1st lumia 520 win8 mobile user. plz help could not do anything!!

phrick

Broken In
i bought a lumia 520 win8 mobile based phone 3 days ago. here are some questions and problems please answer/rectify them. please help>> * is it true that to download full hd videos from youtube.com in the phone itself you got to have 3g otherwise one must connect to the pc and download. if yes i only have 2g connection and is there a hack to dowload through 2g. please suggest me the best app to download hd videos from youtube. ps willing to spend. * also in search of free torrent client came across online client zbigz.com but does not work properly, also found bitlet.com but asks for java. how to install java on win8 mobile? please suggest free torrent client or else a cheap but good client. * how do you download drivers, softwares for desktop. say catalyst 13.4 whql driver with resume function. uc browser v2.9 pauses the download when it is minimised. is this due to its new feature "smart-download"? is there a workaround for this problem? if not then suggest a uc browser alternative either free or paid. * also in nokia music, in the enhancement section, it is empty: why? please suggest an audio player preferably free with some graphic equalisers. * also suggest a good video player with advanced function and hw acceleration. will ask more.... thank you every one and please please do reply new phone able to do nothing....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
* is it true that to download full hd videos from youtube.com in the phone itself you got to have 3g otherwise one must connect to the pc and download. if yes i only have 2g connection and is there a hack to dowload through 2g. please suggest me the best app to download hd videos from youtube. ps willing to spend.

this is common sense. 720p videos weight in a lot and unless you have fast broadband or 3G, downloading HD videos will be a real pain.

* how do you download drivers, softwares for desktop. say catalyst 13.4 whql driver with resume function. uc browser v2.9 pauses the download when it is minimised. is this due to its new feature "smart-download"? is there a workaround for this problem? if not then suggest a uc browser alternative either free or paid.

i think if you use any browser or download manager and minimize it, it'll pause the download.

OP
P

phrick

Broken In
this is common sense. 720p videos weight in a lot and unless you have fast broadband or 3G, downloading HD videos will be a real pain. i think if you use any browser or download manager and minimize it, it'll pause the download.
1) see, i can take the pain i just wanted to know if its the limitation of the os not allowing one to download through 2g speed network... again i possess common sense but 3g is not available i our area (8 km radius maybe): sad but true!! i knew tubemate did it for android; even if minimised and the pdf reader active. i asked for a youtube dwnldr app similar to tubemate with resume and resolution choosing about which you did not say anything. but please do... ok. more i wont be downloading extreme bitrate brrip quality movies but just compressed youtube clip: i swear i can deal with it now plz suggest me a youtube downloading app which would work in the background and could resume downloads. also my previous phone xperia x10i with andro 2.3 with uc was able to continue downloading in the background. in this phone you cannot even use the calculator... why? help! plz dont forget the torrent client. recommend one too that would actually work.

this is common sense. 720p videos weight in a lot and unless you have fast broadband or 3G, downloading HD videos will be a real pain. i think if you use any browser or download manager and minimize it, it'll pause the download.
1) see, i can take the pain i just wanted to know if its the limitation of the os not allowing one to download through 2g speed network... again i possess common sense but 3g is not available i our area (8 km radius maybe): sad but true!! i knew tubemate did it for android; even if minimised and the pdf reader active. i asked for a youtube dwnldr app similar to tubemate with resume and resolution choosing about which you did not say anything. but please do... ok. more i wont be downloading extreme bitrate brrip quality movies but just compressed youtube clip: i swear i can deal with it now plz suggest me a youtube downloading app which would work in the background and could resume downloads. also my previous phone xperia x10i with andro 2.3 with uc was able to continue downloading in the background. in this phone you cannot even use the calculator... why? help! plz dont forget the torrent client. recommend one too that would actually work.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Isn't that due to win 8's native issue of freezing of minimised apps? My 2 year old java based phone can run 10's of applications (till it's breath lasts), minimised, with no freezing at all. True multi-tasking, at least when compared to win 8.

OP
P

phrick

Broken In
Isn't that due to win 8's native issue of freezing of minimised apps? My 2 year old java based phone can run 10's of applications (till it's breath lasts), minimised, with no freezing at all. True multi-tasking, at least when compared to win 8.

so what do you suggest?
is there a way for rxample i am running 5 apps simultaniosly is it possible to give priority to just 2 of them or there is just no hope?
again one more question why files downloaded rhroughh ucb does not show on pc desktop when i browse through through the memory card?
i selling it off the only way? plz help me decide what to do...
but boy it was fast and responsive not to mention good looking! i really liked it...
so is android the only way?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I can't suggest you anything as I'm not much acquainted with win platform. But if I'm right, only some of the native apps are allowed to run in background without freezing. Some win user can clear this.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
so what do you suggest?
is there a way for rxample i am running 5 apps simultaniosly is it possible to give priority to just 2 of them or there is just no hope?
again one more question why files downloaded rhroughh ucb does not show on pc desktop when i browse through through the memory card?
but boy it was fast and responsive not to mention good looking! i really liked it...

It is upto the App Developers to choose whether to run the App in background or not. You can do nothing unless your app developer decides to change his mind to provide an update to the app.

Flash

Lost in speed
i bought a lumia 520 win8 mobile based phone 3 days ago. here are some questions and problems please answer/rectify them. please help>>

* is it true that to download full hd videos from youtube.com in the phone itself you got to have 3g otherwise one must connect to the pc and download. if yes i only have 2g connection and is there a hack to dowload through 2g. please suggest me the best app to download hd videos from youtube. ps willing to spend.
Recently, Youtube itself updated their app and it's better than 3rd party apps. You can use wi-fi to stream HD videos, else go for 3G.

* also in search of free torrent client came across online client zbigz.com but does not work properly, also found bitlet.com but asks for java. how to install java on win8 mobile? please suggest free torrent client or else a cheap but good client.
You can use utorrent remote/torrent buddy (free), and you can't install anything (even apps/games) outside of Windows store. Same applies to java.

* how do you download drivers, softwares for desktop. say catalyst 13.4 whql driver with resume function. uc browser v2.9 pauses the download when it is minimised. is this due to its new feature "smart-download"? is there a workaround for this problem? if not then suggest a uc browser alternative either free or paid.
No idea.

* also in nokia music, in the enhancement section, it is empty: why? please suggest an audio player preferably free with some graphic equalisers.
Lumia 520 lacks equalizer, and maybe in future update - we will get one.

* also suggest a good video player with advanced function and hw acceleration. will ask more....
Usually 3rd party video players in Windows store, sucks more than the inbuilt one..

thank you every one and please please do reply new phone able to do nothing....
It varies from person to person.

First post your questions in a clear manner. It's irritating to see clumps of words.
BTW, replies are in green.

so what do you suggest?

If it's for Songs & Videos, it will be shown immediately in "Music + Videos".
However for Apps/games downloaded from Windows store, you will have to wait for few mins to show up in "Store" for installation.

If you've downloaded apps/games other than Windows store, it will appear greyed out in Store, and you CANT install it.

Top Bottom