Yo Man! hAlf life 2 graphicaly not that great

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Hmm, I need to know this too, Prof = Me or Him, as I m better if called GX

I don't think we can argue enoon, as we both follow a lot of things common, & since we both know, atleast I do that nothing is perfect in this world, i just say that Kudos to ID for creating this much nice illusion that despite being low textured it looked so good

Untill we see Quake 4 & RTCW2, we cannot say & only predict how good the engine is, but we also cannot say it's bad, making something by a mod maker & by a pro is different

I said about Tom Clensy splinter cell not pandora tomorrow, I missed this unreal warfare engine thing & though it to be just a slight modification of Unreal engine 1.0

G

Hmm, I need to know this too, Prof = Me or Him, as I m better if called GX

I don't think we can argue enoon, as we both follow a lot of things common, & since we both know, atleast I do that nothing is perfect in this world, i just say that Kudos to ID for creating this much nice illusion that despite being low textured it looked so good

Untill we see Quake 4 & RTCW2, we cannot say & only predict how good the engine is, but we also cannot say it's bad, making something by a mod maker & by a pro is different

I said about Tom Clensy splinter cell not pandora tomorrow, I missed this unreal warfare engine thing & though it to be just a slight modification of Unreal engine 1.0

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Welcome, HellSpawnLucifer, I take it you're the person icecoolz was talking about.
First off,

HellSpawnLucifer said:
Please note that this is just FYI ... I wouldnt want anyone to take offence.

Nobody takes offence, you can be sure of that, least of all me. I know a developer when I see one, whether its 1 post or 1000, content is what matters. And if we can learn something from each other, well, that's the whole point to the forum, isn't it? :D There's nothing I like more like someone correcting me and I learn something else new. The problem is this, I strayed from everything to do with hardware and game design more than two point five years ago, and while I've been following developments, now all I have is others' information guiding me, instead of a DIY approach. So sometimes I get misguided by other posts and usually tend to think that people post stuff on what they know about, and when someone corrects me, I at least Google for it and try to correct myself. I believe its called "The Serendipity Effect" :lol:

HellSpawnLucifer said:
So its more like "DOOM3 uses tangent space bump mapping with normal maps ....". Please feel free to look up any references on bump mapping if you feel I am incorrect.

Gotcha, I did look it up on Google and spent a lot of time reading through it again, and you're right. I stand corrected. I spent all afternoon looking for the source page that I had seen months earlier and what has happened is that somehow my brain twisted the information out of context a bit. The source reads:

Doom 3 uses normal maps for some models to "emulate" high geometry details. Theoretically, the bump maps we were so much told about by video card manufacturers are also normal maps, just tied up to textures instead of triangles. In both cases normal maps are responsible for the interaction of surfaces with their incident rays of light.

Needless to say, I think I twisted the letters in bold out of context. I apologize. Thank you for correcting me.

HellSpawnLucifer said:
The normal maps also do not have anything to do with shadows, these are rendered by a method called stencil shadows. If you notice carefully enough, "Counselor Swann's hexagonal skull" shadow will STILL be hexagonal, since stencil shadows are pixel precise.

Again, I dont know why I went into shadowing. I know Doom 3 uses shadow volumes for rendering shadows and I also know all it takes is a 8-bit stencil buffer for this. Yet I still read on Google that normal maps, (the surface-local) interact with the incident light to decide the shadowing, which is then rendered by either shadow volume or shadow mapping. So.... help me out here, will you? You specifically said that normal maps have nothing to do with shadows, yet what I read is different.

HellSpawnLucifer said:
The reason the polycount has to be reduced, is because of the per fragment overhead of pixel shaders. This is also the reason the monsters disappear. Memory is hardly a problem, because all entities (meshdata) are only referenced. The fillrate, however represents a huge problem, because performing several passes running a vertex and pixel shader for each one imposes a serious fill rate drain.

Actually, I did address this issue in a later post. I said that "...it was better than leaving it in where every extra polygon rendered would inevitably lead to a drop in framerate."

