y so much mem????(FC5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
my FC% installation uses memory as shown in pic...but windows uses so less...y this happens?
how to enable swap in FC5(the commands)???

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
DId you create a swap partition? If not make one, then mount it using swapon /dev/hdax or /dev/sdax depending on whether you have PATA disk or SATA disk.

eddie

El mooooo
Look at the values mentioned against "-/+ buffers/cache". That is the amount of memory actually being used. The rest of the memory which is being showed as "Used" is used for caching libraries for quick access but it is not really used. It is free and kernel can always purge the older cache whenever needed for actual usage.

As far as adding swap is concerned. You need to make a swap partition and then mount it by inserting its entry in /etc/fstab. The next time your system boots, it will be auto-detected and used as for swap purpose.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Romeo, you are wrong!! Windows uses lots of memory compared to Linux!!.
How much swap space did you create? Create atleast 1.5 GB for swap.
If you use XGL, then memory & processor usage will be higher , since it's a 3D
user-interface.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
thanx eddie for the info...
can i use the swap created during ubuntu(around 600mb)(i have ubuntu too :))???
@jguru yeah right win uses hell lot of virtual mem!!!!
BTW What is XGL??

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
XGL is a 3D desktop environment backed by Novell. There's another competing project called AIGLX.
Search the forum with these two as keywords and you will find more info on it.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
i had some problem with booting then i deleted menu.lst and later fixed grub....now whatever changes i make to menu.lst dont show up in boot menu while booting..(i had later replaced menu.lst).y does this happen????

eddie

El mooooo
romeo_8693 said:
can i use the swap created during ubuntu(around 600mb)(i have ubuntu too :))???
Yes you can use that. Various Linux installs can use same swap partition.
romeo_8693 said:
i had some problem with booting then i deleted menu.lst and later fixed grub....now whatever changes i make to menu.lst dont show up in boot menu while booting..(i had later replaced menu.lst).y does this happen????
Are you making changes to the right menu.lst? You have two distros installed. It could be that you GRUB is installed by Fedora and you are editing file in Ubuntu or vice versa. Have you checked that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom