Your thoughts on the following config

AryaInk

Broken In
hey there,

I am planning to buy a new PC and have comeup with a config that suits my budget more then anything and I am expecting it to be a lot faster then my current system(which is a p4 1.6 Ghz cpu :p don't pound on me for it :D)
So I was thinking is it really a good config, how it will perform for my following needs?(I though the template would be better.)

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5, AfterEffects CS5, Adobe PremierePro CS5 and other similar softwares. Movies(1080p), some games(but that is secondry) and 3D StudioMax(Not really that important)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:YES

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:Yes, budget is the main thing in my case, witout UPS,Monitor, GPU Speakers, and Keyboard/Mouse the budget should not exceed INR 15k

4. Planning to overclock?
A:Maybe, down the line, but no immediate plan.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows 7 64bit.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:500GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:1920x1080

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:3/4

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:With in a weeks time

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Yup(If possible in the given budget)

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Yup, Don't want UPS,Monitor, GPU, Speakers, and Keyboard/Mouse

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:New Delhi and New Delhi only.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:NA

ok so I have come up with a config, and want your opinion on how it will perform for the above mentioned softwares, Also I will be multitasking, browser+winamp+Photoshop/illustrator/etc

Following is the config I am talking about.

Athlon II X3 440(455 if available and I am not sure about the price of 455) | INR 3400
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H | INR 4100
Gskill Ripjaws 4GBX1 1333Mhz DDR3 | INR 2700
Seagate SATA 500GB | INR 1800
FSP SAGA II 350 | INR 1550
CM Elite 310(or a generic case for INR 900) | INR 1550
Total | INR 15100

I can save money on Case(Go with a generic 900bucks one) and on RAM(Instead of Gskill Ripjaws go for Kingston/transcend ones).

so, is this good one for 1/2 years for the above mentioned requirements? What else can be changed/added for better performance?

Thanks
Arya

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Component | Model | Price CPU |AMD AthlonII x4 640|4.5k
Motherboard |ASUS M4A78LT-M LE|2.5k
RAM |GSkill/Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.3k
HDD |Seagate 500GB|1.8k
PSU |FSP SagaII 500W|2k
Case |CM Elite 310|1.5k
Total || 14.6k

A better CPU for obvious reasons and better PSU because price difference is very less.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ op

The config suggested by ishu is fine for you. Opt for corsair 2x2gb ddr3 @ 2.3k instead of the ripjaws.

Stick with the cm elite 310 instead of a generic case. Its absolutely worth the price.

OP
A

AryaInk

Broken In
Component | Model | Price CPU |AMD AthlonII x4 640|4.5k
Motherboard |ASUS M4A78LT-M LE|2.5k
RAM |GSkill/Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.3k
HDD |Seagate 500GB|1.8k
PSU |FSP SagaII 500W|2k
Case |CM Elite 310|1.5k
Total || 14.6k

A better CPU for obvious reasons and better PSU because price difference is very less.

hey thanks,
Mobo : I think I should have mentioned that I am not going to buy a separate GPU, so on-board GPU has to be powerful enough, and in that case "ASUS M4A78LT-M LE" is out of contention, GA880GM has far better onboard graphics.Also since the system is going to be used for Graphics work, the requirement of a better Graphics(onboard) is more then a better CPU, what you say ?

PSU:FSP SagaII 500W @ 2k ? Source of info ? (With taxes ?)If it is that cheap then I will go for it.

RAM: why 2x2GB ? To save Few Hundred Bucks, or something else ?

vickybat said:
Stick with the cm elite 310 instead of a generic case. Its absolutely worth the price.
ok, I don't know much about cases, so what is the difference between a generic one and Elite 310 ? The only difference I could find was an 120mm fan which comes with it.Or do the generic cases too have one ?

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

@Ishu Gupta
What is the difference between Athlon II x3 and Athlon II x4 beside an extra core ?
Since clock speed of x3 455 is 3.3Ghz and of x4 is 3.0 Ghz so in that front for single threaded applications x3 should be better the x4 ?

How the config mentioned by you will perform for the mentioned softwares ? Do you have any experience with it using those softwares ?

masterkd

Padawan
currently for a new rig a x4 is must..moreover the softwares you mentioned will perform better with a quad core than a tri core!!

regarding cm elite 310, it has better build quality than the generic ones..so worth the money!!

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
hey thanks,
Mobo : I think I should have mentioned that I am not going to buy a separate GPU, so on-board GPU has to be powerful enough, and in that case "ASUS M4A78LT-M LE" is out of contention, GA880GM has far better onboard graphics.Also since the system is going to be used for Graphics work, the requirement of a better Graphics(onboard) is more then a better CPU, what you say ?
For you purposes, CPU >>>>> GPU.
CS5 doesn't use GPU at all.

Also the Onboard isn't much different. The onboard in 880GM(HD 4250) is just a higher clocked version of ASUS (HD 4200). So you can overclock it.

PSU:FSP SagaII 500W @ 2k ? Source of info ? (With taxes ?)If it is that cheap then I will go for it.
Its around 2k and 2.2k.

RAM: why 2x2GB ? To save Few Hundred Bucks, or something else ?
You will get Dual Channeling and you don't really need more than 4GB RAM.
Go for a 4GB stick if you want.

ok, I don't know much about cases, so what is the difference between a generic one and Elite 310 ? The only difference I could find was an 120mm fan which comes with it.Or do the generic cases too have one ?
Better airflow, better build quality, better looks, etc etc

What is the difference between Athlon II x3 and Athlon II x4 beside an extra core ?
Since clock speed of x3 455 is 3.3Ghz and of x4 is 3.0 Ghz so in that front for single threaded applications x3 should be better the x4 ?
Yes CS5 is poor in multithreading but .3 GHz doesn't matter. Overclock.

And maybe CS6 gets multithreaded.

How the config mentioned by you will perform for the mentioned softwares ? Do you have any experience with it using those softwares ?
No I haven't used either.
You can check benchmarks. I'll dig 'em up for you.

OP
A

AryaInk

Broken In
@ Ishu Gupta
For you purposes, CPU >>>>> GPU.
CS5 doesn't use GPU at all.
Opps, you got your FAQs wrong buddy.Here is a link :Link 1 and another Link 2

Also the Onboard isn't much different. The onboard in 880GM(HD 4250) is just a higher clocked version of ASUS (HD 4200). So you can overclock it.
Overclocking is not an immediate option.

You will get Dual Channeling and you don't really need more than 4GB RAM.
so is dual channel better then a single one ?

---------------------------------

@masterkd and @Ishu Gupta

the softwares you mentioned will perform better with a quad core
Yes CS5 is poor in multithreading

ok, why there is an contradiction ?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Opps, you got your FAQs wrong buddy.Here is a link :Link 1 and another Link 2
I got that from Google. :?

Overclocking is not an immediate option.
Its just a few MHz. Wouldn't matter much.

so is dual channel better then a single one ?
Yes, a little. If you ever want to add more RAM get the 4GB stick.

ok, why there is an contradiction ?
It depends on the software. Photoshop is bad, After Effects is good.

Check this out.
Adobe CS5: 64-bit, CUDA-Accelerated, And Threaded Performance : How Should You Accelerate Adobe?

Benchmarks:
Software | Task | X3 440 | x4 640 Adobe Premier Pro |Encoding a 2:12 Min Video|619 secs|465 secs
After Effects CS5 |Rendering 3 streams into 1(210 Frames)|159 Mins|123 Mins
Photoshop CS5 |Applying 6 Filters to 69MB TIF|250 Mins|189 Mins

masterkd

Padawan
Benchmark 440 vs 635

this benchmark will give you good idea..here in all real time tests x4 635 wins..so x4 640 will definitely win!!

OP
A

AryaInk

Broken In
Agree with you both.:)

So Ishu, where did you get the price for X4 640 ? it is listed at 5.2k at Hardware Spec Sheet

Is there a benchmarking system where I can compare the onboard graphic of these two mobos ?

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

@Ishu,
I missed a point in your 2nd post.

The onboard in 880GM(HD 4250) is just a higher clocked version of ASUS (HD 4200)

ASUS -> ATI Radeon 3000
880GM -> ATI Radeon HD 4250

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd actually say, get Athlon II X4 640 with Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H. :)

Top Bottom