And when it comes to multipass or multitexture rendering, doesn't the performance depend only on the memory and increases with increase in memory frequency and that the memory experiences the hardest strain of all? I've seen actual benchmarks with cards confirming this. Correct me if I am wrong, please!

HellSpawnLucifer said:
At this point, I'd advise you to go look up John Carmack's point plans ... where he discussed the R300 and the NV30 pipelines

I've seen that a long time ago, but thanks for refreshing my memory. :D It was wonderful reading through it again. But you have to admit that its a bit dated, I mean, NV40s are flooding the market and are the standard now. I didnt want to go into it in detail, but..

Correct me if I go wrong with this. The first pass fills up Z buffer values for all pixels and provided MSAA isnt used, the NV3x/40 cards do this at double speed. Next it calculates shadow volumes and writes it to the stencil buffer, again at doubled speed after which it begins texturing.

So, while using the NVxx paths, it does the job faster. Which is pretty much the same thing I said ealier and is also pretty much one of the key things Carmack has said in that post. So, I am confused, why did you tell me to look at it?

Anyway, thanks a lot for correcting me and I apologize for the mistakes I made. This has been one of the best times I've had in a while, swapping ideas and I have you guys to thank for it. As always, please go through my posts and if you think there is a mistake, feel free to slam me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

gxsaurav said:
since we both know, atleast I do that nothing is perfect in this world, i just say that Kudos to ID for creating this much nice illusion that despite being low textured it looked so good

You said it! :D Nothing's perfect, certainly not me or my video card, at least. :D And yes, in the end I dont care about all of this as long as I can forget everything else and just play the game, and yes, even low settings will do. :lol: Once Quake 4 and RtCW2 come out, I will forget everything and just care about bashing demons and the undead.

And oh, even I was talking about Splinter Cell not Pandora Tomorrow. The original Splinter Cell for the PC, XBox and PS2 versions as well as the sequel, are still based on Unreal Engine 2.0. Nothing of Splinter Cell was ever made on Unreal Engine 1.0. In fact, it even won the awards for it and was lauded in the UnrealTechnology.com and Epic websites.

@icecoolz: Dont worry, I am not that geeky myself. I still like the Ren and Stimpy show and dont miss a single episode of The Simpsons. Just your regular average guy that likes to read. :D

@allwyndlima: I will have to do a bit of research into the games, but as for the network adapter, yeah, I have it built in to my PSTwo. Still waiting for the Network Access Disc though. Will definitely post some info on it in a new thread.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@Gx....uhhhh well ok Now U=Gx And Enoo=Prof.....Gotcha and registered into my brain....Btw now that u have Kudosed ID And given a great deal of time here and i guess i'll take u out of the equation(this thread of course) for a while.....so until u show up again.....Kudos from my side :wink:

@newdude (hellspawnlucifier.....woah what a name)......first off welcome to the forum and man what a grt entry into ur first post....plzz do continue.....i wanna see prof beg for mercy :lol: :lol:

@prof....looks like more and more competition headin ur way....well anyways do lemme know how much will and extra apadter cost and how can i connect more that 1 PS2 on it :?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
allwyndlima said:
.i wanna see prof beg for mercy

Yeah, yeah, I am sure you do! :D I make one mistake and I am "begging for mercy"? In the words of the great Daffy Duck, "Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin!" ROTFL, just kidding! :lol::lol: I always love a good healthy argument. As for competition, I dont know. If I can learn something new, its always good, isn't it? :D Still working on the PS2 post though. Should finish it by tonight.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Muhaaaahhhh Prof now that we are done with the begging part (not completely though i didnt see ya on ur feet :lol:) lets see whats left ahhh...yes ur reply for PS2.....and yea a request mate plzzz make it a longy one of ur posts ok and moreover make it in dummies learning terms (in short my kinda term :lol:).....also dude u seem like an adrent Cartoon buff like i used to be....grt now i have a companion as well.....as for the competition well what can i say i hope we are just gettin started.....So Long live u and Your Long Posts :wink:

DKant

In the zone
Gr8 posts all over the place! :D Saving the unread ones to my HD. I'll read them later...quite sleepy rite now. ;)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Re: About bumpmapping and normal maps

HellspawnLucifer said:
Dear enoonmai,
I'd like to correct you a little about the bump mapping and normals ...

According to Blinn, bump mapping is "a method of using a texturing function to perform a small perturbation on the direction of the surface normal before using it in the intensity calculations"

The perturbed normal is calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface parameters (typically the texture coordinates) and the height map values. The derivatives indicate the rate at which the underlying values change, so if the derivatives of the height are large, it means that the slope at that point in the height map is steep.

The problem with this method is that the per-fragment calculations required are quite steep. To this end, the perturbations are encoded in different ways.

One of the ways to encode the perturbations of the surface normal is called a normal map. This is a RGB texture, where each RGB triplet is a normalized vector indicating the current texels deviation from the straight up normal.

"Doom 3 boasts of extensive bump mapping, but did you know that for ALL their cry about bump-mapping, it uses just normal maps instead?"

Please do understand that the above information is incorrect, because all of the below are methods by which bump mapping is done.

*No modification of surface geometry*
1. Emboss bump mapping
2. Environment-mapped bump mapping (EMBM)
3. Normal mapping

*Modifies surface geometry*
4. Displacement mapping

A normal map, therefore, is just one lookup table given to a pixel shader that performs bump mapping in (mostly) tangent space.

So its more like "DOOM3 uses tangent space bump mapping with normal maps ....". Please feel free to look up any references on bump mapping if you feel I am incorrect.

"The normal (not bump) maps are also responsible for the interaction of surfaces with their incident rays of light and the shadows are actually more detailed than the objects that cast them. So when counsellor Swann, (with a hexagonal skull, thats right, he's got a hexagonal skull) looks good in the final rendering sequence. Which is also why when an imp throws a fireball, it casts perfect shadows on the walls, also making the normal maps on textured surfaces look 3D though they are utterly flat."

The normal maps also do not have anything to do with shadows, these are rendered by a method called stencil shadows. If you notice carefully enough, "Counselor Swann's hexagonal skull" shadow will STILL be hexagonal, since stencil shadows are pixel precise.

The reason the polycount has to be reduced, is because of the per fragment overhead of pixel shaders. This is also the reason the monsters disappear. Memory is hardly a problem, because all entities (meshdata) are only referenced. The fillrate, however represents a huge problem, because performing several passes running a vertex and pixel shader for each one imposes a serious fill rate drain.

"which is something that the ATIs don't have in place, so thats why it performs better on Nvidias than on the ATis."

At this point, I'd advise you to go look up John Carmack's point plans ... where he discussed the R300 and the NV30 pipelines ...

*doom-ed.com/john-carmack/nv30-vs-r300-current-developments-etc.html

Please note that this is just FYI ... I wouldnt want anyone to take offence.

--HellspawnLucifer

first of all i thank u hellspawnlucifier u saved my time :) ,i was just goin to post abt bumpmapping and normal maps after i read enoomai's post
,that post was too big :shock: and yes again misguiding (no prob) but.........

enoomai said:
You know, you're the first person to tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. Please dont criticize me like that again
sorry buddy but u did that again.

i started to post in this topic only to argue abt that doom3(game) is more visually appealing than hl2(becoz i don't really like when someone says that hl2 is visually better than doom3). we will see in future that what both the engines are capable of , we can't really judge abt the limitations of a game engine only based on some comments of mod developers. thats it.
:D

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven

tarey_g said:
first of all i thank u hellspawnlucifier u saved my time :) ,i was just goin to post abt bumpmapping and normal maps after i read enoomai's post
,that post was too big :shock: and yes again misguiding (no prob) but.
You know what, I tried hard to keep myself from neing sarcastic and post here but I just cant hold it anymore. Enoonmai posts on Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm and your posts comes at Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:25 am. In between I see you on the forum many-a-times. Yet you claim that you were about to post a reply! Wow! Thats some cheek. And then you go on to criticize Prof for something he has accepted as a genuine mistake? Wish HellSpawn had posted it a day late. I really would have loved to see your reply...if ever there was one! Flame me for all you wish, I give a damn.

