24X7 torrenting on android phone

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
I have recently purchased a karbonn A25 android mobile for my younger brother .
The phone is always at home and i have a wifi connection of 512 kbps ..

I am planning to add a 16gb sd card and use that phone to download torrents 24X7 using ttorrent app,leaving it plugged to power supply.
My wifi is on almost throughout the day..

Will continious torrenting cause any damage to the phone ?
I can do this or drop the idea ?

Thank you.

.jRay.

Youngling
Phones aren't designed to be used for heavy downloads 24/7, a torrent download uses more memory, processor and battery, leaving it plugged in will only worsen the battery and heat up the phone, which will deteriorate it further

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
better to operate the phone only on battery power. switch it off while charging.

btw, the band width is 512kbps or 512kBps??

pentiumlover

Broken In
Flash Storage has limited Read/Writes and frequent Read/Writes would decrease the life of Memory Card .
I used to this earlier but my memory card corrupted mid way on most occasions.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Why dont you use a computer for torrents ? I hope you have one.
Its simply not a good idea to let a phone do such stuff.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Why dont you use a computer for torrents ? I hope you have one.
Its simply not a good idea to let a phone do such stuff.

I have a desktop with hight end graphics card...
Will it not consume more power with the graphic card in compared to other pc's .. ? Approximately how much rs will it consume a day ?
I have a laptop .. But that heats up to 65C processor ..

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
get a Raspberry Pi, and attach an external HDD.

there are plenty of tutorials online on how to do it.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I have a desktop with hight end graphics card...
Will it not consume more power with the graphic card in compared to other pc's .. ? Approximately how much rs will it consume a day ?
I have a laptop .. But that heats up to 65C processor ..

Not really, the power consumed would not be equal to the few thousands you paid for the phone. I guess the idling power is a few watts (10W-20W?)...
and get that laptop fixed. I used a laptop for all such needs when I was in college. Sometimes would not shut it down for weeks on end. No overheating, nothing. Just used a custom power plan with the processor limited to 30% and running on integrated graphics. Used to run at 39-42 when the ambient temperature used to 27-31 C

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Not really, the power consumed would not be equal to the few thousands you paid for the phone. I guess the idling power is a few watts (10W-20W?)...
and get that laptop fixed. I used a laptop for all such needs when I was in college. Sometimes would not shut it down for weeks on end. No overheating, nothing. Just used a custom power plan with the processor limited to 30% and running on integrated graphics. Used to run at 39-42 when the ambient temperature used to 27-31 C

the power at the wall socket would be much higher, ~40-60W.

and using the system nonstop would also lead to huge dust build up, which is unwanted on a high end system.

i'd still go for a RasPi

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
the power at the wall socket would be much higher, ~40-60W.

and using the system nonstop would also lead to huge dust build up, which is unwanted on a high end system.

i'd still go for a RasPi

I have an APC 1.1KvA plugged in 15 ams... correct the spelling :p
Won't the UPS take some power ?
I have an ASUS GTX 660Ti TOP (Core2Quad)- approximately how rupees will it take a day for electricity ?

Yes i will try to buy something like Ras pi next year !

Can you link me how to limit processor to 30% and make it to run on Intergrated Graphics ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
phone won't last longer and so the battery...
if u r ok with that then u can use it as downloader for torrent...

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
if you are still considering the Karbonn A25, here is something..

you can get a RasPi [with a nice container] and a 32GB SD card at that cost [~6.5K].

with the RasPi, you can do almost everything you do on a PC. all with a fraction of power consumption, and without the fear of the phone heating up and bricking :)

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
No i am not stubborn on downloading on mobile ...
I will get ras pi next year ... I have a friend in US . if i gey from US will it be cheap ? Is it advisable to buy from US ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
No i am not stubborn on downloading on mobile ...
I will get ras pi next year ... I have a friend in US . if i gey from US will it be cheap ? Is it advisable to buy from US ?

current economic situation no...
next year depends on conditions (but by then we will have better than Pi)

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Any idea approximately how much rupees i will have to spend for 24hrs if i download on my pc ?

Apc 1.5kvA
Core2quad 2.4Ghz + ASUS gtx660 ti TOP

NL520

Broken In
i have similar problem, looked into raspberry pi (btw its available in india @ 3500 INR), major problem with it is SD card gets corrupted on even a fraction of second power outage(i have inverter) and portable hard disk can't be powered from it.
any workaround?

Top Bottom