The Minimalist Thread

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
of late, i want to buy a new PS3 [because the last phat one broke]. but since i will be buying an Enfield soon, i am trying to reason with myself, is the ps3 really required?? :\

The real question is that do you require an enfield?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Gem of a thread.

I'm not exactly a minimalist guy but more or less near to it. Credits : my father.

Even though we are a middle class family, slowly nearing the upper bracket, but my father taught me when to spend money and when to save, so that leisures of life can be enjoyed to max. He, till date goes to office by bike (daily commute of 40+kms) so that he could save daily approx 100 on petrol, and I salute him for that because in 40+ temps, you just can't force yourself to take bike if all the leisure is lying at home, and all this to ensure what [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] said.
When I left home for studies (2006), I used to argue that I want to travel by AC class, but my father simply said that it's not that we can't afford it but it's the time for your struggle which will eventually make you learn the value of money and when to spend it. That time, I didn't get it, but now I do.
Same way I got my PC in 9th after crying for long 6 years ! (I wanted it since I was in 4th, childhood passion). Heck, even he didn't buy me a video game (TV wala), but I don't regret that.

Some of my friends say that where will I take all this money ? But I know the answer and just smile by not replying anything. Time will take it's time and teach them.

Lastly, thanks for the thread and [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION], for his great post.

PS: If anybody has got a passion for something, then minimalism doens't applies there, if someone does, they're just wasting their life.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
The real question is that do you require an enfield?

Require? No.

Passion? Yes.

Till now, I skip on taking a transport i can avoid it. But the Enfield is a childhood dream. I'm the same as [MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION]. i never ever put any kind of monetary burden on my father. heck, before college, i was prepared to drop a year in order to ensure getting to a govt engg college. fortunately, i made it in the first attempt.

i already mentioned, since i started earning, i have been a bit more liberal with my money. i have allowed myself some relaxations from time to time. Pizza with friends, movies, a small trip, couple of PS3 games, a gaming mouse, shirts and jeans for my dad, a necklace and bracelets from mom, a polarised glass for me (with a little help from mom), and regular pocket money for my mom, each month. these are what i have permitted myself to do.

you might say, these expenses could be sidestepped. you;d be correct. but time to time, one needs to see at the larger picture. i strongly believe in giving something back to my parents, for all that they have done for me. and also allowing myself to let my hair down a little. for maintaining a strict discipline all these years.

but more than this, i avoid.

and passions must be fulfilled. a man's passion defines him, imo. within a limit. :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Passion demands investing.

Ultimate aim in life is to be happy. So do things that make you happy but don't be an aerosol to anyone..

I have weird parents. I went to buy a Micromax funbook, Mom bought me an iPad instead. :/ Asked for a beginner keyboard, got a Yamaha mox6. :/

but, yeah, I prefer minimalist.
One chokri at a time. :)

j/k

D

Deleted member 345628

It was nice post of yours @Vyom . I really liked having read it . Im currently following ERR site , r/frugal , r/anticonsumption and couple of other subs . Any recommendations you've got to follow minimalism ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It was nice post of yours @Vyom . I really liked having read it . Im currently following ERR site , r/frugal , r/anticonsumption and couple of other subs . Any recommendations you've got to follow minimalism ?
Well minimalism is a lifestyle. It doesn't actually mean frugality. Point is to be mindful of what you eat, where you spend and who you choose to hangout with.
Another point is to understand the world of consumerism, and how advertisement work to manipulate our minds, specially younger minds.

Minimalism is to identify what is the core thing which makes you "happy", and spending mindfully on things which would "support" you doing that.
Eg, If I like movies, there's no harm in spending for a streaming site subscription. But I wouldn't go on a shopping spree to collect Marvel's toys and collectibles. Cause I have drawn my line and identify them as consumerism trying to lower my bank balance. :p
For you it might not be the case, and you would enjoy buying them.

I hope I am able to explain it properly.

Also I have started to follow this YTer who is a big time believer of minimalism and make great content around it.

D

Deleted member 345628

there is nothing related to minimalism in the mag right?

Top Bottom