Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

tkin

Back to school!!
Ah yes, source, and TFII, which could be run on intel 4000, still doesn't explain what to do with the discreet GPU, and except a few rare games I don't see any popular games being ported to linux do you? Games like BF3, COD, Tribes Ascend, Crimecraft, Firefall does not run on linux, and these are the games I play mostly and all of them run fine on a 7670m.

And you didn't get what I was trying to say, if you have a nVidia gpu based laptop you could install the GPU driver directly from nVidia website, something AMD does not provide, for an idea read this article and the comments: AnandTech - Addendum Regarding AMD

AMD's mobile driver support is joke, period.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah yes, source, and TFII, which could be run on intel 4000, still doesn't explain what to do with the discreet GPU, and except a few rare games I don't see any popular games being ported to linux do you? Games like BF3, COD, Tribes Ascend, Crimecraft, Firefall does not run on linux, and these are the games I play mostly and all of them run fine on a 7670m.

And you didn't get what I was trying to say, if you have a nVidia gpu based laptop you could install the GPU driver directly from nVidia website, something AMD does not provide, for an idea read this article and the comments: AnandTech - Addendum Regarding AMD

AMD's mobile driver support is joke, period.
I've read that Anandtech article long ago and the bold part is not true. :)

*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526801/nvidia-drivers-will-not-install-/

The only joke here is you, AMD and nVidia. You especially.

PS: Unlike most people in this forum, I only comment after first hand experience. I've had enough trouble with Optimus as well.

As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

And just to put a nail in the coffin, I did a small Google search which everyone here is very fond of. M17x R1 Can't install new Nvidia drivers

ratul

█████████████████
well, there should'nt be a comparison b/w AMD and Nvidia here, but i have seen cases from both sides..
For some AMD works good and for some Nvidia works good..
But, if you google the problems, AMD users will be having much greater problems than nvidia one's, that's a fact, i have no problem with AMD, but some guys do have.. :wink:

tkin

Back to school!!
Well, so far I like my Dell 15R N5520, about 10 mins of AC3(normal, 720p), about 5 mins was cutscene, so expect a further 5-10c rise of the GPU during prolonged gaming, I intend to add a cooling pad soon, so that'll keep the temps in check, not that it needs much anyway:

CPU:
*i.imgur.com/JUhLCDR.jpg

GPU:
*i.imgur.com/ztMN1AC.jpg

*The GPU clock is showing zero because as soon as I stopped AC3 to take the screenshot the intel HD4000 kicked in, hence HWInfo can't see it anymore, but you can check the min/max tabs.

So what do you guys say? Temperatures in control?

PS: The UNIFL modded drivers with Catalyst 13.1 did the trick, while earlier I was getting random temporary freezes during loading, all are gone now, gameplay was smooth as butter, didn't measure FPS but since I didn't notice any stuttering its fine, I expect gameplay to become a bit jerky in huge open areas, but I tend to use this laptop to play games like CS, Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Crimecraft etc, so 7670m was a mighty fine choice.

tkin

Back to school!!
^ That guy on the fb page is you then :D
Guilty as charged :D

Now I am $hit worried about my HDD temps, hit 51c, so 55c is likely on prolonged gaming, cooling pad?

My review for the Dell 15R N5520:
*www.flipkart.com/reviews/RVDFNDUKTSLK2FNDY

If you can't check flipkart, check here:
A Worthy Warrior!!

Hi guys, I just got this laptop a few days back, now I don't like lengthy reviews, so straight to the pros and cons.

Pros:

1. i3 3110m processor, now, a lot of new laptops are coming with i3xxxxU processors which are clocked at 1.8GHz(they are called ULV or ultra low voltage processor), this laptop has the faster variant, hence faster performance.

2. AMD Radeon 7670m, which is slightly faster than nVidia GT630m while coming in a laptop at least 10k cheaper than laptops containing GT630m, perfect.

I had tried a few games like Assassin's Creed 3 which ran perfectly, you can download modified drivers from here: *bit.ly/14SRBjk (download the 13.1 whql version, its running flawlessly in my laptop and gave a massive boost in FPS in all games, also switchable graphics work better than the default drivers from dell website).

3. 15.6" WLED display for watching HD movies or playing 3D games like Assassin's Creed III

4. The 2GB RAM module runs at 1600MHz by default, now most laptops do not allow memory OC, so you can keep this stick and add another 2GB 1600MHz stick to run dual channel 1600MHz, this will boost your games and overall system performance.

