Young warned over social websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Millions of young people could damage their future careers with the details about themselves they post on social networking websites, a watchdog warns.

The Information Commissioner's Office found more than half of those asked made most of their information public.

Some 71% of 2,000 14 to 21-year-olds said they would not want colleges or employers to do a web search on them before they had removed some material.

The commission said the young needed to be aware of their electronic footprint.

Vetting tool
The ICO also said young people could be putting themselves at risk of identity fraud because of the material they post on social networks such as Facebook and MySpace.

The data regulator's survey found that two thirds of those questioned accepted as friends on such websites people they did not even know.
Some 60% posted their date of birth, a quarter put their job title and almost one in 10 gave their home address.
ICO deputy commissioner David Smith said: "Many young people are posting content online without thinking about the electronic footprint they leave behind.

"The cost to a person's future can be very high if something undesirable is found by the increasing number of education institutions and employers using the internet as a tool to vet potential students or employees."

'Wise up'
The survey found 95% were concerned about their details being passed on to advertisers or other websites.
There were 54% who cared "a lot" about how their personal information was used.

Mr Smith said: "This shows that when young people are made aware that their details could be being passed between parties - legitimate or unscrupulous - they are worried.

"We have to help teenagers wise up to every aspect of the internet age they're living in. It may be fun but unfortunately it is not the safe space many think it is."
The ICO has launched a new website to help young people understand their information rights.

*news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7108627.stm

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Orkut is the worst site ever, ahoy the details you can find on people there, anything private is not safe online, not yet, when will people learn ^^

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^oh!thanks!if my privacy is at stake,will try!still google search is another culprit :D it shows lot of results if ur into any mailing lists,BTS etc :(

I have seen some profiles esp ladies,whose profile is cloned and edited with abusive words.sry,cant link to that!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Why delete one's profile, you can restrict who sees it and what do they see. Mine is only open to my friends, not even friends of friends

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Social websites do have their advantages,
even if their cons outweigh them.

I myself found many of my school/collge friends through orkut,

Other than that, i do agree that there is free info out there for anyone to see with just a google account which is IMO very dangerous.

Regards,
ray

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
:D I m on orkut & facebook but I face no such trouble, I don't have anything to hide actually. My friends know everything about me & I don't do anything bad. Everyone knows about the good things I do, & the bad things which I do are always hidden

Rockstar11

Technomancer
gaurav_indian said:
And few months ago a guy from mumbai lost his life becoz of this orkut.:mad:

:shock: kya baat kar rahe ho yaar??
kaise aur kyoon hua tha yeh sab ? :confused:

waise mein HI5 use karta hoon...
aur orkut pe bhi ID banaya hai.. lekin jyada use nahi karta....
yep time waste faltu sites hai :mad:

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
gx_saurav said:
:D I m on orkut & facebook but I face no such trouble, I don't have anything to hide actually. My friends know everything about me & I don't do anything bad. Everyone knows about the good things I do, & the bad things which I do are always hidden
Aere gaire logon ko koi nuksaan nahi hai wahan,only hi-fi logon ko hai.:D

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^he is saying about 16 yr old adnan patrawala son of a $$$ business man.
*www.criticblog.org/2007/08/20/orkut-gulped-adnan-patrawala-how-safe-are-social-communities/

nik_for_you

In the zone
gaurav_indian said:
Aere gaire logon ko koi nuksaan nahi hai wahan,only hi-fi logon ko hai.:D

haha ..
cool..
I am also in orkut and I am enjoying it too, but i alsways fear privacy problem in that.
yar anyone can see anyones scrap.. what the crap is this..

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
nik_for_you said:
haha ..
cool..
I am also in orkut and I am enjoying it too, but i alsways fear privacy problem in that.
yar anyone can see anyones scrap.. what the crap is this..
yo is this rap
that anyone can see anyone's scrap
oh thats so crap
yo is this rap
:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom