The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
So you got the unlocked version or did you unlock it yourself? Also did you buy it here in Mumbai?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
*albumart.org/

So you got the unlocked version or did you unlock it yourself?
It was unlocked but the firmware wasn't the latest one, so I upgraded, unlocked and jailbroke it myself. It's really not as impressive as it might sound though. :p

Also did you buy it here in Mumbai?
Yes, I did. I purchased it from some vendor in the Heera Panna Market. Pretty much every shop in there sells iPhones, so it won't be very difficult to find one once you get there. :)

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
*albumart.org/
Yes, I did. I purchased it from some vendor in the Heera Panna Market. Pretty much every shop in there sells iPhones, so it won't be very difficult to find one once you get there. :)

Congratulations! **grumbles in jealousy** :p

Anyways, how much did you pay for it?

BTW... new version of the iPhone due out sooner than expected. Sorry to rain on your parade.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Foolish people wait for opportunities that might never knock their door.
A bird in hand is worth more than 2 in a bush.

Life is made on choices. Either I can wait for the iPhone or I can get to enjoy the iPhone now. And buy the new iPhone when it hits the market.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
^^
Foolish people wait for opportunities that might never knock their door.
A bird in hand is worth more than 2 in a bush.

You know it is eventually going to release in India don't you? If you buy an iPhone and it has hardware failure or something like that, I'm sure I won't be the one feeling foolish :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Congratulations! **grumbles in jealousy** :p
Thank you! :)

Anyways, how much did you pay for it?
Rs. 27,000 for the 16GB version.

BTW... new version of the iPhone due out sooner than expected. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Says who? If the answer is anybody other than Steve Jobs, it's not true. There are all kinds of rumours about Apple floating around. I just turn a deaf ear to them because I know it from experience that most of them turn out to be woefully untrue. I'd advise you to do the same.

Of course, there will soon be a new version of the iPhone in the market and it will be even more awesome. I'm aware of that and I'd even intended to wait for that. But, like I said, my patience just gave way. I had to have it. God only knows when it will come to India and at what price. I'll deal with it when it does. At least I get to enjoy it now. (Did I mention that it is just the coolest phone EVER!) :)

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
Of course, there will soon be a new version of the iPhone in the market and it will be even more awesome. I'm aware of that and I'd even intended to wait for that. But, like I said, my patience just gave way. I had to have it. God only knows when it will come to India and at what price. I'll deal with it when it does. At least I get to enjoy it now. (Did I mention that it is just the coolest phone EVER!) :)

I personally am more concerned about warranty than anything else.

27k is a great price. Any idea how much the 8 gig one was for?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, Milind bought it with me. It retails for Rs. 21,000.

As for the warranty, well, that's the only thing that was holding me back so far but when I was exposed to the thing for an extended period (what with Preshit and Milind showing it off in front of me), I just threw caution to the wind and said to myself, "Screw the warranty! I'm getting myself some of that iPhone action."

Frankly, I'm pissed off and frustrated by Apple's slow progress in bringing it to Indian shores. The country has more than a billion freaking people; just make it available here already, dammit!

kumarmohit

Technomancer
They also have current demands to fulfill! El Jobso has got no magic wand, production figures take time to go up!

Be patient it would come soon!

drgrudge

You know it is eventually going to release in India don't you? If you buy an iPhone and it has hardware failure or something like that, I'm sure I won't be the one feeling foolish :p
I'll buy an iPhone mostly in the US. So I don't care if it gets released in India or not.

And ohh yeah.. my next phone phone will be an iPhone. I won't even think abt other phones with more 'features' :) I want to buy a dSLRL camera too. But won't have money to buy both. If at all if it's going to be a dSLR or an iPhone, I'll settle for a dSLR cam.

yash

I draw every day
Says who? If the answer is anybody other than Steve Jobs, it's not true. There are all kinds of rumours about Apple floating around. I just turn a deaf ear to them because I know it from experience that most of them turn out to be woefully untrue. I'd advise you to do the same.

Yeah, just like the time you said apple releasing a product called macbook AIR was highly unlikely.

It's not available for Mac and Linux yet. Must be in private beta or something.

its avialable for the mac. and its not private beta.

Last edited:

Tanmay

Journeyman
@aryayush : Well, I too think you should've wait for some more time. In 3 months the 3G version would be available. You'd waited for so long, you could've waited for another 3 months. There might even be GPS thrown along with 3G....

But then again, after using the iPhone for 10mins its impossible to resist buying it if you have the money ready ;) Congo and Enjoy your new toy ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, just like the time you said apple releasing a product called macbook AIR was highly unlikely.
Yes, I did, because the name sounded very unappealing to me. Still does, actually.

Some rumours turn out to be true, of course. And lately, the number of those turning out to be true is on the rise. But still, for every one rumor that becomes a reality, there are seven others that give the believers false hope.

It's better to shut them out altogether and wait for Apple to announce these things themselves. That's my opinion anyway. :)

@aryayush : Well, I too think you should've wait for some more time. In 3 months the 3G version would be available. You'd waited for so long, you could've waited for another 3 months. There might even be GPS thrown along with 3G....
Like I said, I was intent on waiting for it. But you should've seen how Milind was behaving when he got his iPhone and I was staring at my Nokia 6300. There's only so much a man (read self-respecting Apple fanboy) can take. :p

But then again, after using the iPhone for 10mins its impossible to resist buying it if you have the money ready ;) Congo and Enjoy your new toy ;)
Thanks! :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I had no intention to buy the iPhone.

I came to Mumbai to attend BarCamp Mumbai 3 and just to enjoy. I also wanted to go to Goa.

drgrudge

What's the use of lyrics to iTunes? When I play the songs I'll have to query Get Info every time or does it has any other cool thing?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You can use some utility like GimmeSomeTune (or any one of the several others) that can display the lyrics of the song that is currently playing.

GimmeSomeTune even fetches the lyrics for you automatically if you have tagged the songs correctly. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox 3 vs. Safari 3

Saturday, 5 April 2008

After a few weeks in the arms of Firefox 3 betas, I’ve returned to Safari as my daily browser. Unsurprisingly, it’s the interface that drove me back.

But I’m not talking about cosmetic issues — or at least not only about cosmetic issues. The new default theme for Firefox theme looks pretty good, especially when you switch the toolbar icons to the small size. The Safari-style “GrApple” Firefox themes I linked to last month makes Firefox 3 look even better, albeit mostly by mimicking Safari.

But cosmetic appeal is just the surface. Steve Jobs, in a 2003 New York Times magazine interview, said:
“Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like. People think it’s this veneer — that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That’s not what we think design is. It’s not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
And that’s just it. Firefox 3’s shortcomings as a Mac app are behavioral, too. The main issues that drove me back to Safari:

BACKGROUND WINDOW APPEARANCE — Starting with Leopard, standard application windows follow a simple, consistent rule: the frontmost window of the current application gets a medium gray color while all other windows have a lighter, flatter look. The idea is that with several windows visible at once, giving the active one a darker look makes it easier to pick out visually. (One of the long-standing gripes regarding the late brushed metal theme — Christ, remember that ugly thing? — was that its windows barely changed appearance when switching from active to inactive.)

Firefox 3 doesn’t do this. Its windows all have the darker “active” look even when in the background. And I believe that its theming mechanism does not allow for it.

TEXT EDITING SHORTCUTS — Firefox 3 still doesn’t support certain standard Mac text editing key bindings. For example, in a one-line text field, the Up and Down Arrow keys should move the insertion point to the beginning and end of the line, respectively. Drives me nuts. Read more...

[Via Daring Fireball]

drgrudge

^^
Thanks. Will check it. Just remembered that Lyrics can be viewed in an iPod. So it's better to have Lyrics of songs you like added to iTunes.

Top Bottom