1993 Mumbai blasts: Sanjay Dutt gets 6 years RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The purpose of sentencing a criminal is not simply to punish him, but is equally meant to discourage others from committing the same crime. If criminals were pardoned just because they appear to have no intention of committing more crimes, that would provide a huge loophole in any justice system.

I was in Mumbai/Bombay during the 1993 bombings. I was on my way to the hospital where my brother was being treated for cancer when some of them happened. I saw the smoke from some of the blasts and heard one of the explosions, but didn't know what they were at the time. Later, I saw the mutilated bodies of some of the dead and the wounded. It was terrible. I bought my plane ticket home in the Indian Airlines building where one bomb had blasted through several floors.

I agree that justice in India is often unsatisfactory, but no nation, including the most advanced ones, has a pefect system.

Dutt broke the law by illegally possessing dangerous weapons. Many others keep illegal weapons, but even if Dutt truly had no connection with the terrorist acts, he increased his chances of being caught by associating with anti-social elements at a time when serious crimes against humanity were being committed.

punk

Beyond the call of duty
pimpom said:
The purpose of sentencing a criminal is not simply to punish him, but is equally meant to discourage others from committing the same crime. If criminals were pardoned just because they appear to have no intention of committing more crimes, that would provide a huge loophole in any justice system.

I was in Mumbai/Bombay during the 1993 bombings. I was on my way to the hospital where my brother was being treated for cancer when some of them happened. I saw the smoke from some of the blasts and heard one of the explosions, but didn't know what they were at the time. Later, I saw the mutilated bodies of some of the dead and the wounded. It was terrible. I bought my plane ticket home in the Indian Airlines building where one bomb had blasted through several floors.

I agree that justice in India is often unsatisfactory, but no nation, including the most advanced ones, has a pefect system.

Dutt broke the law by illegally possessing dangerous weapons. Many others keep illegal weapons, but even if Dutt truly had no connection with the terrorist acts, he increased his chances of being caught by associating with anti-social elements at a time when serious crimes against humanity were being committed.

Well said, only because a person has changed/reformed does not make him/his crime less serious, and yes courts or law allow/decrease the sentence based on ones good behaviour but that comes during the time a person is already sentenced and in jail and not on bail. if one should be pardoned just because he is reformed then with our judicial system taking years to sentence/clear cases every tom, dick & harry will use this as a potent tool from escaping the punishment. SD got the punishment not only for poccesing an AK-47 but also due to his connections with D-gang. The judge has done the right thing & this should go as a reminder for had been, have been and would be criminals.

nix

what saddens me is that people with power, can do anything in this country and get away with. if sanjay had the right connections, he would could have walked out free. but he didnt try to do that. also, if salman khan was in the place of sanjay dutt now, he would not be given RI. for he being a memeber of the minority community...

praka123

left this forum longback
Sanjay is inn and Terrorist Abdul Nassar Ma Adani of Coimbatore blast is freed today by tamil nadu court.
Coimbatore: A sessions court in Coimbatore acquitted Kerala-based People's Democratic Party leader Abdul Nasser Madani, in the 1998 serial bomb blasts case, but found S A Basha guilty.

Basha, the founder of the al-Umma, a suspected Muslim terror outfit, was found guilty of "criminal conspiracy" and transporting bombs in the 1998 serial bomb blasts case.

Of the 14 accused in the blasts case, 13 people have been convicted. Madani was the only one who has been acquitted.

The judgment of the special court in the city, which began on Wednesday, comes almost nine years after 12 blasts ravaged the city.

It was on February 14, 1998 when hundreds had gathered in Coimbatore during the election campaign visit of senior BJP leader L K Advani that bombs went off at 12 different places in the city, including the rally site, killing 58 people.
*www.ibnlive.com/news/13-guilty-top-accused-madani-acquitted/45998-3.html

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
mahendraraut said:
What is meaning of 6 years of jail?(6*365*24)hrs.. or (3*365*12) hrs..
because i was discussing about this news with one man (who having little experiance of jail ki hawa), he told me that six years will be counted as (6*365*12)hrs. means one full days is counted for 12 hrs. is it that so..?
i m in trouble, is it indian law?:shock:.
actually he told me that he also sentenced for six days of jail, but it was counted as (24*3) days, 3 days only..:confused:
and if its true then, Munnabhai will be back in (36-8 {16/2} ) months.:grin:

this is TRUE.....i have spoken with oen of my lawyer friend and he said that is true....and it works that way.... as he has spent 16 montsh in jail tat is 16 * 2 = 32 months....and 6years/2 = 36 months
so more 4 months of jail for him.....

pushkaraj

In the zone
punk said:
Well said, only because a person has changed/reformed does not make him/his crime less serious, and yes courts or law allow/decrease the sentence based on ones good behaviour but that comes during the time a person is already sentenced and in jail and not on bail. if one should be pardoned just because he is reformed then with our judicial system taking years to sentence/clear cases every tom, dick & harry will use this as a potent tool from escaping the punishment. SD got the punishment not only for poccesing an AK-47 but also due to his connections with D-gang. The judge has done the right thing & this should go as a reminder for had been, have been and would be criminals.
@punk, i completely agree with you that whatever crime one does, he is going to be caught, sooner or later.

But don't you think 13 years of trial is a bit too long. Of course, now that dutt has been sentenced, as i already mentioned, the message to other criminals is very clear. But is that enough to deter a criminal from committing crime, because he knows that criminal trials in India are slow-going and probably he will think that he has enough time to wipe out the evidences or do something that would save him from the clutches of law.

So even though he gets caught in the end, he has already commited the crime. And then most of the losses are indeed irreversible. My point is that the Indian legal system must perform the trials and punishments in such a manner that one won't commit crime in the first place.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
cynosure said:
And dont forget that around Rs. 100 crore is already put in his films. If he goes to jail for 4 years, we wont be seeing the upcoming Munnabhai 3.
who cares if we dont get munnabhai 3
He did a crime so he will have to pay for it
& people r sayin that he is reformed ...so what after all he did commit the crime:rolleyes:
& those who r sayin tht for possesin arms 6 years is too much..dude he was not possessing an indian made pistol he had AK-56:confused: + he had contact with the underworld so the punishment is ok

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
::cyborg:: said:
same here i also against the decision

he has had enough he lost his mother now father and now the law is killing him
And I'm glad that you aren't a judge in a court of law.

indian_samosa

No longer here..
wizrulz said:
this is TRUE.....i have spoken with oen of my lawyer friend and he said that is true....and it works that way.... as he has spent 16 montsh in jail tat is 16 * 2 = 32 months....and 6years/2 = 36 months
so more 4 months of jail for him.....

But then Why dont they specify as just 3 years if the sentence is 6 years ?? Why the added complication ?? Than those who are sentenced for life shud be out by their half lives ??

punk

Beyond the call of duty
pushkaraj said:
@punk, i completely agree with you that whatever crime one does, he is going to be caught, sooner or later.

But don't you think 13 years of trial is a bit too long. Of course, now that dutt has been sentenced, as i already mentioned, the message to other criminals is very clear. But is that enough to deter a criminal from committing crime, because he knows that criminal trials in India are slow-going and probably he will think that he has enough time to wipe out the evidences or do something that would save him from the clutches of law.So even though he gets caught in the end, he has already commited the crime. And then most of the losses are indeed irreversible. My point is that the Indian legal system must perform the trials and punishments in such a manner that one won't commit crime in the first place.

Sadly yes, 13 years of trial is really loooooooong, but that is the way which we have to live in, if it was not for SD people including yourself would never have given time to think about the time taken for law to take its own course.
A person may commit a crime thinking "that criminal trials in India are slow-going and probably he will think that he has enough time to wipe out the evidences or do something that would save him from the clutches of law" but ultimately he will get caught. and only because of many people who have commited greater crime roaming around freely does not justify that SD getting a punishment for his crime a wrong one. A crime/deed once done is never reversible they can only be punished and this can be set as a example for others. Yes indian courts should pull up their pace and clear the pending cases in a fast pace so that only guilty are inside and innocent are outside. If only SD had joined Congress or atleast supported it all cases against him would have been failed like Lalloo prasad, Jayalalitha, Mayawathi, Karunanidhi, Madhani, Rajiv gandhi etc as the CBI stands for Congress based investigation. Remember one thing please, a person being projected on the screen may not be the same one in his real life and vice versa like Munnabhai/SD.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
indian_samosa said:
But then Why dont they specify as just 3 years if the sentence is 6 years ?? Why the added complication ?? Than those who are sentenced for life shud be out by their half lives ??

its accordong to rules...if they say 3 yrs then it will be half of it :D......
And life sentence is 14 yrs...not more than that.....

indian_samosa

No longer here..
wizrulz said:
its accordong to rules...if they say 3 yrs then it will be half of it :D......
And life sentence is 14 yrs...not more than that.....

So then life sentence comes to 7 years ?? or its 14 years (normal human years) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom