October 2019 e-DVD
Welcome to Digit’s 5th “e” DVD. Instead of limiting ourselves to physical media, we’re attempting to curate the best content from the WWW for you, and give it to you in monthly installments. By the 15th of every month there will be a new e-DVD made available to buyers / subscribers of the Digit Magazine, so watch our homepage for updates.
While most of the following is content for your PCs, if you’re reading this from a mobile, scroll to the Mobile section to get some interesting downloads, apps and games, all recommended by Team Digit.
As always, remember to send us feedback about this exercise, and suggestions on how we can improve.
- Manjaro : Manjaro is a professionally made Linux based operating system that is a suitable replacement for Windows or MacOS. Multiple Desktop Environments are available through our Official and Community editions. We also work with manufacturers to design dedicated hardware. Visit the shop for more information.
- Debian 10 Buster : After 25 months of development the Debian project is proud to present its new stable version 10 (code name buster), which will be supported for the next 5 years thanks to the combined work of the Debian Security team and of the Debian Long Term Support team.
- Slackel 7.2 : Slackel 7.2 Openbox has been released. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix.
- Deepin : deepin is a Linux distribution devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users.
- Oracle Linux 8 : With Oracle Linux 8, the core operating environment and associated packages for a typical Oracle Linux 8 server are distributed through a combination of BaseOS and Applications Streams. BaseOS gives you a running user space for the operating environment. Application Streams provides a range of applications that were previously distributed in Software Collections, as well as other products and programs, that can run within the user space.
- FreeBSD : FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE is now available for the amd64, i386, powerpc, powerpc64, sparc64, armv6, and aarch64 architectures.
- Linux Mint : The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.
- Fritzing : Fritzing is an open-source hardware initiative that makes electronics accessible as a creative material for anyone.
- RFSim99 : RFSim99 is a freeware software that can help you in RF simulation, in your projects, especially if you are trying to design radio filters.
- SVCfilter : SVCfilter is a program designed to expedite the design and analysis of lowpass (and highpass) filters with nearest 5% Standard-Value Components.
- SIMPLIS Elements : The SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS product families provide professional circuit design and simulation tools for analog and power electronics engineers. SIMetrix and SIMPLIS are separate simulators working within the SIMetrix development envionment that provides schematic entry, waveform capture and built-in scripting.
- Yenka : Design and test analogue and digital electronic circuits, convert them to PCB layouts, and program PIC or PICAXE microcontrollers.
- LTspice : LTspice is a high performance SPICE simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for easing the simulation of analog circuits. Included in the download of LTspice are macromodels for a majority of Analog Devices switching regulators, amplifiers, as well as a library of devices for general circuit simulation.
- Saturn PCB Design Toolkit : The Saturn PCB Toolkit is the best freeware resource for PCB related calculations you can find. It incorporates many features that PCB designers and engineers are in regular need of like current capacity of a PCB trace, via current, differential pairs and much more. Please download our PCB Toolkit today for free and enjoy!
- SimulIDE : Real Time Electronic Circuit Simulator.
- QUCS : Quite universal circuit creator is a circuit simulator with a graphical user interface
- Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 : Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 is a freely available .NET-based programming environment for building robotics applications. It can be used by both professional and non-professional developers as well as hobbyists.
- LogView Studio : Software designed for computer monitoring of dataloggers and chargers from various manufacturers.
- chipKit core : The chipKIT core is a plugin for Arduino-style development environments. It contains all the files you need to start programming a chipKIT board with the well-known Arduino API. Included in the package are the API source code, the compiler, board definitions for all the common chipKIT boards, and the programming tools needed to upload your sketch to your desired board.
- QSapec : QSapecNG is a Qt-based program for symbolic analysis of linear analog circuits.
- BSch3V : BSch3V is a schematic capture program.
- KiCAD EDA : A Cross Platform and Open Source Electronics Design Automation Suite.
- DesignSpark PCB : DesignSpark PCB is here to help your company explore more design options – leading to increased innovation. At the core of this unique software is a powerful software engine that enables you to capture schematics and design PCB boards and layouts.
- ADS : The ADS It s a process of analysis, permits to extract or to verify the properties of a system analog or digital system.
- OpenSCE : This project aims to develop an opensource software with an attractive and efficient GUI which allows to design linear electronic circuits and to characterize existing ones.
- SmartSim : SmartSim lets you create complex circuits by allowing you to create your own custom components and including them in other circuits, as if they were any other built-in component. These larger circuits can then also be included in other designs as sub-components. SmartSim also offers the ability to print out or export your circuit designs to PDF, PNG, or SVG.
- 7Zip : Do not want to pay for Winrar? Use 7-Zip. 7-Zip is free archiving software with open source. The most of the code is under the GNU LGPL license. Some parts of the code are under the BSD 3-clause License. Also there is unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader : To open all those PDF files. Well-rounded PDF reader that provides cloud sharing, carefully selected text reading options and a couple of handy editing features.
- Avidemux : This is an easy to use tool that you can use to quickly cut and edit videos, without any fancy interface or extras. Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
- Calibre : Calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. It’ll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It’s also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
- Chrome : Google Chrome is a cross-platform web browser developed by Google.
- CPU-Z : View detailed information on your PC’s CPU, memory, mainboard, caches, graphics, and more, with the help of an app that also works as a benchmark tool.
- Deluge : Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- Discord : All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
- EasyBCD : A powerful bootloader/modification tool that enables you to run multiple operating systems on the same computer, as well as reset the BCD configuration or recreate and repair boot files.
- FFmpeg : A complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- File Splitter and Joiner : A simple yet efficient software solution that helps you split and join files, calculate the MD5 signature and encrypt data if necessary.
- Firefox : Mozilla Firefox is a free Web browser. Firefox is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control online.
- Foxit Reader : View, edit or create PDF files with this rich-featured application, which also offers support for drawing tools, signatures, full screen mode and more.
- Free Download Manager : It is a powerful modern download accelerator and organizer.
- Free OCR : Scan images or PDF files and extract the text the contain, exporting it to editable form, so you can work with it immediately after.
- Handbrake : HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- HDD Low Level Format Tool : Utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting, with support for SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disks, as well as removable drives of any size.
- IrfanView : IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter program for Microsoft Windows.
- K-Lite Codec Pack : Already contains everything you need to play all common audio and video file formats, along with ACM and VFW codecs for transcoding and editing. Bundled with Windows Media Player Classic.
- LibreOffice : Complex productivity suite which enables you to create text document, spreadsheets and presentations, manage databases and draw, and offers compatibility with other major office suites.
- Mouse Recorder Premium : Record the execution of repetitive tasks and automate them, to spare yourself the effort on a regular basis, by using a user-friendly and efficient application.
- Notepad++ : A source code and text editor for all programmers that comes with support for various languages, providing a wide range of productivity tools to ease their work.
- Opera : Try the Opera browser with a free VPN, fast ad blocker, Web 3 support and get more control of your browsing experience.
- PeaZip : PeaZip is free file archiver utility, based on Open Source technologies of 7-Zip, p7zip, FreeArc, PAQ, and PEA projects.
- Power Defragmenter : Take advantage of the power packed in this lightweight utility that is able to flawlessly perform a defragmentation process on your files and disk drives.
- Q-Dir : Choosing to manually clean your computer or sort out files of various types can be a pain and a time-consuming process. However, it all becomes a lot easier with the help of specialized applications such as Q-Dir. It gives you the possibility to manage files and folders from a single window, for a more practical approach on file management.
- qBittorrent : The qBittorrent project aims to provide an open-source software alternative to µTorrent.
- Skype : Skype is one of the best voice over IP services and instant messaging clients that comes bundled with a powerful set of calling, video, messaging and sharing capabilities.
- SpeedFan : View and tweak settings for your computer’s fan speed, voltage and chip temperature using this lightweight utility with support for log files.
- SpeedRunner : A powerful, yet highly intuitive multi-thread file manager that helps users get a clear overview of the files types they have in each folder.
- TeamViewer : The new standard for remote control and remote support.
- Universal Media Server : A highly configurable media server that supports devices which have received the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certification.
- VirtualBox : VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2.
- Vivaldi : We live in our browsers. Choose one that has the features you need, a style that fits and values you can stand by.
- VLC : VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Winamp : After a leaked version of Winamp 5.8 appeared on the Internet, the team decided to make a version available for everyone. This is not an ongoing project, but there is news expected from Winamp in the future.
- Do Black Holes Spin? : In this second of three update lectures, Prof. Bailyn discusses new information pertaining to the second part of the course, on black holes. In this lecture Prof. Bailyn describes recent work by he and his colleagues on determining the spin of black holes, which is the only parameter of consequence other than the mass. The results of these investigations are currently ambiguous and controversial.
- Hubble’s Law and the Big Bang : The third and final part of the course begins, consisting of a series of lectures on cosmology. A brief history of how cosmology developed into a scientific subject is offered. The discovery of dark energy, along with dark matter, played a crucial role in the development of cosmology. The lecture then discusses the discovery of spiral nebulae in 1920, as well as the “Great Debate” over what they were. Hubble’s famous redshift diagram is presented as the basis for Hubble’s Constant and Big Bang cosmology. The difficulty of measuring distance of objects in space, and how to do it using the parallax method and the standard candle method, are discussed. Measure brightness using the magnitude scale is explained. Class ends with a review of logarithms.
- Hubble’s Law and the Big Bang (cont.) : Class begins with a review of magnitudes and the problem set involving magnitude equations. Implications of the Hubble Law and Hubble Diagram are discussed. Professor Bailyn elaborates on the Big Bang theory of cosmology and addresses controversial questions related to the age, development, and boundaries of the universe. The fate of the universe, and possibly its end (known as the Big Crunch) are addressed. Imagining an expanding three-dimensional universe is proposed. The lecture ends with a question-and-answer session during which students inquire about a variety of topics related to cosmology, such as the center of the universe, its current expansion, and hypothetical collapse.
- Hubble’s Law and the Big Bang (cont.) : Professor Bailyn returns to the subject of the expansion of the universe to offer explanations that do not require belief in the Big Bang theory. One alternative is a theory that, in the past, the entire universe was reduced to an “initial singularity,” in which everything was much closer, and therefore denser and hotter. Since the universe is in constant flux, however, it follows that in the future things will drift apart. The Steady State explanation for the expansion of the universe is then explained. Coined as a derogatory term meant to ridicule supporters of the Big Bang theory, Steady State purports that new energy and matter are constantly created as the universe expands, to fill in the void that results from the expansion. The discovery of quasars refuted the Steady State theory. The lecture ends with a discussion of how observing very distant objects allows us to look back in time, and also gives us a glimpse into the future of galaxies and the universe.
- Kassoulet – Elements : Mostly experimental tracks, produced using a Digitone and a Circuit Mono Station. Like in nature, elements are sometimes soft and gentle, sometimes hard or dangerous
- Allan Mayne – False Control : Aggresive electric guitar rock, post grunge
- Makesound – Good Morning : Good Morning. It’s time to wake up. Your heart is full of love and joy of life. You’re happy and full of strength and energy to do good deeds. This music will tune you for success. This track piece is perfect for corporate videos, business presentations, home slide show and other positive projects.
- Cosmoteer : Cosmoteer is a top-down space sim with retro graphics, in which you are free to tackle the vastness of space as you see fit. In essence, the whole thing is about building ships from scratch, upgrading them with better parts and using them to defeat enemies. The gameplay is also focused on the crew that runs your spaceships and keeps everything on track.
- Worm Wars : This is an advanced Tron/Snake-style arcade game for up to 4 simultaneous players. It’s very fun and you can play it alone or with friends!
- OpenTTD : OpenTTD is a fan-made recreation of the popular Transport Tycoon Deluxe game. It’s an open-source simulation game in which you get to own and expand your very own transport company. The revised and enhanced version features a lot more content and options over the original and makes it all that much better.
- Angband : Text-based adventure games are a thing of the past nowadays, because everyone has access to all sorts of powerful graphics engines. It doesn’t take a lot of work anymore to add some graphics to your game, so there’s not really any reason to ignore them. A few decades ago, on the other hand ASCII and text-based adventure games were insanely popular with the crowds.
- FreeOrion : FreeOrion has everything you need to know about it in the title, since it is basically an open-source remake of the classic Master of Orion. Hence, it should contain almost everything the original did, only in a much more modern package that extends the fun and makes it possible for you to run it on a modern computer, unlike the old product that no longer works with current hardware.
- Max Massacre : Max Massacre is a kinetic visual novel that presents you with the exploits of a young man by the name of Max as he tries to save everyone from certain doom. The interesting element is that the world he is part of is very unfriendly to humans, given the fact that people are actually about to go extinct if someone doesn’t do something. Naturally, this whole task rests upon your shoulders.
- Gottet : Gottet is a tetris clone that comes with great new colors and a captivating game play. Match the falling pieces and score as many points as possible.
- openBVE : openBVE is a small and fun to play train simulator. Choose from a wide range of trains and tracks and drive it from station to station the way you like.
- Logyx Pack : Logyx Pack may not be the prettiest application out there, but it certainly delivers on its promises when it comes to the number of puzzle games included in the pack. Hence, even if many of them are similar and they use the same underlying idea, they feel different and the challenge changes from one mini-game to the other.
- Arasan : Arasan is a lightweight application that makes it possible to play competitive chess against an AI opponent. It’s built to be easy to use and accessible to both beginners and those who play on a daily basis on an advanced level.
- Mushroom Heroes : Mushroom Heroes is an arcade platformer with puzzle elements, in which your main goal is to overcome obstacles by making use of their unique talents. The game takes its inspiration from old-timey games such as Lost Vikings, but it still feels pretty modern in some regards. Thus, even if the platforming is very important, more emphasis is put on the puzzles and your ability to use teamwork.
- Isaac Asimov’s I Robot : The rise of robotics in the 21st century, told through the poignant and mysterious story of enigmatic lawyer, Stevie Byerley. A radio show from BBC.
- Winterrise : A slow burning, abstract contemplation on the shapes, forms and movements of winter
- 1989 : A celebration of halftone
- Enjoy the Recycle : A glitchy meditation on the industrial society, with impressive graphics considering the category and file size
- fr-093 : The password for the exe is fr-093. Abstract kalaeidoscopic visualisations set to the beats of heady electronica.
- fr-minus : Two hemispheres, and then a jelly cube open and close around a sphere. Not sure what is happening here, but the loops drag you in.
- inner system : A mashup of fractals and ferrofluids. The reflections are something else.
- I’m so sorry 🙁 : Mudlord submitted this demo for the Flashback 2019 contest, and won first place by default.
- Spike : Spike is a conversational email app that essentially ditches threads and headers and adds read receipts, like in WhatsApp, to simplify email conversations. [Android] [iOS]
- Post-It : The Post-it app allows you to take notes, capture physical notes with your smartphone camera, and share them with your friends and co-workers. You can also draw, erase, and type onto the post-its. [Android] [iOS]
- Fluid Simulation : Fluid Simulation is a satisfying, stress-busting app that allows you to play with fluid patterns and swirl them around to create some beautiful patterns which can also be made into a live wallpaper. [Android] [iOS]
- Pokémon Masters : Pokémon Masters is a nostalgia trip for everyone who has played the OG games. The game takes place on Pasio island and your character arrives with a Pikachu to enter a Pokémon tournament. The game includes a wide array of famous trainers from past games. [Android] [iOS]
- Gravity Rider Zero : Gravity Rider Zero developed by Vivid Games S.A. is a sequel to their popular game Gravity Rider. [Android] [iOS]
- Total Party Kill : From developer Adventure Islands, veteran in the field of retro-styled pixel-art puzzle games, comes Total Party Kill, a retro-styled pixel-art puzzle game. [Android] [iOS]
- Gears POP : The combination of the gritty and gory Gears of War and the Funko Pop line of toys is a weird one, but we guess it kinda works? We’re not big fans, but the game would totally work without Funkification. But anyway, here we are, with a Gears Funko Pop game that’s very much a Clash Royale rip-off, with a few additions sprinkled in. [Android] [iOS]
- Elune : GAMEVIL is no stranger to the mobile gacha game market. Elune is their latest action RPG entrant and while it’s your standard fare collect-em-all RPG, there’s no denying that it looks amazing. [Android] [iOS]
- Mario Kart Tour : Mario Kart Tour is fairly simple to play since your cart is always accelerating and you simply have to slide left or right to control the direction. This makes it easy to play the game with just one hand which is how they went with Super Mario Run as well. The game has tours which lasts two weeks and you can earn your way towards bigger tours. [Android] [iOS]
- Walk Master : It is not everyday that you come across an entirely-new gameplay mechanic, and ten years into the existence of smartphones, Walk Master somehow manages to do it. You are a woodland or farm creature on stilts, and you have to walk your way across jungles and farms, navigating a number of obstacles on the way. This is done through a repeated series of swipes across the screen. Balance and precision is everything. [Android] [iOS]
- Knight Quest : There seems to be some kind of a trend to mashup the age old game of chess with staples of the application stores, and Knight Quest is one such effort. This game combines an endless runner with chess, a seemingly unlikely combination that works surprisingly well. [Android] [iOS]
- Causality : Causality at first appears to be a well-crafted puzzle platformer. This is not really a game that can be easily explained. Think of it as a bunch of time travelling astronauts, who have to navigate through worlds and accomplish particular tasks. [Android] [iOS]