@All: Guys, sorry to initiate a flame war but it's a promise that I wont utter a single word against anyone else here in this thread. I just couldnt stand the cheek of him. Sorry again.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
tarey_g said:
,that post was too big and yes again misguiding (no prob) but.........

(sigh) :( I swear, I am gonna break my fingers and apply for disability relief because of this one thread. :lol: You know what, I've tried saying it one way and then another, but what I am saying is this. I cant speak in plainer terms, so here it goes:

You keep saying my post is misguiding, and keep saying that over and over again, but could you please point out with my quotes where it is and what I've said that is actually misguiding?

HellSpawnLucifer actually took the time and the trouble to explain what it was that I had said wrong, and that turned to be two points in all the "n" points I've made since I started writing in this thread.

Sorry, buddy, I think I need a little more info than "you're misguiding again." I think I earned it. So, please, if its possible, go ahead and actually quote my "misguidings" and then offer a correction and proof for the correction, like HellSpawnLucifer did. I would really, really, REALLY appreciate it instead of being told that I am misguiding people yet again. I hope you understand. I am really ready to turn into a Kwyjibo on the loose and join the mental asylum here. ROTFL! :lol:

tarey_g said:
doom3(game) is more visually appealing than hl2(becoz i don't really like when someone says that hl2 is visually better than doom3).

Do you really think that's fair? Think about it! Just because you dont happen to like the statement that it looks better than Doom 3 (which I, incidentally, never said. All I said was that Doom 3 looks awesome in indoor environments while Source looks awesome in outdoor environments) doesn't mean that Source isn't as good as Doom 3, is it? I would then be tempted to say that you're an id Software fanboy and not a "neutral." Dont take this the wrong way. I do not mean any offense, like I said, just clearing up a couple of points. :D Again, I hope you understand.

LOL, and dont take this wrong way anyone, but we're all saying that we shouldn't comment on the engine capabilities until newer modified versions of it release on newer hardware, and seem to be fighting each other over it. Feels pretty stupid to me, because I am saying the same thing too. D'Oh! :lol:

EDIT:

@cody: OMG! That was indeed something. :D Talk about someone that will stand by you through thick and thin! I'm touched, man, honestly, I am. ( D@mn, forums dont have crying emoticons, do they? Oh wait, there is! :D) :cry: Just let it go, buddy. There's no point in starting a flame war and I dont want you getting into trouble because of me. Besides, we're the guys that stay patient and keep cool no matter what, right? :D Besides a flame war is only funny when Arachnid is bashing someone who's being downright abusive at the Skoar forums. :lol: :lol:

@Everyone: Please guys, no flame wars on my account.

@allwyndlima: Are you kidding, I would kill for cartoons. In fact, the only reason I bought a DVD writer was to write episodes of The Simpsons and other cartoons that I had recorded and free up hard disk space. :lol: When it comes to cartoon strips, I love C&H more than anything else in the whole wide world. I still owe you the PS2 post. :D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

ctrl_alt_del said:
tarey_g said:
,that post was too big :shock: and yes again misguiding (no prob) but.
You know what, I tried hard to keep myself from neing sarcastic and post here but I just cant hold it anymore. Enoonmai posts on Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:46 pm and your posts comes at Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:25 am. In between I see you on the forum many-a-times. Yet you claim that you were about to post a reply! Wow! Thats some cheek. And then you go on to criticize Prof for something he has accepted as a genuine mistake? Wish HellSpawn had posted it a day late. I really would have loved to see your reply...if ever there was one! Flame me for all you wish, I give a damn.

@All: Guys, sorry to initiate a flame war but it's a promise that I wont utter a single word against anyone else here in this thread. I just couldnt stand the cheek of him. Sorry again.

ctrl_alt_del looks like u see saas bahoo serials a lot (aag lagaane ki khujli), btw i read the post today only and i was going to answer but the mistake was already pointed out, i am a dial up use and i only surf in night and i dont surf everynight , i dont hav the luxury of broad band connection like u so i cannot keep posting every time(also not my duty)

abt the mapping issue i knew that ennoomai had written wrong ,and i dont follow anyone blindly like u do(i hav a big doubt if u read anyone's post carefully), i am not critisizing enoomai as i had gone thru all the posts b4 posting that he had accepted his mistake as u can read

tarey_g said:
that post was too big and yes again misguiding (no prob)

i just reminded him that nobody is correct everytime.
i hope u get it ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
ctrl_alt_del looks like u see saas bahoo serials a lot (aag lagaane ki khujli)
LOL! Good one mate. I will take it in my stride rather than say something nasty. Keeping my side of the promise. Just on a personal note, I would be rather dead then watch one of those tear-jerkers. But I admit, that "aag lagane ki khujli" really made me smile. Btw, you called me a "jahndoo" once. What does that exactly mean? Just curiosity! :)

Now lets bury all the ill feelings and get back to the subject. Agent 47 says he thinks HL2 graphics are not great. I say I love the graphics. Rest who agree or disagree can argue. I will watch from the sidelines.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
enoonmai said:
tarey_g said:
,that post was too big and yes again misguiding (no prob) but.........

You keep saying my post is misguiding, and keep saying that over and over again, but could you please point out with my quotes where it is and what I've said that is actually misguiding?

do i need to if one user has done it already, i even googled for relevant info to post here(found a nice informative pdf document , if u need i will send that to u) but the expaination was done in a better way already , i appriciate that u accepted ur mistake. and i posted abt that.
do u need that i must proov myself just for ur satisfaction then i am sorry i can't do that. i can't write big posts if there is no need.

HellSpawnLucifer actually took the time and the trouble to explain what it was that I had said wrong, and that turned to be two points in all the "n" points I've made since I started writing in this thread.

when did i say all ur post was misguiding but still it was a bit.

Sorry, buddy, I think I need a little more info than "you're misguiding again." I think I earned it. So, please, if its possible, go ahead and actually quote my "misguidings" and then offer a correction and proof for the correction, like HellSpawnLucifer did.

funny , why do u need that if its already done. if i had read the post b4 i surely had posted abt it.

Do you really think that's fair? Think about it! Just because you dont happen to like the statement that it looks better than Doom 3 (which I, incidentally, never said. All I said was that Doom 3 looks awesome in indoor environments while Source looks awesome in outdoor environments) doesn't mean that Source isn't as good as Doom 3, is it? I would then be tempted to say that you're an id Software fanboy and not a "neutral." Dont take this the wrong way. I do not mean any offense, like I said, just clearing up a couple of points. :D Again, I hope you understand.

i am not a id fanboy but the truth is truth doom3(game) looks better then hl2 and i never said i was arguing abt it with u , i said that i started posting in this thread abt doom3 lookin better that hl2 . arguin abt u was abt the outdoor map thing , and as u say it will best be proved when the games come based on d3 engine in future. i agree that ,but no one can say that d3 engine will be unsuccessful in rendering the outdoors in a better way

LOL, and dont take this wrong way anyone, but we're all saying that we shouldn't comment on the engine capabilities until newer modified versions of it release on newer hardware, and seem to be fighting each other over it. Feels pretty stupid to me, because I am saying the same thing too. D'Oh! :lol:
i agree , feels stupid to me too :shock: :D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
ctrl_alt_del said:
ctrl_alt_del looks like u see saas bahoo serials a lot (aag lagaane ki khujli)
LOL! Good one mate. I will take it in my stride rather than say something nasty. Keeping my side of the promise. Just on a personal note, I would be rather dead then watch one of those tear-jerkers. But I admit, that "aag lagane ki khujli" really made me smile. Btw, you called me a "jahndoo" once. What does that exactly mean? Just curiosity! :)

well when u say someone jhandoo that means saying him dumb in a funny lovin way(nothin serious :D )

G

You know what I find silly? People going on and on about Doom3 engine vs. Source engine, their capabilities, normal vs. bump mapping, or the gameplay etc.

READ THE TITLE! This thread is about HL2 not looking great (in comparison to Doom 3).

Who cares what the engines are capable of? We can only judge what we have seen, and those are the games. If you compare what we have seen in D3 and HL2 (disregarding individual preference of dark and light, some people, like me, were pissed by all the darkness) D3 looks incredibly more realistic (except some places where it looks a bit plasticky) with the awesome lighting and shadowing. HL2 is great, but not as good.
Nobody even said that HL2 graphics are not good (except some guy who comared it to DX 7 level).

Also I was surprised by everyone ganging up on tareyji when he said that "the objects of HL2 lacked bump mapping". I agree with him (bring on the brick bats)! I played the game at max settings with AA at 4x and AS at 4x. I loved the game and the effects were beautiful (especially the combine shields), but the game objects (chairs, doors, walls, floors) were really flat looking most of the time (most not all), whereas everything in D3 had depth in it...

So no matter what the Source engine is capable of, HL2 could have looked better. It might have caused a performance hit, but blaming the weakness of hardware is not the solution.

As of everyone saying that anyone comparing HL2 to Doom3 is fanboy-ism, it is only natural that people compare HL2 with D3 at HL2 came after it.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Anonymous said:
Also I was surprised by everyone ganging up on tareyji when he said that "the objects of HL2 lacked bump mapping.

grrrr :x for the last time i am telling its tarey_g and that g not= ji , ji is used for elders (sharma ji,verma ji etc) ,and its a long time(years) after which i wud like to be called tareyji. btw that g=gaurav thats my name.

btw who r u?

ok is dial up usr ko ab maaf karo sone ka time ho gaya, aur dua karo ki mere shaher me jaldi hi broadband shuru ho jaaye. amen :lol:

G

Ok tareyji, oh sorry, tarey_g, he he.

I used to be a memeber of the forums a long time ago, and was acitve for only a short time, but got bored. Now I ocasionally visit to see if anything interesting is going on. I just watch from the shadows, kinda like "Deep Throat" :). This is my first post in a long while.

If anyone wants to chalange me about the thing I said about the flatness of the HL2 in-game objects, I will be happy to post some screen shots (though I would have to install the game)

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Could we plz cut out the "I love doom3 better cos I think it looks better" stuff. If you have a logical reason and can back up your views with facts as provided then plz provide them. The point is to keep the ideas objective and not get personal on it. That is the only way this will not develop into a flame war.

@enoonmai. Hellspawn works with me. We meet up every day altho we are on diff teams. We quake3 whenever we can ;) He knows what hes talkin about and hes rewritten the quake2 and the quake3 renderer ;) Thats why I egged him on to post here. Cos he said that what you said wasnt exactly correct. Better a person who knows what hes talkin about to post than me :D I knew you would take it in the right spirit!!! We def should meet up sometime. I can even get him to come along!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@all.....i agree with icecoolz and could we cut the arguement cause quite frankly am gettin really tired of it....plus i know it has not started with personal abuses but in no case do i or rather anyone this forum wants it to....ok so "I LIke Doom 3 Visually" So what Kill Hl2 buyers and if "I like Hl2" visually crush all Doom 3 owners :twisted: :twisted: whats the point here 2 Diff game developers create 2 diff games on 2 diff game engines both of which are unarguably grt ones so are they meant to be compared.....hell no they are meant to be played and enjoyed not critised for one lacking another techonlogy and Vice versa.......Sheeezzzz :evil:

@unknown person.....now i understand u obviuosly have something for tarey_g (did i speel it correctly oh yes i did) but in no way were we ganging up or that sorta stuff but just asking him for a explanation for the bump mapping confusion which he cleared later on :wink:

@tarey_g....now lets see dosen matter who started the flame but could we just cut with the name calling and stuff....now when i first saw the word "Jhandoo"i know why we ppl call that word over here in Mumbai it might be a silly little word or as ya put it a funny loving way of dumb but just remeber why use such words and direct em towards forum members.....come on man no offence but could we just keep it clean for a while out here :D

@enoo....yes siree u do owe me one big thread....so CIAO 8)

Peace :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom