2.1 Speaker required for PC

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well, it's yet another of those 2.1 speaker thread but seriously I'm stuck with decision making for my set. My budget is Rs. 3k and the most suggested ones within this budget are Altec Lansing VS4121 and Philips MMS430/SPA5300. Unfortunately, after going through a real lot of professional and user reviews, I'm not quite satisfied with any one of them. They seem to deliver overall powerful bass but quite muddy in low and mid range.

In fact, I have a small room and want a speaker which has a good balance of bass/treble and good output at high/mid/low ranges. Overpowered boomy bass is completely unnecessary, so is the noise/hum in higher volumes. The speakers should be magnetically shielded, unlike many of those Altec Lansing ones.

I think I made my necessities clear and though they are a bit overwhelming for my budget, I just wanna know my choices.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Digit included a speaker review this month in the magazine. I've seen and heard the Altec Lansing MX 5021 and have pretty much enjoyed it but I don't think it is within your budget so I'm just going to quote the best Buy Winner in the Review done above.

Zebronics SW2600W - Rs 1100

However note I still haven't read the article fully and I'm just quoting it blindly. So you might want to wait for a much more educated opinion.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Yup.. Altec Lansing MX 5021 rock.. but it is beyond Rs. 6k I guess.. You could try and get Altec Lansing ATP3.. for Rs. 3.1k

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Digit included a speaker review this month in the magazine. I've seen and heard the Altec Lansing MX 5021 and have pretty much enjoyed it but I don't think it is within your budget so I'm just going to quote the best Buy Winner in the Review done above.

Zebronics SW2600W - Rs 1100

However note I still haven't read the article fully and I'm just quoting it blindly. So you might want to wait for a much more educated opinion.
Ahem, I've also gone through the review, at least the web version of it. Anyway, I think it's a bit too much to trust a company like Zebronics when buying speaker sets.

Yup.. Altec Lansing MX 5021 rock.. but it is beyond Rs. 6k I guess.. You could try and get Altec Lansing ATP3.. for Rs. 3.1k
Altec Lansing ATP3 is most probably replaced by the newer model called VS4121. According to some 'expert' reviews, it has low response in mid and low ranges. Also some users complained about a strange hum when nothing was playing which might be related to bad earthing.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ahem, I've also gone through the review, at least the web version of it. Anyway, I think it's a bit too much to trust a company like Zebronics when buying speaker sets.
I can understand that. Although I don't trust the company beyond a certain extent, I do trust the review to a point to where I can base my decisions on. Or at least its been how I've been buying my hardware till date :) .

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
There is another model called Umax PowerBeats.. they sound nice... good clarity in the the vocals and instrumentals but the Bass might not be that responsive.. but overall, a very good buy for Rs. 1300 IMO..

Forgive me for my ignorance dude, but nothing sounds better once you hear MX5021 in their glory..

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
There is another model called Umax PowerBeats.. they sound nice... good clarity in the the vocals and instrumentals but the Bass might not be that responsive.. but overall, a very good buy for Rs. 1300 IMO..

Forgive me for my ignorance dude, but nothing sounds better once you hear MX5021 in their glory..
I know about the MX5021 and how it sounds but it's way above my budget. :(

I can understand that. Although I don't trust the company beyond a certain extent, I do trust the review to a point to where I can base my decisions on. Or at least its been how I've been buying my hardware till date :) .
Reasonable, but still Zebronics is definitely not in the list of companies that make lasting products.

*www.thinkdigit.com/Audio-Devices/Digit-April-2010-Speaker-comparison-test_4318.html
Well, I mentioned that I had already gone through the Digit Speaker Tests. :|

suave_guy

pedal to metal
ATP3s have lived their life and are pretty old now. VS4121 are decent but midrange is slightly muddy. Try auditioning Creative T3200 though its slightly above your budget. Avoid logitech at this budget. Their subs tend to be boomy in order to compensate for short drivers. If at all try only logitech X-230.

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
ATP3s have lived their life and are pretty old now. VS4121 are decent but midrange is slightly muddy. Try auditioning Creative T3200 though its slightly above your budget. Avoid logitech at this budget. Their subs tend to be boomy in order to compensate for short drivers. If at all try only logitech X-230.
How's Creative T3120?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

So, summing things up, I have Altec Lansing VS4121, Philips MMS430/SPA5300 and Creative T3200 in mind. Didn't find anything else reasonable in my range yet. And you guys are diplomatically pushing me to go for VS4121 even when I'm not sure about it's Mid and Low range performance. Someone care to shed a little light on the subject?

latino_ansari

Legendary Darknight
i will suggest u to go with vs4121... i'm using it and there is no humming sound as complained by some users... it better than philips model according to me.... dont know how it compares to creative t3200...

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
My vote for Philips MMS430! Listening them for over 3 yrs. Superb Highs and Mids. However, lacks low range growl. But the higher RMS power, i.e. 50W makes up pretty well for overall thumps and punches.
Moreover, service is quite descent. :)

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
i will suggest u to go with vs4121... i'm using it and there is no humming sound as complained by some users... it better than philips model according to me.... dont know how it compares to creative t3200...

My vote for Philips MMS430! Listening them for over 3 yrs. Superb Highs and Mids. However, lacks low range growl. But the higher RMS power, i.e. 50W makes up pretty well for overall thumps and punches.
Moreover, service is quite descent. :)
You know what? This is my problem now, stuck between two choices and both have almost same number of recommendation. :oops:

ankushkool

Youngling
whats their price even i am lookin 2 get one :)

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Just came across these: Genius SW-V2.1 1255, Logitech x-230, looks promising :p

Last edited:

suave_guy

pedal to metal
Mayanksharma is right, philips has decent midrange but their bass lacks the desired rumble.

As far as i know i have'nt seen creative T3120. Are you sure thats the correct model??
Creative T3200 has impressive balanced sound. In VS4121 bass does tend to overcome mids sometimes and this is where T3200 has an edge. Having said that VS4121 is a good option and you must try auditioning VS4121 and T3200 back to back.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am too looking for a speaker in 3k budget...

I dont see much of a choice VS4121 to be the best

one more question...how do we connect these speakers to dvd players coz dvd player dont have a 3.5 mm jack

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
whats their price even i am lookin 2 get one :)

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Just came across these: Genius SW-V2.1 1255, Logitech x-230, looks promising :p

I am too looking for a speaker in 3k budget...

I dont see much of a choice VS4121 to be the best

one more question...how do we connect these speakers to dvd players coz dvd player dont have a 3.5 mm jack
Thanks for hijacking my thread! I think we should ask the mods to make it official 2.1 Speaker thread! :D :D :D :D

ankushkool

Youngling
Can someone give the prices for : Altec Lansing VS4121, Philips MMS430 and Creative T3200.

and anyone using Genius SW-V2.1 1255 or Logitech x-230?

Top Bottom