You might not have permission to use.....again but for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
My prevoius thread for this solution was solved by some "Virus". But now I want to connect the computers: a linux and a windows!
I want to share files between linux and windows.

I got my 2 winxp pc's connected finally: Here's the previous thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305133&highlight=#305133

This time the linux recognizes the folders on xp. But in xp I cant do the same!
I tried samba server, corrected the workgroup name..but only the computer name appeared in xp. But the error "You might not have permission to use the network resource" again appeared !
How to connect the linux and xp?
Is there a better way instead samba server??
Thanx in advance!

praka123

left this forum longback
For Samba,something like NetBIOS name etc need to be set...perhaps u should make the sharing folder 777 permission! for XP to access/make changes...
here's some troubleshooting links:
*www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba-trouble.htm

*www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
have you tried the script ?

One thing you must note

When asked for something in caps, you must enter it in caps, and when asked for the same in small enter the same again in small.

consider your domain name is mediator

if asked for DOMAIN, enter MEDIATOR

if asked for domain, enter mediator.

The same rule apply for everything.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Nah i didnt try the script bcoz when i was a newbie someone on the net had posted a script as a solution. The script asked for root.So I ran it as root and from next login The linux box didnt even start! I figured the script has messed with some system files.
So isnt there a better way with samba?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
OMG, Are you still waiting ? I thought you had solved the problem.

Please have a look at the following link.

HowTo: Setup an, FTP, MySQL, HTTP Home Server – FC4

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Yea ofcors.. What I did was I started smb server on my machine associated with "mshome" workgroup,authenticationmode "domain",Authentication server "192.168.1.2",guestaccount "mediator"!

The other computer is on 192.168.1.3 when i started the samba server the compter was detected on xp's networkneighbourhood! But when i tried to enter it said u dont have access permission !
what to do?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
You may need to configure SELinux to allow connection via samba.

Try changing settings on "Security Level Configurations"

I'm quite unsure about the smb settings, as i haven't tried this before. May be prakash can help u in this issue.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
sorry to mention that but i had already done that ...i disabled selinux for samba and tried other changes with selinux...well i dont think givin permission 777 will solve that coz i had given the shared folder read permission.
At the end of the day it still said access permissions..Hell!
Man this is a serious problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom