Welcome to Digit’s “e” DVD. Instead of limiting ourselves to physical media, we’re attempting to curate the best content from the WWW for you, and give it to you in monthly instalments. By the 15th of every month there will be a new e-DVD made available to buyers / subscribers of the Digit Magazine, so watch our homepage for updates.
While most of the following is content for your PCs, if you’re reading this from a mobile, scroll to the Mobile section to get some interesting downloads, apps and games, all recommended by Team Digit.
As always, remember to send us feedback about this exercise, and suggestions on how we can improve.
- Chrome OS: Easy-to-use, affordable computing without Windows headaches
- Zorin OS: The distro pitches itself to first-time Linux users that are used to the ways of popular proprietary operating systems, namely Windows and macOS.
- Arch Linux: For those who don’t mind a user interface that puts results over friendliness, Arch Linux is a well-regarded distro.
- NuTyX: NuTyX is a Linux From Scratch documentation LFS and Behind Linux From Scratch documentation BLFS-inspired distro built for intermediate and advanced Linux users, and those interested in committing themselves to improve their Linux system skills.
- Archman: Archman Linux is a powerful, lightweight, fast, visual and stable Linux distribution based on Archlinux.
- 7Zip: Do not want to pay for Winrar? Use 7-Zip. 7-Zip is free archiving software with open source. Most of the code is under the GNU LGPL license. Some parts of the code are under the BSD 3-clause License. Also there is unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: To open all those PDF files. Well-rounded PDF reader that provides cloud sharing, carefully selected text reading options and a couple of handy editing features.
- Avidemux: This is an easy to use tool that you can use to quickly cut and edit videos, without any fancy interface or extras. Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
- Calibre: Calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. It’ll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It’s also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
- Chrome: Google Chrome is a cross-platform web browser developed by Google.
- CPU-Z: View detailed information on your PC’s CPU, memory, mainboard, caches, graphics, and more, with the help of an app that also works as a benchmark tool.
- Deluge: Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- Discord: All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
- EasyBCD: A powerful bootloader/modification tool that enables you to run multiple operating systems on the same computer, as well as reset the BCD configuration or recreate and repair boot files.
- FFmpeg: A complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- File Splitter and Joiner: A simple yet efficient software solution that helps you split and join files, calculate the MD5 signature and encrypt data if necessary.
- Firefox: Mozilla Firefox is a free Web browser. Firefox is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control online.
- Foxit Reader: View, edit or create PDF files with this rich-featured application, which also offers support for drawing tools, signatures, full screen mode and more.
- Free Download Manager: It is a powerful modern download accelerator and organizer.
- Free OCR: Scan images or PDF files and extract the text the contain, exporting it to editable form, so you can work with it immediately after.
- Handbrake: HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- HDD Low Level Format Tool: Utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting, with support for SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disks, as well as removable drives of any size.
- IrfanView: IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter program for Microsoft Windows.
- K-Lite Codec Pack: Already contains everything you need to play all common audio and video file formats, along with ACM and VFW codecs for transcoding and editing. Bundled with Windows Media Player Classic.
- LibreOffice: Complex productivity suite which enables you to create text document, spreadsheets and presentations, manage databases and draw, and offers compatibility with other major office suites.
- Mouse Recorder Premium: Record the execution of repetitive tasks and automate them, to spare yourself the effort on a regular basis, by using a user-friendly and efficient application.
- Notepad++: A source code and text editor for all programmers that comes with support for various languages, providing a wide range of productivity tools to ease their work.
- Opera: Try the Opera browser with a free VPN, fast ad blocker, Web 3 support and get more control of your browsing experience.
- PeaZip: PeaZip is free file archiver utility, based on Open Source technologies of 7-Zip, p7zip, FreeArc, PAQ, and PEA projects.
- Power Defragmenter: Take advantage of the power packed in this lightweight utility that is able to flawlessly perform a defragmentation process on your files and disk drives.
- Q-Dir: Choosing to manually clean your computer or sort out files of various types can be a pain and a time-consuming process. However, it all becomes a lot easier with the help of specialized applications such as Q-Dir. It gives you the possibility to manage files and folders from a single window, for a more practical approach on file management.
- qBittorrent: The qBittorrent project aims to provide an open-source software alternative to µTorrent.
- Skype: Skype is one of the best voice over IP services and instant messaging clients that comes bundled with a powerful set of calling, video, messaging and sharing capabilities.
- SpeedFan: View and tweak settings for your computer’s fan speed, voltage and chip temperature using this lightweight utility with support for log files.
- SpeedRunner: A powerful, yet highly intuitive multi-thread file manager that helps users get a clear overview of the files types they have in each folder.
- TeamViewer: The new standard for remote control and remote support.
- Universal Media Server: A highly configurable media server that supports devices which have received the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certification.
- VirtualBox: VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
- Vivaldi: We live in our browsers. Choose one that has the features you need, a style that fits and values you can stand by.
- VLC: VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Winamp: After a leaked version of Winamp 5.8 appeared on the Internet, the team decided to make a version available for everyone. This is not an ongoing project, but there is news expected from Winamp in the future.
- Markets Mojo: This website and app helps you manage your stock portfolio and can even merge different accounts to give you an an overview of your entire stock portfolio across multiple accounts
- ClearTax: ClearTax provides ClearTax GST filing software for accurate GST filing, reconciliation and claiming ITC.
- Mint: A one stop solution for all you budgeting needs. This app will help you budget your expenses and is very versatile when it comes to increasing savings
- Money Control: One of the most popular finance managing website and app for Indian finance. This one not only helps you manage your stock portfolio, but also gives you finance news and information regarding financial trends which help with making better investment decisions
- Splitwise: That app comes in handy when group payments are made by one person on a regular basis. It tracks who owes how much and to whom.
- How Batteries Power the Modern World: From the battery to the electric motor (which celebrates its 200 year anniversary in 2021), breakthroughs made in previous centuries continue to inform our technology today.
- Are Optical Computers the Future of Computing?: Since their invention, computers have become faster and faster, as a result of our ability to increase the number of transistors on a processor chip. However, we are now approaching the limits of this electronic technology.
- Building the impossible: Golden Gate Bridge: Stretching 227 meters tall, two towers were assembled to support California’s Golden Gate Bridge. They were just one of the challenges facing engineers Charles Ellis and Joseph Strauss. Even before construction began, many thought the project impossible: the strait was home to powerful winds, constant fog, and earthquakes. So how was this iconic bridge created?
- Can seaweed heal wounds without scarring?: Join Dr Nowsheen Goonoo to discover how seaweed can be turned into affordable dressings for fast and scarless wound healing, especially for diabetic foot ulcers.
- Probability theory and AI: Join Professor Zoubin Ghahramani to explore the foundations of probabilistic AI and how it relates to deep learning.
- World record breakthrough in fusion energy!: A record-breaking amount of nuclear fusion energy has been generated by JET, the largest and most powerful tokamak machine in the world. A pulse if plasma was maintained for 5 seconds, producing 59 megajoules of energy.
- blinch – Aquadrata [OST]: OST from Aquadrata 2016
- MANNEQUIN – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now By Starship | 20th Century Fox: Composed By Diane Warren & Albert Hammond
- THE CUPHEAD SHOW – Welcome to The Cuphead Show! By Ego Plum | Netflix: Composed By Ego Plum
- FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY’S SECURITY BREACH RAP by JT Music – “The Party Isn’t Over”: by JT Music
- The Lord of The Rings -The Rings of Power Trailer Theme 2: Provided to YouTube by Symphonic Distribution
- Ultra Instinct OST – EPIC VERSION [身勝手の極意]: Feat. Aviand & Unkos Channe
- My Hero Academia – Main Theme | Epic Rock Cover: Credits: Cover by: Friedrich Habetler Original by: Yuki Hayashi Image by: Jerry Fletcher (Modulius) Anime: My Hero Academia
Books on War
- Sun Tzŭ on The Art of War: One of the oldest and well-known works on war and its motivations
- Wings Over England: A fictional account of an English farm family near London during the Blitz of 1940.
- Dave Dawson at Dunkirk by Robert Sidney Bowen: This is the holy grail for fans of classic wartime action-adventure.
- The Diary of a U-boat Commander: Diary of a U-boat Commander, by Sir Stephen King-Hall, reads like non-fiction, but it is in fact the fictional love story about the commander’s infatuation with a very mysterious and beautiful lady, with the escalating World War I in the background.
- Under Fire: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse: The Story of a Squad by Henri Barbusse, was one of the first novels about World War I to be published.
- Science Fiction Radio; Atom Age Adventures: This is the BEST Quality set of Science Fiction Radio shows currently available
- Richard Diamond, Private Detective – Single Episodes: Diamond was a slick, sophisticated detective, with a sharp tongue for folks who needed it. Diamond enjoyed the detective life, but not as much as entertaining his girl, Helen Asher.
- The Lord Of The Rings: The Complete Trilogy (BBC Radio Dramatization): Widely regarded as a broadcasting landmark, this thrilling dramatization by Brian Sibley and Michael Bakewell boasts a truly outstanding cast, including Ian Holm, Michael Hordern, Robert Stephens, and John Le Mesurier.
- The Unbelievable Truth (Series 1 – 5): This Panel show, hosted by David Mitchell, sees four players each giving a lecture on a subject – with the majority of their speeches consisting of fabricated lies.
- Stories Of Sherlock Holmes: Stories of Sherlock Holmes ran on South African ‘Springbok Radio’ in the early 1980’s. It starred Graham Armitage as Sherlock and Kerry Jordan as Watson.
- First Spaceship on Venus: A spaceship on a mission to Venus uncovers an increasingly sinister secret.
- Zontar the Thing from Venus (Restored): A misguided scientist enables an alien from Venus named Zontar to come to Earth in order to help solve man’s problems. However, Zontar has other ideas, like disabling the power supply of the entire world and taking possession of important officials with mind control devices.
- Battle Beyond The Sun: Two countries race to have the first successful landing on Mars.
- The Ghost Train: High jinks and chills ensue when a group of people become stranded at an isolated station and a legendary phantom train approaches.
- Indestructible Man: Charles “The Butcher” Benton, a brutal death row inmate gets double-crossed by his crooked lawyer.