Yet another SMPS / PSU query!

Jags

Journeyman
I am posting this question after reading through a lot of SMPS post on thinkdigit.
Because of this post: http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pow...ds/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html I am inclined towards the costlier PSUs and also my desktop recently stopped working and when I took it to a local guy he basically told me that one of my RAM, my GPU, my SATA and zebronics SMPS are dead.

The 1st thing I need to decide is how much watt I need. So I went to Cooler Master Power Supply Calculator - Standard and added my PC specs (core2duo, Nvidia 8400GS 512mb ddr2 GPU, one SATA, one DVD ROM) and got 226W. Since this PC is my workstation I know for sure that I dont need to expand it much. Based on this is a cooler master 350W or corsair 350W good enough for me?

#2 Do I need to check corsair/cm PSU compatibility with my cabinet size (I have a big spacious cabinet)? I suppose they should fit into all cabinets (execpt maybe mini) but then again I am not sure.

#3 do I need to check if they are compatible with the power pins on my mobo (I have an ABIT IP 35E)?

#4 which will be a suitable SMPS based on my limited requirement. I dont need to run HD movies or play heavy graphics game. I use this PC for s/w development.

> Use this system Wattage calculator instead, it's much more detailed, accurate and reliable: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

> Stay away from Cooler Master PSUs, they aren't good. Corsair, Seasonic and few Antec models should be chosen from with Corsair and Seasonics being the best of three.

> For compatibility, all ATX 2.1 (not sure of current version) and backward compatible. An old motherboard will probable have 20 pin ATX connector while modern PSUs come with 20+4 pin connector which is backward compatible. So, there will be no incompatibilities.

> Can you post post your system config?

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
> Use this system Wattage calculator instead, it's much more detailed, accurate and reliable: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

> Stay away from Cooler Master PSUs, they aren't good. Corsair, Seasonic and few Antec models should be chosen from with Corsair and Seasonics being the best of three.

> For compatibility, all ATX 2.1 (not sure of current version) and backward compatible. An old motherboard will probable have 20 pin ATX connector while modern PSUs come with 20+4 pin connector which is backward compatible. So, there will be no incompatibilities.

> Can you post post your system config?

Harshil: Corsair also has similar UI in advanced view. But I will still check it on the link you gave.

Pc config is: Core2Duo, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Abit IP-35E, NVidia 8400GS 512MB DDR2, 1TB SATA HDD.

Since I know for sure that I wont upgrade my GPU or add lots of components (I may upgrade to 8 GB RAM), I wonder if 350W will be enough. I dont overclock as well.

EDIT: Just checked on the link you gave and got :
Minimum PSU Wattage: 186 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 236 W

Nerevarine

Incarnate
He doesnt need that much power.. If OP isnt willing to upgrade his graphics card in the future, a 350w corsair will be fine for him..
Even if he does, 350 watt can easily handle lower end GPUs..

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
#1 I can't find it for 2.6K on any online site
#2 and wont 350W be enough for me?
#3 Is there a 350W Antec I can go for? I googled but only got newsegg and other international sites. Is Antec 350W available in India?

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
I think I will go with Antec 300W..On lot of other threads Antec is recommended over corsair and CM.

Thanks for the suggesting a product: @topgear, @rijinpk1! I will be getting it from infibeam.
@Nerevarine: thanks for figuring out my wattage needs!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
FYI : Antec VP350 and VP450 has completely different design and componenets used so if you can VP450 will be a better choice - VP350 is only good if you don't want to go over Rs. 2000 for a new psu.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
Corsair VS450 450 Watt PSU = it's for 2400 on FK. Also 5% discount is going on means will cost 2280. Great Deal IMO.

OP
Jags

Jags

Journeyman
And I used to trust Corsair with a blind eye!
I always thought of Corsair brand as being perfect in everything..not sure why..I only bought their economy series RAM and pen drive..

Top Bottom