29" Colour TV - Which One Should I Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iatb.gourav

Ready To Rule !!!
Hii friends.
Could not find any other place to post this. So, I am posting this here.

Well, I am going to buy a 29" Colour TV preferably around the 10 - 12 k range.

I went to e-zone shop yesterday and found the price (after discount) of Philips 29 PT 5507 to be Rs. 11490 .

Also, there were other models from brands like Korea and Z-line which were around 10k.

So, which one would be a better buy?
Any other options in my budget?

prasad_den

Padawan
Avoid Slimline CRTs at any cost.. I learnt it the hard way..! Go for a normal CRT TV. And my experience with Philips was pathetic. I had to be after them for more than 2 months to get replacement TVs because mine developed colour patches 2 days after purchase. And the geometry was also poor with stretching and distortion..! Finally I threatened them with a consumer court complaint and got the TV replaced with a Samsung..

Some points to note:
1. Slimline CRT technology is not completely mastered as of now.
2. Do not buy a display piece
3. Ask the salesman to put the TV in AV channel with blue bakground and have a look.. colour patches if any are very much visiblr this way.
4. Ask the salesman to change the channel to NDTV or CNN IBN or any other news channel and check the geometry.. Whether there is any bending of the scrolling newsbar below and whether the logos look right, can be appreciated well here.

I sincerely hope you do all this so that you are spared all the mental agony that I faced after spending more than half a month's salary, only to get a TV filled with problems from day 1..

OP
iatb.gourav

iatb.gourav

Ready To Rule !!!
Can you tell me the difference between slimline CRT and widescreen CRT.

Secondly, AFAIK, Philips is a good company. Don't know why you had to suffer so much?
Which model did you get? The model I have selected is Philips 29 PT 5507.

And thanks for the above points. I'll keep them in mind while buying.

Also, personally, I've always liked Samsung for displays (be it in mobile, TV or PC monitor).
It's my budget thats forcing me to go with Philips.

prasad_den

Padawan
Widescreen CRT and Slimline CRT are totally different. Widescreen differs from normal TV in its screen ratio. Normal CRTs are 4:3 while widescreens can be 16:9 or 16:10.
Slimline CRTs are newer models in which the depth of the TV (from surface of screen to the most backward point on the rear) is less by about 30 to 40%. Basically it occupies lesser space than a routine CRT.
And Philips is a good company, agreed, but they have pathetic customer service. I had to make 4 to 5 calls every time to make the service engineer come home and check.. He'll then say that he has to check with the head office and will let you know. But the call won't come from their side ever.. After a frustrating week or so, I'll end up calling them again at least 4 to 5 times till I get the next response.
I had bought the 29PT6807 model. I ended up with two replacement TVs in less than 2 months, and all 3 were defective. The 3rd time they offered me a replacement, I insisted on choosing one from the showroom myself, and to my surprise found that the 3 other pieces they had all had the same problems. Thats when I decided on spending a 1000 bucks more and getting a Samsung.. Now I can say I'm happy.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I personally got myself a 29 inch Samsung Plano a month back but am not completely satisfied with it's contrast aspect.For some reason the Sony Wega 21 inch that I got for my bedroom seems to give a much more vibrant look & feel in terms of colour & contrast.Sony still retails 29 inch CRT Televisions.The only screens it has stopped production with are the 25 incher & 34 inchers as no one buys them anymore.I would vouch for Sony Wega anyday in terms of picture quality.It feels really very crisp & clear all the Sony CRT televisions.

If you have time stop by at any Sony Mony showroom or any Vijay Sales shop & you can get a clear idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom