24" Dell LCD Monitor - Can I Purchase ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, dell is value for money. I don't remember the model no. but Dell's 19 and 20 inch lcds come with 2000:1 contrast ratio and are priced really cheap. So being a 24inch, it should haf more or at least the same contrast ratio as there is more real estate available.

OP
techtronic

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Got the quotation from HP for a 24" Monitor.
Cost 54K + Taxes. I am going for Dell 24" next month.
I have a query, I am seeing 15.4 inches Toshiba Laptops able to play HD Videos, how is that possible ?
This URL says so
*www.neowin.net/news/main/08/01/06/toshiba-slashes-prices-of-hd-laptops-gives-away-5-hd-movies

The Toshiba HD DVD notebook portfolio consists of four models featuring high-definition widescreen displays with resolutions up to 1080p and screen sizes ranging from 15.4- to 17-inches. The portfolio includes the Satellite A205, Satellite P205, Satellite X205 and Qosmio G45 models.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ I think by downscaling the content to 720P

1080p on 17" is pure bullshit. could be 1080i. just my thought

Last edited:
OP
techtronic

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Just for checking purpose, I downloaded a sample of Transformers HD Rip version and viola I am able to play this 1280*528 in my existing 14" CRT Monitor. How is that possible ? When my maximum display resolution is 1024*768 in a 14" Monitor, how am I able to play this 1280*528 formatted video ?

XBL

Broken In
Just for checking purpose, I downloaded a sample of Transformers HD Rip version and viola I am able to play this 1280*528 in my existing 14" CRT Monitor. How is that possible ? When my maximum display resolution is 1024*768 in a 14" Monitor, how am I able to play this 1280*528 formatted video ?
it is done by shrinking the video to fit your monitor

BTW
i recently bought the Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor for 20499 incl TAX for my XBOX 360 and I must say it is AWESOME

But if you only want to watch 720p rips you should go for 22"

OP
techtronic

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
it is done by shrinking the video to fit your monitor

BTW
i recently bought the Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor for 20499 incl TAX for my XBOX 360 and I must say it is AWESOME

But if you only want to watch 720p rips you should go for 22"

Did you buy the 24" Monitor in India ?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Can we spot any difference between 780p & 1080p on 24" screen?

But it does not have HDMI output. How did you negotiate that price?

Yes, there is difference between 720p and 1080p but I can say that you'll not be dissapointed with 720p image quality.
For dell you have to bargain like you would do at any shop.

psmontte

Broken In
Yes, there is difference between 720p and 1080p but I can say that you'll not be dissapointed with 720p image quality.
For dell you have to bargain like you would do at any shop.

But does this difference visible to naked eye on 24" Monitor.

And how do PC Montiors compare against TVs when running HD movies (DVI/HDMI output).

Pls. share tips on how to bargain with Dell.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
See if you look at close up then there is differnce but if you watch movies from say 8-9 ft (like I do) you'll not see any difference. And yes from that distance both 720p and 1080p looks same, even dvds look good.

Most lcd tvs below 37" would scale down the 1080p to 720p resolution as they don't support full HD (1080p). But if you get 37" or larger tv then, yes the picture is better (since most tv's use 10-bit panel compared 6/8-bit for monitor) but you have to sit at a distance to view it. Any display that supports Full HD will show it to its full capablity, baring that you have the hardware to run it.

Just bargain like you would do at your local store, else if you know that some has got the same model for less (than your qoutation) give them his/hers reference and you should be able to get down the price.

In my opinion I would get the biggest display that comes within my budget and also the monitor should have most inputs possible, like S-video, composite, component, HDMI, VGA etc.

psmontte

Broken In
See if you look at close up then there is differnce but if you watch movies from say 8-9 ft (like I do) you'll not see any difference. And yes from that distance both 720p and 1080p looks same, even dvds look good.

Most lcd tvs below 37" would scale down the 1080p to 720p resolution as they don't support full HD (1080p). But if you get 37" or larger tv then, yes the picture is better (since most tv's use 10-bit panel compared 6/8-bit for monitor) but you have to sit at a distance to view it. Any display that supports Full HD will show it to its full capablity, baring that you have the hardware to run it.

Just bargain like you would do at your local store, else if you know that some has got the same model for less (than your qoutation) give them his/hers reference and you should be able to get down the price.

In my opinion I would get the biggest display that comes within my budget and also the monitor should have most inputs possible, like S-video, composite, component, HDMI, VGA etc.

Pls. guide me how good are LCD monitors vis-a-vis LCD TV's when watching 780p content.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Pls. guide me how good are LCD monitors vis-a-vis LCD TV's when watching 780p content.

It's 720p and not 780p :)
Anyways, you just can't explain it............you'll have to see it for yourself. If possible try out some demo at the shop. For only movies TV is definitely better.

hailgautam

Youngling
which is better:
Dell SP2208WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor With Webcam for 15,386 or

Dell E248WFP Entry 24" WideScreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor Rs. 19,188

Check the Dell link to analyze the products and give your comments. I am also looking for one. I had a 19"er and I am trying to get a bigger one.

OP
techtronic

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
24" is always better as the resolution suits perfectly for 1080p and 720p HD DVD and Blu-ray video playback alike.
Trust me I am having Dell E248WFP 24" Monitor myself.

psmontte

Broken In
24" is always better as the resolution suits perfectly for 1080p and 720p HD DVD and Blu-ray video playback alike.
Trust me I am having Dell E248WFP 24" Monitor myself.

If you had to choose between a 24" lcd tv & pc monitor, which would you choose for watching movies.

And what are the best format (with smallest file size) for movies?

OP
techtronic

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
It depends buddy, if you want to have good video quality as well as ultimate audio clarity (5.1), then HDRips are the best which come in the 1080p and 720p. Size is always a problem for HDRips ranging from 4.5 GB to even 15 GB for one movie.

DVDRips come in a 1.37 GB (2 CDs) or a 700 MB rip with single channel audio.

When it comes to choosing between LCD TV and LCD Monitor, I would go for a LCD Monitor as most of the time it comes with a DVI D Interface as well as a VGA Card and a HDMI Provision.

If you can get a LCD TV with all the above mentioned connectors then u can go for a LCD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom