itsabhishek

Right off the assembly line
sir i own a studio.. now i want 2 buy my 1st dslr for studio photography and also for outdoor purpose like party, maarriage etc..
i have read many articles in the net and i m totally confused which slr should i purchase... my budget is 30k...
plz help me..
reply soon..

sujoyp

Grand Master
Re: 1st SLR???????????

for studio and professional use u have to get flash and a fast lens like a tamron 17-50 2.8 too ....I think your budget is insufficient to get everything new...

will think and suggest properly at night :)

Ok soo I think in 30k u have very less choices...I want to know how much can you invest in near future...

If u want body + kit then get D5100
or
u can get a used D3100+kit and a nikon SB600 flash
or
u can get a new D3100 kit + a Yougnuo YN-560

I dont think u can get any better combo....but just remember flash is one of the most important part in birthday marriage photography..this a photographer at my friends marriage told me.

Last edited:
OP
I

itsabhishek

i know budget is very low but its only for camera not lenses and flash... for now suggest me only a camera..

sujoyp

Grand Master

Nice purchase...It seems I missed ur thread somehow ...congrats.

If u have any query regarding D3100 u can ask me :)

OP
I

itsabhishek

i am unable 2 adjust with it... some fotos i get of very gud quality... but some i get of vry low quality... plz help..

sujoyp

Grand Master
dont take shortcut in queries....tell us what mode you are using (PASM,auto)...which lens (18-55 or other)...which type of metering (center,spot,matrix)...type of focussing (single,servo)...taking the pic at day or night

and a sample pic please post here.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
i am unable 2 adjust with it... some fotos i get of very gud quality... but some i get of vry low quality... plz help..

Are you talking about focus? Try manual focus too.
If its night/ low light photography, make sure the ISO is not too high unless absolutely essential.

If you are having difficulty using the manual setting, then switch to Full auto mode, half press the shutter button, see what the camera thinks are ideal settings for the particluar scene and experiment from that baseline.

Offtopic: Are you using DSLRs for the first time? If yes, dont worry, it takes a bit of getting used to them. :)

Also check out this camera simulator:
CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified

OP
I

itsabhishek

@ pranav .. yes sir i am a beginner.. i have 0 knowlege about slr.. i used point and shoot fot the past 4 years.. i use slr mainly for studio portrait photography and other occasions like marriage and party.... camers sim is really a gud site .. than u sir

sujoyp

Grand Master
If u are a begineer then have patience with manual controls like PASM modes and combination of ISO,Shutterspeed and Aperture :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Abhi,
You have your DSLR with you. It's a way better than camerasim (no offense Pranav).

Read your manual to get to know about camera.
Start with these two tutorials Digital Photography Tips for Beginners
21 Settings, Techniques and Rules All New Camera Owners Should Know

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Abhi,
You have your DSLR with you. It's a way better than camerasim (no offense Pranav).

No offence taken buddy :)

Yep, I absolutely agree that the best way to learn is by practising, but that camerasim is for ppl like me who are sometimes just too lazy to go through the cycle of shoot-view-correct on a camera :D

@OP: Never fear to experiment, afterall in the digicams, what do you have to lose anyway... Take as many pics as possible, of anything..
And since you are new to DSLRs, I'd suggest starting off with brightly lit subjects in Auto mode of the camera, like outdoors during day or close to windows.

To start off remember these:
At any given point of time

Shutter/exposure time : Longer means brighter photo (but may get blurry if the subject moves too fast)
ISO: Higher number means brighter photo (but above ISO800 you'll start to see noise, those green and red dots in the pic)
aperture/f-stop : How wide the camera 'eye' opens. (For the time being forget this part. Its important to know this, but you can learn this as you get more comfortable with the camera)

And finally- Get to know your camera. Even if you dont know how a particular setting will affect the image, learn how to set/adjust it anyways. I cannot overstress how important this is.

Have fun, and as you start getting doubts, ask the friendly guys over here :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
one of my friend took 15000 pics in 1st 6 months of his new D5100....while learning ....I took 13k in 1st year...soo just keep practicing :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Get any recent camera from Nikon or Canon in your budget. For studio work, one needs light. Get an elinchrom set instead of thinking of building inventory on small speedlights. Offcourse, the studio lights won't be portable enough if you plan to carry outdoors & will also need an AC mains.

Top Bottom