>26 HDD partitions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Projjwal

free world from money
Generally we know all the hard disk partition are shown by a alphabet.Starting from C to Z I think that system don't have any FDD or Optical Drive.If we use A & B as HDD partition (I am not sure) then the maximum number of partitions possible is 26.If I want more than 26 partition then what is the alphabet of it ?
I am going to buy a 400GB HDD & i prefers small size partition .Because i format partitions frequently. Normally i use 12 GB partition size.So, the number of partition is around 31-32(Real size of 400GB HDD is aroud 380GB).

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ You are going nuts I think. Making 26 partition is something crazy.
If in windows, A: and B:, both are reserved for floppy drives. Now I dont know if >26 partitions are possible, but if they are then they will be named C1: C2: ;)

And yeah, In case you are a gamer, then nowdays good games take around 4-5-6 GBs of space, this can pose problem if all your partitions are half filled :p

Waise wait for some geeky reply, I dont think its possible.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hmmm.. i dunno abt windows but linux numbers them as hda1/2....5/6... etc. any mbr can hold upto 4 partition records. that mebbe 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and 1 extended. in the extended partition, theoretically any number of logical part. can be created. i think kernel 2.2 supported only upto 16 partitions. that may haf increased now.

i suppose windows will support at least upto 20 such things, esp. the newer version. an advice will be to make 25gb ones.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
yups you CAN have greater than 26 partitions , but then you'll have to mount these partitions as folder under your existing partitions rather than giving em letters . but yes , it can be done and windows supports any number of partitions .

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Hehe.

A and B are reserved. You can't use them. HDD's can use partitions starting from C and you can have any no. of partitions but y do u need it. I find 5-6 partitions enough for a 250GB HDD

OP
Projjwal

Projjwal

free world from money
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
yups you CAN have greater than 26 partitions , but then you'll have to mount these partitions as folder under your existing partitions rather than giving em letters . but yes , it can be done and windows supports any number of partitions .

And @ bhushan05d251 at last some one said it's possible.:idea: But I don't know the process of mount a partition as folder. Pls tell me de process...

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Projjwal said:
And @ bhushan05d251 at last some one said it's possible.:idea: But I don't know the process of mount a partition as folder. Pls tell me de process...
Start->Run "compmgmt.msc"

Click on "Disk Management" on left

Right-Click on partition->"Change drive letter n paths"

Click "add" in the following dialog .

then select "Mount in empty NTFS folder"

you can mount a partition to more than one folders :)

or u can have a partition mounted as more than one drives , folder or ny combination .

OP
Projjwal

Projjwal

free world from money
Thx I did it but there is a problem suppose u have a partition named D: now u mount another partition as folder inside d: named "xx".
Now the problem start if i format D: the xx partition also formated...

Any solution for it...???

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Projjwal said:
Thx I did it but there is a problem suppose u have a partition named D: now u mount another partition as folder inside d: named "xx".
Now the problem start if i format D: the xx partition also formated...

Any solution for it...???
what u can do s make a separate drive for mounting all other partitions . this way u'll know this drive has mounted partitions n u won't format it :)

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
more then 26 Partitions? have you lost your mind? I personally would not advise that thats what folders are for... but hey let us know how it turns out for you. why again do you want so many partitions??? point?:|

Vivek788

In the zone
hm...nice piece of info....

But 26 partitions...wat use?better more space together than broken ones
10-15 will be ok

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I read somewhere that the 1st partition is always the fastest and efficient(Tweaking guide i guess). So it's always better to have a really large C drive to install all your games and programs rather than so many partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom