Yo Man! hAlf life 2 graphicaly not that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.47

Broken In
i played half life 2 on a friends pc bout 2 day's back (he's got an fx6800)
and it was not all that cool much like it was built on dx7 :x

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Rotfl! Oooh boy! Thats priceles. DX7? Wow! Whats the last DX9 based game that you have played? Bet Doom3 too looked to sissy to you. Saying the graphics didnt impress you is something else but saying it looks like a DX7 based game is really a whole new outlook!

borg

In the zone
The point that even I want to put forth is the hype & flash that is put behind these games. The whole concept is not all that revolutionary as it is claimed to be.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Why, you little..... not that good? What's good to you then? Dangerous Dave? Or do you dabble in true VR? DX7 indeed, what did you play it on? A DX7 card? The story was a bit of a letdown, especially at the end, but I can understand that. They wanted to create a cliffhanger ending, and they did it. And the idea of finding out the details and the big picture as Gordon himself does is really a neat trick. Did I mention a reallly good cast of characters that you really cared about and felt attached to? Did I mention ultra-realistic facial animations and an excellent voice-acting? Did I mention one of the best looking environments (also the most "usable" one) ever? Did I mention the best in-game physics ever? Or the really good and intricate storyline?
You can say Doom 3 didn't live up to his hype, maybe I would accept that, but even thats only in the gameplay department. But you can't say anything about HL2. It definitely lived up to the hype, and then some more. Sure, we all had a bit of a problem with Steam and still do, but thats no reason to tirade against what in my opinion, is the best game ever made - period.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
HL2 definitely lived up to the hype that it created. I agree the story was a bit of a letdown, but thats only becuase we are desperate to know the ending. In no way has HL2 let down in the graphical goodness. It delivered what it promised.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
HL2 looks good but not as good as doom3 . doom 3 is the best if compared visually to any other game present.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
If visuals come at the cost of dipping framerates, montonous gameplay and the need to upgrade to the maximum possible limit, then I will thankfully stick with HL2.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
If visuals come at the cost of dipping framerates, montonous gameplay and the need to upgrade to the maximum possible limit, then I will thankfully stick with HL2.

Talkin of dipping framerates...
Half life 2 engine is more crappy and has a prob of shuttering(i personally am frustrated with this prob , first HL2 then Vampire:Bloodlines) . Doom3 on the other hand was a big surprsie to me as it ran at high settings on my pc giving decent framerates with antialiasing at 2xQ. Same pc and HL-2 is down(really frustrating) you lower the resolution but the shuttering prob is as it is.

As a whole package HL2 was better than doom3 but not when graphics are compared. Doom ran well on my pc and looked far better than HL2.

Major-Minor

Broken In
a) HL-2 ROCKS!! totally
b) I think COTR:EFBB looks and is better in the gameplay department when compared to DOOM3. Doom3 was good but personally for me HL-2, COTR:EFBB and FarCry were far more enjoyable.

CyCo

In the zone
Doom3 has awesome graphics and was good fun especially to kill the gory monsters which wd pop outta newhere .... out it on 5.1 speakers in a closed room and then tell me u dnt enjoy it ...

HL2 was also good .. they physics engine waz sexy ...

Serial_Killer

Broken In
IMHO , doom3 beats hl2 graphics wise and also doom engine runs with no problems ,Although ATI card owners might feel it runs slow.

But on the other hand doom3 is linear with not much story and hl2 has lot of different locations to play (outdoor and indoor) ,gud AI and awesome physics.

So both have thier pros n cons ...

For me Its DOOM3 .since i love mind less shooters

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Mr.47 said:
i played half life 2 on a friends pc bout 2 day's back (he's got an fx6800)
and it was not all that cool much like it was built on dx7 :x

yea HL2 isnt much stressed out on Gfx but the Gameplay was the initial point of consideration here.....its not based on the Doom 3 Gfx engine and rather the Dx7 compliation was more seen in the Water ripples in HL2.....also the gameplay for HL2 is the best and immersing :wink:

OP
M

Mr.47

Broken In
GUYS ONLY GOOD DAMN THING OF HL2 IS THE PHYSICS
AND THE HORROR THOUGH I MUST CONFESS MY FRIEND
DIDNOT LET ME FINISH THE GAME MYSTYLE(HI U MAN HOPE U READ THIS 2) I WASN'T BAD FOR GAME PLAY AS ALL HL(mods) HAVE BUT WAS CRAPPY FOR DISPLAY
I GIVE IT 7.7/10( MINUS 2 FOR GRAPHICS AND MINUS .3 FOR NOT HAVING MY OWN PC STRONG ENOUGH TO PLAY THAT).......SIGH................

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I really cant understand how one can award a minus 3 for the graphics department of HL2?!!! And how on Earth will not having your own powerful computer make you deduct marks from the game yet again???!!! I am flummoxed!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Anyone who thinks the Source engine is cr@p should seriously get their heads examined, in my opinion. As for Doom 3, it looks good all right, no can say anything about that, but no one has seen what the engine can do when it comes to rendering large outdoor environments. And judging by pretty much every single mod developer out there who says that Doom 3 sucks big time when it comes to rendering outdoor scenes. No other engine except Source and CryEngine can deliver ultra realistic outdoor environments. And I've seen HL2 running pretty good at 800x600 on a Nvidia 5600 Ultra on an AGP 4x slot, with 256 MB of DDR266 RAM and a P42.0 GHz processor, while Doom 3 takes an eternity and kept dropping frame rates a lot at the same resolution.

allwyndlima said:
and rather the Dx7 compliation was more seen in the Water ripples in HL2.

It wasn't DX7, it was DX8.1 and it was pretty much a problem only with people who had GeForce FX cards, since enabling DX9.0 on these cards screwed the game up completely, so Valve was forced to render the water reflections using DX8.1. It works in full DX9.0 on the ATI 9600/9800/Xx00 and the GeForce 6x00 cards. A DX8.1 water reflection patch fixed the problem though and GeForce FX users could get the gamut of water reflections using the DX8.1 pathway itself.

DKant

In the zone
Or, u can make HL believe that ur using an ATI card by modifying some of the files. Saw it sumwhere on Guru3D.

But methinx DIII scales better and looks much better @ low res and low settings, provided u meet the min requirements. HL2 on the other hand needs relatively high-end h/w to show its true colours, but needs a lower end sys to begin with.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I disagree.

With my on-board SiS 650 card and 256 DDR RAM, Doom 3 with everything on the lowest possible setting, did initialise but it took me a whole min to climb up the stairs from the drop-off point to the scanner area.

While with HL2, I could keep some settings on Medium, run the game on 800*600 res and still enjoy the combine bashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom