Welcome to Digit’s “e” DVD. Instead of limiting ourselves to physical media, we’re attempting to curate the best content from the WWW for you, and give it to you in monthly instalments. By the 15th of every month there will be a new e-DVD made available to buyers / subscribers of the Digit Magazine, so watch our homepage for updates.
While most of the following is content for your PCs, if you’re reading this from a mobile, scroll to the Mobile section to get some interesting downloads, apps and games, all recommended by Team Digit.
As always, remember to send us feedback about this exercise, and suggestions on how we can improve.
- EasyOS: EasyOS was created in 2017, derived from Quirky Linux, which in turn was derived from Puppy Linux in 2013. Easy is built in woofQ, which takes as input binary packages from any distribution, and uses them on top of the unique EasyOS infrastructure.
- MXLinux: MX Linux is a cooperative venture between the antiX and MX Linux communities. It is a family of operating systems that are designed to combine elegant and efficient desktops with high stability and solid performance. MX’s graphical tools provide an easy way to do a wide variety of tasks, while the Live USB and snapshot tools inherited from antiX add impressive portability and remastering capabilities. Extensive support is available through videos, documentation and a very friendly Forum.
- Proteus Kiosk: Porteus Kiosk makes securing your public access computer easier than you think. You no longer have to be a technical guru to customize, lock down and install your own kiosk. No need to worry about viruses, malware or users installing unwanted software.
- Kubuntu: Kubuntu unites Ubuntu with KDE and the fabulous Plasma desktop, bringing you a full set of applications. The installation includes productivity, office, email, graphics, photography, and music applications ready to use at startup.
- Xubuntu: Xubuntu is an elegant and easy to use operating system. Xubuntu comes with Xfce, which is a stable, light and configurable desktop environment
- Lubuntu: Lubuntu is a complete Operating System that ships the essential apps and services for daily use: office applications, PDF reader, image editor, music and video players, etc.
- Ubuntu Budgie: Ubuntu Budgie is a community developed distribution, integrating the Budgie Desktop Environment with Ubuntu at its core. Whether you are using it on an old computer, or a powerful workstation, Ubuntu Budgie is adaptable to any device, keeping them fast and usable.
- Ubuntu Studio: Ubuntu Studio is a recognized flavor of the Ubuntu Linux distribution, which is geared to general multimedia production.
- Linux Mint: Linux Mint is straight up the most recommended and easy to use distros around at the moment. It is based on Ubuntu but ships with a bunch of extras including codecs and drivers, which makes it quicker to start using the distro.
- Gentoo: Gentoo is used by a bunch of enthusiasts known as Gentoomen. The updates are regular, and the distro is optimised for your particular system, which is great. It is a bit of a toughie to get into though.
- Slackware: Slackware is a distro for those who want to dive into the deep end of the Linux pool, and is one of the most basic and customisable distros around. The setup is incredibly fun or painful depending on how you look at it. It is easy to mess up your system if you are using Slackware, so proceed with caution.
- Kali Linux: Kali Linux is the distro for those who want to try out hacking tools, or get into penetration testing in a more serious manner.
- Ubuntu: Ubuntu is one of the easiest to use and well known distros around. Ideal for use in offices as well.
- OpenSuse: OpenSuse is a distro geared towards software developers and system admins. It is one of the most used distros around the world, and is continuously updated.
- Fedora: Fedora is the distro used by the creator of Linux, Linus Trovalds. This is a distro with plenty of support, and regular updates. It is associated with the RedHat distro.
- ArchLinux: The ArchLinux distro is a simple and minimalist Linux distro. The updates are frequent. The distro is for more expert users.
- Solus: Solus is a no nonsense distro designed for home computing. You can access most applications out of the box.
- SteamOS: Based on Debian, SteamOS is a distro specifically made for gaming on Linux systems. It can be used as a general purpose distro as well. Check the hardware requirements though, they are on the higher side.
- 7Zip : Do not want to pay for Winrar? Use 7-Zip. 7-Zip is free archiving software with open source. The most of the code is under the GNU LGPL license. Some parts of the code are under the BSD 3-clause License. Also there is unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader : To open all those PDF files. Well-rounded PDF reader that provides cloud sharing, carefully selected text reading options and a couple of handy editing features.
- Avidemux : This is an easy to use tool that you can use to quickly cut and edit videos, without any fancy interface or extras. Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
- Calibre : Calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. It’ll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It’s also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
- Chrome : Google Chrome is a cross-platform web browser developed by Google.
- CPU-Z : View detailed information on your PC’s CPU, memory, mainboard, caches, graphics, and more, with the help of an app that also works as a benchmark tool.
- Deluge : Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- Discord : All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
- EasyBCD : A powerful bootloader/modification tool that enables you to run multiple operating systems on the same computer, as well as reset the BCD configuration or recreate and repair boot files.
- FFmpeg : A complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- File Splitter and Joiner : A simple yet efficient software solution that helps you split and join files, calculate the MD5 signature and encrypt data if necessary.
- Firefox : Mozilla Firefox is a free Web browser. Firefox is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control online.
- Foxit Reader : View, edit or create PDF files with this rich-featured application, which also offers support for drawing tools, signatures, full screen mode and more.
- Free Download Manager : It is a powerful modern download accelerator and organizer.
- Free OCR : Scan images or PDF files and extract the text the contain, exporting it to editable form, so you can work with it immediately after.
- Handbrake : HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- HDD Low Level Format Tool : Utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting, with support for SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disks, as well as removable drives of any size.
- IrfanView : IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter program for Microsoft Windows.
- K-Lite Codec Pack : Already contains everything you need to play all common audio and video file formats, along with ACM and VFW codecs for transcoding and editing. Bundled with Windows Media Player Classic.
- LibreOffice : Complex productivity suite which enables you to create text document, spreadsheets and presentations, manage databases and draw, and offers compatibility with other major office suites.
- Mouse Recorder Premium : Record the execution of repetitive tasks and automate them, to spare yourself the effort on a regular basis, by using a user-friendly and efficient application.
- Notepad++ : A source code and text editor for all programmers that comes with support for various languages, providing a wide range of productivity tools to ease their work.
- Opera : Try the Opera browser with a free VPN, fast ad blocker, Web 3 support and get more control of your browsing experience.
- PeaZip : PeaZip is free file archiver utility, based on Open Source technologies of 7-Zip, p7zip, FreeArc, PAQ, and PEA projects.
- Power Defragmenter : Take advantage of the power packed in this lightweight utility that is able to flawlessly perform a defragmentation process on your files and disk drives.
- Q-Dir : Choosing to manually clean your computer or sort out files of various types can be a pain and a time-consuming process. However, it all becomes a lot easier with the help of specialized applications such as Q-Dir. It gives you the possibility to manage files and folders from a single window, for a more practical approach on file management.
- qBittorrent : The qBittorrent project aims to provide an open-source software alternative to µTorrent.
- Skype : Skype is one of the best voice over IP services and instant messaging clients that comes bundled with a powerful set of calling, video, messaging and sharing capabilities.
- SpeedFan : View and tweak settings for your computer’s fan speed, voltage and chip temperature using this lightweight utility with support for log files.
- SpeedRunner : A powerful, yet highly intuitive multi-thread file manager that helps users get a clear overview of the files types they have in each folder.
- TeamViewer : The new standard for remote control and remote support.
- Universal Media Server : A highly configurable media server that supports devices which have received the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certification.
- VirtualBox : VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
- Vivaldi : We live in our browsers. Choose one that has the features you need, a style that fits and values you can stand by.
- VLC : VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Winamp : After a leaked version of Winamp 5.8 appeared on the Internet, the team decided to make a version available for everyone. This is not an ongoing project, but there is news expected from Winamp in the future.
- NordVPN: NordVPN is the best VPN if you’re looking for peace of mind when on public Wi-Fi.
- Cyberghost: It’s time to give your digital life one extra layer of protection and keep all prying eyes at bay!
- Private Internet Access: Secure your digital life.
- PureVPN: PureVPN lets you break free from the geo-restrictions and censorships. So you have unrestricted access to websites, videos, live events and more.
- Surfshark: We all need privacy, especially online. Your IP address and your browsing should be hidden from unecessary surveillance. Rest assured that PIA’s virtual private network never keeps any usage logs — ever.
- expressvpn: Go further with the #1 trusted leader in VPN
- Vypr: VyprVPN was founded in response to governmental surveillance, and its strong encryption keeps your information safe from hackers, identity theft and malware.
- StrongVPN: Stay Private Online
- IPVanish: IPVanish VPN and backup tools simplify online security for the whole home with setups for desktop, mobile, consoles, and routers.
- PrivateVPN: Stay private and enjoy the entire internet at lightning speeds
- Driver Hub: Save your time and money looking for drivers and fix your PC and Laptop errors
- Glary Utillities: Restore your PC to peak performance with Glary Utilities
- Wise Care 365: Clean registry and junk files from your PCs. Protect your privacy and make your PCs more secure. Provide a better option for optimizing and accelerating your computer!
- Broot: A better way to navigate directories
- CCleaner: CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC.
- PowerToys: Windows system utilities to maximize productivity
- Volumey: Volume mixer that allows you to set up global hotkeys to control the volume of any application and current output device
- Windows Privacy Dashboard: A small but powerful portable tool that works through the Windows API. WPD is the most convenient way to configure various privacy settings in Windows.
- NotCPUCores: Work, Play, Stream – Without the Stutter. Download using Releases button below
- TrayDir: A windows application that provides the user with quick access to files, folders, and programs, from the system tray.
- Process Governer: This application allows you to put various limits on a Windows process.
- Foundations of public health: This course presents the overarching framework, principles, and core responsibilities of public health research and practice from a multidisciplinary perspective. The course also provides the necessary foundation for further studies toward advanced cross-cutting approaches essential for public health practice.
- Global Problems of Population Growth: This survey course introduces students to the important and basic material on human fertility, population growth, the demographic transition and population policy. Topics include: the human and environmental dimensions of population pressure, demographic history, economic and cultural causes of demographic change, environmental carrying capacity and sustainability. Political, religious and ethical issues surrounding fertility are also addressed. The lectures and readings attempt to balance theoretical and demographic scale analysis with studies of individual humans and communities. The perspective is global with both developed and developing countries included.
- Foundations of protein chemistry: Investigate the processes of life on the smallest scales
- The Mathematics in Toys and Games: We will explore the mathematical strategies behind popular games, toys, and puzzles. Topics covered will combine basic fundamentals of game theory, probability, group theory, and elementary programming concepts. Each week will consist of a lecture and discussion followed by game play to implement the concepts learned in class.
- IoT programming and big data: Learn how to apply software solutions for different systems and Big Data needs to your IoT designs.
- Indian agricultural development: The course describes the various phases of the Indian agriculture development starting from the pre-historic agriculture to the modern agriculture. The course identifies the traditions, belief and agricultural practices followed by Indian farmers.
- Primary Target: The Forging of Luke Stone—Book #1: In the much-anticipated debut of a new series by #1 bestseller Jack Mars, when elite Delta Force soldier Luke Stone, 29, joins a secretive government agency, he is dispatched on the mission of a lifetime: a whirlwind race across Europe and the Mid-East to save the President’s daughter before she is beheaded by terrorists.
- Story of the automobile by H. L. Barber: Its history and development from 1760 to 1917 with an analysis of the standing and prospects of the automobile industry
- Fire and Sword (Sword and Sorcery, #1): Ravaged by plague, decimated by dark magic, infiltrated by a foreign evil seeking to dominate from within, Brynth is on the eve of its dissolution. When all the good men are dead and gone, who is to answer the call and defy what is wicked for what is right?
- Fishing Hamlet to Red Planet: The story of ISRO’s incredible journey of space exploration.
- Environmental science: The textbook for sustainability.
- The Dark Side of Phobos: The Dark Side of Phobos was an OverClocked Remix site project that had the intent to mix a large portion of the soundtrack to one of the most important games of the first person shooter genre, DooM.
- Float: Ambient electronic downtempo music
- Sleepover: New album by Mildred Maude
- TikTok Blood Dance: Electronic hiphop with some live tracks
- 3022: Sountrack for the original motion picture by The Album Leaf
- The Lockdown Specials: An album full of lockdown contemplations by Elton John!
- Ambient mt. 174-963: Atmospheric drone ambient music
- Star Wars Visions: The soundtracks for each of the episodes of Star Wars Visions are out
- Star Trek: Lower Deck: Relive some of your favorite Star Trek: Lower Decks moments with the Star Trek: Lower Decks Volume 1—Original Series Soundtrack, featuring music from the first and second season of the series, from Lakeshore Records.
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Original Video Game Soundtrack
- BRIGHT: Samurai Soul: Soundtrack from the Netflix Film
- Video Game Music Remakes: Vol. 3: Remakes of soundtracks of classic retro games
- Space Quest: The Movie OST: The soundtrack album for Space Quest: The Movie, a fan-made movie edit of the first Space Quest game featuring all-new dialogue and music.
- Pixel Forklift Simulator: Forklift Simulator is a Third-Person Isometric-Camera Driving-Simulation Game. You play as a forklift driver transport the goods in different maps. Your goal is to move those goods into a specific area!
- Sandcastles: Conjure castles from the sand, watch the sea consume them.
- Hardware Tycoon: Hardware Tycoon is a free simulation management game where you run your own hardware company, influence the market and compete with other companies – either only to stay up-to-date or revolutionize the industry.
- Worlds: Worlds’ is a simulator intended to recreate human history all the way from its origins in alternate world settings.
- Cryp[ptic Clash: Cryptic Clash is an educational auto-battler where password strength is taken very literally. Ever wondered how strong a password is? Well now you can watch them battle it out!
- Planetarium: A planet generator, not a game.
- Typewriter simulator: A typewriter simulator for those who love to type.
- Rule 1A: Grow your subreddit as much as you can while fighting against those who just don’t want to stop breaking Rule 1A!
- Evolution: Use joints, bones and muscles to build creatures that are only limited by your imagination. Watch how the combination of a neural network and a genetic algorithm can enable your creatures to “learn” and improve at their given tasks all on their own.
- Long summer trip cruise: Sail the Mediterranean sea with your long and mighty cruise! Take your time to enjoy the landscape but don’t get distracted by it. You have responsabilities!
- The Final Earth 2: The Final Earth 2 is a futuristic colony management game. (Audio autoplay warning)
- Pyramid Builder: Guide workers through Farming, Unloading cargo and Pushing gigantic stones to build a mighty Pyramid, in pure ASCII delight!
- Pretty Puny Planet: Why have a pet rock when you can have a pet planet? Micromanage this cosmic massive rock from its humble beginnings and take its people to places they never thought possible! Sure, you can teach them about food and science, but what if you take some liberties with evolution?
- Office Management 101: Office Management 101 is a satirical office life simulation game set in a fictional capitalistic dystopia.
- Timeline: Timeline is a minimalistic management game simulating a network economy through space and time.
- Winter Falling: Can you defend Winterfell better than Game of Thrones screenwriters could?
- Dino Walk Simulator: Race Dinosaurs! or Race Zombie Dinosaurs!
- Warframe : Warframe is the free to play model done right, with regular updates, a monetisation model that is fair to players. This is an incredibly complex game with a lot of things to do, and is a major time sink. Essentially you play as space ninjas who are on various missions through the solar system. This is science fiction like you have never seen it before, in any medium.
- Path of Exile : This is another game that has been around for years, is free to play, and is constantly updated. The game has one of the most expansive skill trees in any game ever. You have to pick classes and clear dunjons. The hardcore mode has permadeath. This is RPG done right.
- Shotgun Fun Fun : This is a fast paced platformer where you have to navigate around a map and take down as many zombies as possible, before you inevitably meet your death. Crazy, and addivtive.
- Trackmania Nations Forever : The free version of the game has a stadium environment with thousands of user made tracks. Insane speeds, lots of room for stunts, and split second reactions are all necessary for you to win. This is one of the most popular racing games ever.
- Altitude : Altitude is an over the top multiplayer game where you have to take a bunch of planes and eliminate enemies. The rounds are frenetic and short. The best thing is the football mode.
- TeeWorlds : This is a crazy 2D multiplayer platformer. In the solo mode, you have to kill anything else that moves with an arsenal of weapons, or team up and play the deathmatch mode. Moving around requires constant use of a grappling hook, which is the entire charm of this game.
- Archie Andrews: This is the radio version of the comic book characters from the 1940s
- Dragnet: Dragnet, the brainchild of Jack Webb, may very well be the most well-remembered, and the best, radio police drama series. From September, 1949 through February 1957, Dragnet’s 30 minute shows, broadcast on NBC, brought to radio true police stories in a low-key, documentary style.
- The Whistler: Each episode of The Whistler began with the sound of footsteps and a person whistling. A character known only as the Whistler is the host and narrator of the tales, which focuses on crime and fate.
- Journey into Space: BBC Radio science fiction drama serial written by Charles Chilton, first broadcast in 1958 as the series Operation Luna, followed by sequels from the same author including two series of Space Force, plus a sequel by Julian Simpson.
- This is your FBI: Crime dramas told from the viewpoint of an FBI agent.
- Elephant’s Dream: Elephants Dream is the world’s first open movie, made entirely with open source graphics software such as Blender, and with all production files freely available to use however you please, under a Creative Commons license.
- Ship of Theseus: You can edit all the rushes of this experimental movie, to make your own version of the narrative!
- Station to Station: Station to Station is a journey through modern creative art with 62 one-minute films through 4000 miles from Atlantic to Pacific. Created By Artist Doug Aitken.
- Nasty Old People: A Swedish film officially distributed on Piratebay with the Creative Commons license
- Timelapse of the entire Universe: A timelapse of the universe till the present point in time.
- Cosmos Laundermat: On a desolate island, suicidal sheep Franck meets his fate in a quirky salesman, who offers him the gift of a lifetime. Little does he know that he can only handle so much lifetime.
- Zeitgeist: Moving Forward: Watch the full documentary Zeitgeist: Moving Forward, from director Peter Joseph, that focuses on the very fabric of the social order: Monetary-Market Economics.
- Opera Football : If you’re a football fan, this is a great app for you. The app can be used to see real-time results for football matches and to glance at league tables to keep up to date with the world of football. You also get breaking news, notifications, and stats ready to go.
- My Friend Pedro: Ripe for Revenge: They kidnapped his wife and kids and left him for dead. But it’s going to take more than that to split this banana’s family. Help your friend Pedro serve some ice cold revenge, with a sprinkle of bullets on top!
- Comix Breaker: Find endless unique combinations and expand your potential! Countless trials and challenges from comic books await
- Rollflow: Your goal is to control a rolling ball. You cannot do it directly. You can only build a track for it, in real time.