16gb sony pendrive not detected in win7

curioustechy

Journeyman
Of late i bought a 16gb sony pen drive (model: USM16GM/GC2 IN 31300356). It worked fine with my office computer running win7 and ubuntu 11.10 (runs fine in both os). My home pc is loaded with win7, winxp & ubuntu 11.10 - here the pen drive is detected in xp and ubuntu; but when i plug the pen drive into win7, the led just keeps on blinking and pen drive s not detecteced ... some times led light just flashes in the beginning and then stops completely. what is this weird problem?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
guys read his post carefully - he said pen Drive not working only on is home pc's win 7 OS ( on XP and ubuntu it's fine though both at home and office ) - so the issue is with Op's home pc's win 7 OS - may be Op need to re-install USB drivers.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Topgear is 99% correct... I don't think usb drivers need to be reinstalled on my home pc - because all my usb ports accept all of my other pendrives and usb devices like external hdd etc.... :-(

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
guys read his post carefully - he said pen Drive not working only on is home pc's win 7 OS ( on XP and ubuntu it's fine though both at home and office ) - so the issue is with Op's home pc's win 7 OS - may be Op need to re-install USB drivers.

Or, he have formatted the flash drive in Ubuntu in ext3/4 format which win7 can't read.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
formatting the PD in ext3/any other linux compatible file system may be the reason but Op has mentioned on his first post that the PD is working on his office pc running Ubuntu and win 7 and even on Op's home pc Xp and Ubuntu can detect but win 7 can't detect the PD only but all other external storage devices are running fine .. may it's by it's hardware id in win 7 by sme security apps before.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Then is the current filesystem? Plus it in linux (in whatever linux it is working), and see the file system. Then format it again, with NTFS with 4KB of allocation unit size.
Then post the result.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
yippee....! finally the problem is solved
This is what i did...
Even after formatting with NTFS (4KB) the pen drive was not detected but for once.... then i clean formatted the pen drive using 'diskpart' dos command.
Anyway thanks for all the support

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
there is nothing like mess up in this case mr.d6bmg. This is a brand new sony pendrive and right from the first plug in to my home pc win7 it was not detected.... and i've done no other experimenting with my pendrive except what was discussed here

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what i did...
Even after formatting with NTFS (4KB) the pen drive was not detected but for once.... then i clean formatted the pen drive using 'diskpart' dos command.

glad to know that you have sorted out the issue ;-)

This is what i did...

This may come useful to other people.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
there is nothing like mess up in this case mr.d6bmg. This is a brand new sony pendrive and right from the first plug in to my home pc win7 it was not detected.... and i've done no other experimenting with my pendrive except what was discussed here

Then you are just lucky. ;)
Enjoy.

Top Bottom