5. The laptop comes with 4xUSB 3.0 ports, which is the highest among any laptop around this range.

6. The build quality and the finish of this laptop are amazing, unless you touch it the surface and palmrest looks like brushed metal which till now has always been the domain of high end XPS laptops, also the screen hinges are solidly built, the top panel is actually replaceable, you can find new panels abroad: *amzn.to/VVaFrA
How awesome is that?

7. The keyboard is chiclet type and has enough spacing to type comfortably. The palmrest is huge and doesn't get very hot during gaming, the touchpad is very responsive and works just like you expect it to, don't play games with it though.

8. And there's the rest, Bluetooth 4.0, wifi, webcam with surprisingly good clarity, LAN, standard dvd writer from samsung, sd card reader etc etc.

Cons:

1. Only 2GB RAM, well its a con only if you're on a tight budget because as stated above adding a ram is very easy and costs just 1.5k for 4GB(Gskill, look in flipkart, 1600MHz, 11-11-11-30 latency).

2. Only 500GB HDD, it's not enough, not enough for a download freak like me, but may be enough for a normal person. Also 5400RPM but one can expect only this much for a 35k laptop.

3. Its really bulky, not slim(not expecting ultrabook but still), and heavy as well. Not a con if you buy this for gaming, but if you travel a lot, like 2-3 hrs everyday with a laptop, you might want to reconsider, though I doubt any gaming laptop will ever be much lighter than this.

4. Though cooling is adequate, during extensive gaming the hard drive tends to get rather hot(~50c, whereas safety limit is 60c), adding a cooling pad is recommended, lets face it, no laptop is designed to play games for prolonged period, but even if you do it, this won't have any issues, but the cooling pad is recommended to prolong the life of the components.

5. Dell warranty extension is really costly, much costlier than competitive brands, but you can extend it during one year any time, but in the past I've had really bad experience with HP customer service so the Dell warranty extension maybe justified.

So what do I think? The perfect laptop under 38k, the i3 3110m CPU is faster than AMD A10(proof: *bit.ly/VVcmp1), the 7670m GPU is faster than GT630m, and while the 2GB Ram may appear as a con but an upgrade costs just 1.5k, amazing screen quality(I run it at lowest brightness), good connectivity, comfortable keyboard and touchpad, this baby really has everything you could wish from a multipurpose gaming oriented laptop, its "Faster Than Light" ;)

santoshk87

Broken In
Anybody has tried playing Battlefield 3 multiplayer online on this laptop ? Is the game-play smooth (assuming one has 512 kbps-4mbps) connection ??

Gtb93

In the zone
Anybody has tried playing Battlefield 3 multiplayer online on this laptop ? Is the game-play smooth (assuming one has 512 kbps-4mbps) connection ??
Go easy on the font size bro.
And yes, provided you don't set everything to ultra, it will work just fine.

ratul

█████████████████
Well, so far I like my Dell 15R N5520, about 10 mins of AC3(normal, 720p), about 5 mins was cutscene, so expect a further 5-10c rise of the GPU during prolonged gaming, I intend to add a cooling pad soon, so that'll keep the temps in check, not that it needs much anyway:

CPU:
*i.imgur.com/JUhLCDR.jpg

GPU:
*i.imgur.com/ztMN1AC.jpg

*The GPU clock is showing zero because as soon as I stopped AC3 to take the screenshot the intel HD4000 kicked in, hence HWInfo can't see it anymore, but you can check the min/max tabs.

So what do you guys say? Temperatures in control?

PS: The UNIFL modded drivers with Catalyst 13.1 did the trick, while earlier I was getting random temporary freezes during loading, all are gone now, gameplay was smooth as butter, didn't measure FPS but since I didn't notice any stuttering its fine, I expect gameplay to become a bit jerky in huge open areas, but I tend to use this laptop to play games like CS, Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Crimecraft etc, so 7670m was a mighty fine choice.

seems fine to me, these days i get max of 47-50c HDD after hrs. of gaming due to winters here, but in summers 55c is average for HDD while gaming, heck once it reached 70c on HDD when i forgot to lift it up from the bed :D and i was scared as hell when i saw those temps.. :p

graphics wise it'll be fine to run, but you'll need a stable connection (low ping timings), it will stutter if you have bad ping and even 12mbps connection..

nandu26

In the zone
Guilty as charged :D

Now I am $hit worried about my HDD temps, hit 51c, so 55c is likely on prolonged gaming, cooling pad?

My review for the Dell 15R N5520:
Flipkart.com

If you can't check flipkart, check here:

What about the display? I know it will be glossy but does it affect normal work. I mean distractions due to reflections.

ratul

█████████████████
What about the display? I know it will be glossy but does it affect normal work. I mean distractions due to reflections.

dude, it's been discussed numerous times that it all depends on the environment you work on, sure it'll be a problem in outdoor locations, but i use my laptop indoors and i do not have any problems with glossy screen...
It's upto you whether you use it outdoors, indoors or indoors with massive lightning..

tkin

Back to school!!
seems fine to me, these days i get max of 47-50c HDD after hrs. of gaming due to winters here, but in summers 55c is average for HDD while gaming, heck once it reached 70c on HDD when i forgot to lift it up from the bed :D and i was scared as hell when i saw those temps.. :p

graphics wise it'll be fine to run, but you'll need a stable connection (low ping timings), it will stutter if you have bad ping and even 12mbps connection..
I am so much relieved, instead of the cooler I'll get the 4GB RAM now :D
Cooler later, in summer.

What ratul said, also note here that glossy screens actually look more bright and colorful than matte screen, I have a matte monitor(T220) and I know this for a fact, matte screen can never match glossy screen for its color representation and brightness.

ratul

█████████████████
I am so much relieved, instead of the cooler I'll get the 4GB RAM now :D
Cooler later, in summer.

good choice bro, 8GB RAM is a bare minimum in these systems, especially when you are a gamer.. :D

tkin

Back to school!!
good choice bro, 8GB RAM is a bare minimum in these systems, especially when you are a gamer.. :D
I'll go with 6GB for now, 2GB+4GB Gskill(4GB in dual channel, 2GB in single channel, flex mode), I'll add another 4GB module a few months later for full 8GB dual.

ratul

█████████████████
I'll go with 6GB for now, 2GB+4GB Gskill(4GB in dual channel, 2GB in single channel, flex mode), I'll add another 4GB module a few months later for full 8GB dual.

6GB is a sufficient amount too, btw can you post the link of which RAM you are buying??

xeon

Broken In
Dell's pre-installed RAM is of1600MHZ why isn't cpuz showing 1600MHZ anywhere?

*i.imgur.com/h2rMPQ6.png

And if I put another 4 gb ram does it also have to be 1600MHZ ???

Would this RAM work or if you have better than this then please tell
G.Skill NT DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-1600C11S-4GNT) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com

tkin

Back to school!!
6GB is a sufficient amount too, btw can you post the link of which RAM you are buying??
Either this: G.Skill DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (F3-12800CL11S-4GBSQ) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com
Or this: G.Skill SQ DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBSQ) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com

I was thinking about this as well: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

But one thing that baffles me, is the Corsair's 1600MHz JDECor XMP? If its XMP I am locked out as the bios won't do a thing and run it at 1333MHz, unlike gskill which has JDEC 1600MHz, I am probably going to buy it locally so I can test if it works at 1600MHz, if I buy it from flipkart I am stuck.

tkin

Back to school!!
Dell's pre-installed RAM is of1600MHZ why isn't cpuz showing 1600MHZ anywhere?

*i.imgur.com/h2rMPQ6.png

And if I put another 4 gb ram does it also have to be 1600MHZ ???

Would this RAM work or if you have better than this then please tell
G.Skill NT DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-1600C11S-4GNT) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com
Its running at 1600MHz, check the memory tab, it shows half speed, i.e 800MHz means 1600Mhz actual data rate(its DDR3, i.e double data rate).

Check my link for the rams, go with the gskills.

ratul

█████████████████
Its running at 1600MHz, check the memory tab, it shows half speed, i.e 800MHz means 1600Mhz actual data rate(its DDR3, i.e double data rate).

Check my link for the rams, go with the gskills.

is Inspiron's 15R's RAM same as 15R Turbo??
if yes, then G.Skill F3-12800CL11S-4GBSQ is the best from the ones you suggested, as it has the 11-11-11 CAS latency, same as the RAM that comes preinstalled..
and the vengeance one, that looks quite big, i doubt if it would fit properly..

and what pin configuration would work with inspiron?

204Pin..

Top Bottom