Welcome to Digit’s “e” DVD. Instead of limiting ourselves to physical media, we’re attempting to curate the best content from the WWW for you, and give it to you in monthly instalments. By the 15th of every month there will be a new e-DVD made available to buyers / subscribers of the Digit Magazine, so watch our homepage for updates.
While most of the following is content for your PCs, if you’re reading this from a mobile, scroll to the Mobile section to get some interesting downloads, apps and games, all recommended by Team Digit.
As always, remember to send us feedback about this exercise, and suggestions on how we can improve.
- KaOS: KaOS is a desktop Linux distribution that features the latest version of the KDE desktop environment, the Calligra office suite, and other popular software applications that use the Qt toolkit.
- ArcoLinux: ArcoLinux is a full-featured distribution that ships with the Xfce desktop and is a minimal distribution that includes scipts that power users can utilise.
- FreeBSD: FreeBSD is used by companies, Internet Service Providers, researchers, computer professionals, students and home users all over the world in their work, education and recreation.
- Kodachi: Kodachi is a Debian-based distribution which can be run from a DVD or USB thumb drive and it filters all network traffic through a VPN and the Tor network, obscuring the user’s network location.
- Voyager Live: Voyager Live is an Xubuntu-based distribution and live DVD showcasing the Xfce desktop environment.
- 7Zip: Do not want to pay for Winrar? Use 7-Zip. 7-Zip is free archiving software with open source. Most of the code is under the GNU LGPL license. Some parts of the code are under the BSD 3-clause License. Also there is unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: To open all those PDF files. Well-rounded PDF reader that provides cloud sharing, carefully selected text reading options and a couple of handy editing features.
- Avidemux: This is an easy to use tool that you can use to quickly cut and edit videos, without any fancy interface or extras. Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
- Calibre: Calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. It’ll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It’s also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
- Chrome: Google Chrome is a cross-platform web browser developed by Google.
- CPU-Z: View detailed information on your PC’s CPU, memory, mainboard, caches, graphics, and more, with the help of an app that also works as a benchmark tool.
- Deluge: Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- Discord: All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
- EasyBCD: A powerful bootloader/modification tool that enables you to run multiple operating systems on the same computer, as well as reset the BCD configuration or recreate and repair boot files.
- FFmpeg: A complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- File Splitter and Joiner: A simple yet efficient software solution that helps you split and join files, calculate the MD5 signature and encrypt data if necessary.
- Firefox: Mozilla Firefox is a free Web browser. Firefox is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control online.
- Foxit Reader: View, edit or create PDF files with this rich-featured application, which also offers support for drawing tools, signatures, full screen mode and more.
- Free Download Manager: It is a powerful modern download accelerator and organizer.
- Free OCR: Scan images or PDF files and extract the text the contain, exporting it to editable form, so you can work with it immediately after.
- Handbrake: HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- HDD Low Level Format Tool: Utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting, with support for SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disks, as well as removable drives of any size.
- IrfanView: IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter program for Microsoft Windows.
- K-Lite Codec Pack: Already contains everything you need to play all common audio and video file formats, along with ACM and VFW codecs for transcoding and editing. Bundled with Windows Media Player Classic.
- LibreOffice: Complex productivity suite which enables you to create text document, spreadsheets and presentations, manage databases and draw, and offers compatibility with other major office suites.
- Mouse Recorder Premium: Record the execution of repetitive tasks and automate them, to spare yourself the effort on a regular basis, by using a user-friendly and efficient application.
- Notepad++: A source code and text editor for all programmers that comes with support for various languages, providing a wide range of productivity tools to ease their work.
- Opera: Try the Opera browser with a free VPN, fast ad blocker, Web 3 support and get more control of your browsing experience.
- PeaZip: PeaZip is free file archiver utility, based on Open Source technologies of 7-Zip, p7zip, FreeArc, PAQ, and PEA projects.
- Power Defragmenter: Take advantage of the power packed in this lightweight utility that is able to flawlessly perform a defragmentation process on your files and disk drives.
- Q-Dir: Choosing to manually clean your computer or sort out files of various types can be a pain and a time-consuming process. However, it all becomes a lot easier with the help of specialized applications such as Q-Dir. It gives you the possibility to manage files and folders from a single window, for a more practical approach on file management.
- qBittorrent: The qBittorrent project aims to provide an open-source software alternative to µTorrent.
- Skype: Skype is one of the best voice over IP services and instant messaging clients that comes bundled with a powerful set of calling, video, messaging and sharing capabilities.
- SpeedFan: View and tweak settings for your computer’s fan speed, voltage and chip temperature using this lightweight utility with support for log files.
- SpeedRunner: A powerful, yet highly intuitive multi-thread file manager that helps users get a clear overview of the files types they have in each folder.
- TeamViewer: The new standard for remote control and remote support.
- Universal Media Server: A highly configurable media server that supports devices which have received the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certification.
- VirtualBox: VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
- Vivaldi: We live in our browsers. Choose one that has the features you need, a style that fits and values you can stand by.
- VLC: VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Winamp: After a leaked version of Winamp 5.8 appeared on the Internet, the team decided to make a version available for everyone. This is not an ongoing project, but there is news expected from Winamp in the future.
- SlunkCrypt: Protect your files from unwanted access, with this encryptor-decryptor tool that offers simple and efficient handling for both processes
- CryptBox 2022: Create secure vaults to store your most important files and folders and prevent access to data, as well as safely delete data by shredding it
- Cryptomator: Keep your cloud-stored files as safe as possible with the help of this platform-independent and user-friendly encryption application
- WinLicense: Keep your newly created applications secured with the possibility to customize trial periods using this intuitive and powerful application
- Code Virtualizer: Protect shareware applications using several obfuscation tools that keep you source code safe from reverse engineering tasks, as well as compress code data
- gpg4win: Protect the content of your emails by generating encryption keys and certificates with this advanced application that packs numerous features
- Kryptor: Encrypt and decrypt files or entire folders with the help of this modern, user-friendly application that offers an alternative to other popular apps such as AxCrypt and Cryptomator
- Passliss: Use this application to create secure password combinations for use with any of your accounts, applications, or security systems, quick and easy
- Encrypt Care: Encrypt and decrypt texts and files, as well as generate and compare checksums using this straightforward and intuitive application
- Fast File Encryptor: Allows you to easily decrypt and encrypt files, either a single file or an entire folder of files at once, the application also includes a file shredder.
- TrayDir: A windows application that gives the user the ability to access files and folders from the system tray.
- Volumey: Volume mixer that allows you to set up global hotkeys to control the volume of any application and current output device
- dual-key-remap: Remap any key to any other two keys on Windows 🔥. Remap CapsLock to both Ctrl and Escape! (It’s like xcape for windows!)
- Classic windows tools: Classic apps for Windows 10, such as classic Calculator, Sticky Notes, and more.
- Edge Deflector: A tiny helper application to force Windows 10 to use your preferred web browser instead of ignoring the setting to promote Microsoft Edge. Only runs for a microsecond when needed.
- Winslap: Swiftly configure a fresh Windows 10 installation with useful tweaks and antispy settings.
- Stepwise: Stepwise is a user-friendly automation tool for Windows.
- TaskCreate : A small, simple automation tool
- Sys-minion: This program is a bunch of more or less hidden and complex system commands with a brief description.
- How will the Universe end?: From the big crunch or big rip to vacuum decay, Katie Mack explains the different ways in which physicists believe our universe might end.
- Matrix to metaverse: Can we live a meaningful life in virtual reality?: David J Chalmers explores how technophilosophy can help us understand virtual worlds and and whether we can live a meaningful life in virtual reality.
- Proteins in 3D: In this lecture, Dr Scheres will explain how recent developments in cryo-EM have led to an explosion of new protein structures, where we can now see details down to individual atoms.
- Can we bring animals back from extinction?: Join Professor Beth Shapiro, Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz; Professor George Church, Professor of Genetics and Health Sciences, Harvard University and Professor Mike Benton OBE, FRS, FRSE, Professor of Vertebrate Paleontology, University of Bristol as they discuss whether the advancements in science allow of animals to be brought back from the dead.
- A future worth getting excited about: In conversation with head of TED Chris Anderson, Musk details how the radical new innovations he’s working on — Tesla’s intelligent humanoid robot Optimus, SpaceX’s otherworldly Starship and Neuralink’s brain-machine interfaces, among others — could help maximize the lifespan of humanity and create a world where goods and services are abundant and accessible for all.
- The breakthrough science of mRNA medicine: RNA researcher Melissa J. Moore — Moderna’s chief scientific officer and one of the many people responsible for the rapid creation and deployment of their COVID-19 vaccine — takes us down to the molecular level, unraveling how mRNA helps our bodies’ proteins maintain health, prevent disease and correct errors in our genetic code.
- Assorted Tracks: By Leif Druedahl
- Assorted Tracks: By Daniel McNeil
- Barrie H. Thorpe Batavia Illinois Public Library Collection: By Barrie H. Thorpe
- Assorted Tracks: By Saul Nowitz
- KUSF Collection: From University of San Francisco
Books on War
- Sun Tzŭ on The Art of War: One of the oldest and well-known works on war and its motivations
- Wings Over England: A fictional account of an English farm family near London during the Blitz of 1940.
- Dave Dawson at Dunkirk by Robert Sidney Bowen: This is the holy grail for fans of classic wartime action-adventure.
- The Diary of a U-boat Commander: Diary of a U-boat Commander, by Sir Stephen King-Hall, reads like non-fiction, but it is in fact the fictional love story about the commander’s infatuation with a very mysterious and beautiful lady, with the escalating World War I in the background.
- Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse, was one of the first novels about World War I to be published.
Sci-Fi Movies and Series
- Captain Z-ro: Captain Z-ro (starring and created by Roy Steffens) was a children’s television space opera featuring the eponimous time traveller and his companion, Jet (Bruce Haynes), visiting many key figures from the past.
- PHANTOM FROM SPACE: A micro-budget science fiction romp with an unusual plot and a solid cast of competent B-feature actors.
- Battle Beyond The Sun: The space race is on between two countries. Who’s going to land on mars first? Look for the scene with two goofy looking monsters battling on an asteroid.
- The John Glenn Story: A look at the early life and professional career of American astronaut John Glenn before his days in politics.
- They Came From Beyond Space: Follow the adventures of a scientist who tries to stop space aliens who are made of pure energy from enslaving humans in order to rebuild their spaceship so that they can return to their home planet.
- Charlie Chaplin’s “The Good For Nothing”: The Tramp a.k.a. Charlie Chaplin is hired by a man to wheel his invalid uncle around a seaside park for a while.
- The Three Stooges – Disorder in the Court: The Stooges are key witnesses at a murder trial.
- My Man Godfrey: During the Great Depression, Godfrey “Smith” Parke is unemployed, living with other homeless men down on their luck at a New York City dump until a spoiled socialite turns things around for him.
- The Three Stooges – Malice in the Palace: The Stooges are running the Cafe Casbah Bah (a Middle Eastern restaurant) and attempting to prepare a meal for customers.
- The Goat: Buster joins a queue for free bread but does not note that he is standing behind two unmoving mannequins.