XPS M1530: a brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharlad

Down to Earth
I have made my mind for XPS 1530 again with T 9300 processor.
Can any one tell the performance of TV tuner card with it. Dell is providing Avermedia hybrid card. Is it wise decision to have TV tuner with laptop ?
How the TV cable is connected with the card ?

VD17

Journeyman
Status of my XPS M1530:

Issues:
Since the webcam was changed, a hinge cover right next to the XPS logo is loose.
The smudging on the lid surface is really irritating. The price you pay for a suave, black look... heh

A friend of mine who has recently joined dell tech support told me that the known issues for my batch of xps was battery problem and drive issues, both of which have not yet occurred in my laptop *touch wood*

I'll be able to get my hands on another brand new XPS M1530 in a few days as my girlfriend ordered hers as well. This one is with a higher resolution screen, T9300 processor and 320GB HDD... will post my experience with that when I can.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup sure will be waiting for the review.. :)

btw, any news still tat wen DELL are gonna introduce the 9xxx series of gpu in their lappys ???? (i am still waiting since 3 months after hearing this rumour :( )
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

prateek_san

Phenom II X4 920 Owner
^^

btw, any news still tat wen DELL are gonna introduce the 9xxx series of gpu in their lappys ???? (i am still waiting since 3 months after hearing this rumour :( )
-----------

sorry dude... still we have no updates on that .... will provide the info asap we get it...

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hi, i wud like to make this a Long term review, so though it important to post here.

Bout one month ago, my M 1530 showed some problems like one of its speaker
went dead. I didnt bothered much as i always use headphones. Then its battery bagan showing trouble.
It wont charge beyond specific levels like 20% or so. randomly in a few days it ll charge to some 40or 50% then stops. Once discharged it again stops at 20 or 25%.

Registered a complaint via their site, and got the speaker as well as battery replaced within 3 days onsite.
The great surprise was i got a 9 cell battery in liu of my old 6 cell.
WOW:mrgreen:
Dell is gr8.
Im getting an avg backup of 3~3.5 hrs on high performance and almost 5 hrs on power saver mode.

my experience with dell was gr8:
*first of all for 25k discount via EPP
*the got many stuffs which i didnt ordered like another EP 630, bluetooth headset[i think it came free], carry sleeve etc
* got 7k+ expensive 9 cell battery

I extended my warranty as it was about to expire. It cost me 16.5k for 2 years complete care with accidental warranty. I think its completely worth it.​

VD17

Journeyman
i envy you, man... i so want my battery to die on me right now so that i can badger them into giving me a 9-cell one as well...
btw, did they tell you why it happened? mine is working perfectly fine.. although i do discharge cycles 3-4 times a week, max...
and i'll be going in for the warranty extension as well.. glad that you mentioned how much it'll cost...

Meanwhile, the story with my XPS M1530:

EP 630's died on me... twice! actually, the replacement they sent got screwed in 2 days... audio died on one earphone...
Dell replaced it without any hassles and sent me a completely new set... Since their dispatching area (some partnership with DHL) was close to my college, i managed to get my replacements within 4 hours of the case being lodged at tech support.

Webcam cable got damaged. This was totally my fault. left the computer running and stuffed it in the backpack for a complete hour... it was almost burning hot when i took the laptop out. Again, next business day solution to the problem.

However, when the guy fixed the webcam, he didnt align the lid properly, so i called them again a few days later and someone else came and fixed it...
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
The story with my girlfriend's XPS M1530:

Battery backup is awesome, man... didnt know t9300 was that efficient.. she gets 2.20 hours on the same 6 cell which gives me 2 hours on balanced power plan.

However, we forgot to order hdd partitioning.. so things are a bit hard to manage.

THe computer developed a weird freezing tendency... everything would freeze a few minutes after logging in to windows. System restore solved it but windows media player still does the same. Will format and reinstall her OS once when i get time.

The lid has become pretty loose and the alignment is a bit messed up.. worse than what it was in my case when the technician screwed up. will call the tech soon...

BTW, i used my vacuum cleaner's blower to clean the exhaust vent of my laptop... it blew a dust-storm for 2 complete seconds out of that place... result: the laptop runs a full 10 degree C cooler now... the fan too runs way less often than before... i guess all laptop owners should do this in 5-6 months.. but with caution.

Last edited:
OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
ya me too uses vacuum cleaner blower. When i did it fir first time i was mazed to see the amount of dust in the cooler. Ya, mine too runs oober cool in highly oced condition[gpu@ 650/1540].

u can opt for next business day + parts warranty for 12k -2 yrs.
But accdent warranty is worth i think as u can get even complete replacement even if accidently dropped it, ofcouse uve to prove the drop genuine.:-D

i got 9 cell by mistake i think. The serviceman was too doubtful and called the service centre and they said they got the serial no. of that product> and it was by mistake the s/l no. of a 9 cell.

my both Ep's are working fine. the warranty extension wont cover extra stuffs and battery. i usually discharge 3~4 times per day and remainin g time work with power on.
nyway this new 9 cell is almost 3/4 KG heavier thn 6 cell i think and bit bulky too, though it fits in the old sleeve tight.
i use my lap also for 24/7 download:-D my desktop being dead for last 6 months.

btw, did u try ocing ur GPU?

VD17

Journeyman
heh.. no, yaar.. dont game much... pretty ironic, huh?

My primary use of a laptop is music, and pretending to work :D
the only thing i regret is the sound card.. i am somewhat of an audiophile and the sound really disappoints me... will buy a creative x-fi xpress card as soon as it is launched in India...

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
btw Ep630 is horrible on its headphone jacks..u shud try somethin large like a Philips earcup type headphones[SHP 1900 or above]. They sounds somewhat great on it.
the power output of the jack seems overkill for the EP. cant operate it beyond 10% volume level.

VD17

Journeyman
yeah... the EP's are more volume sensitive than other earphones.. i actually do use a phillips with my laptop... but then, that too distorts at very high volumes.. i remember my friend's HP DV 6767 in which the headphones performed absolutely perfectly... full volume, full bass.. no distortion... heh..
anyway, you win some, you lose some... for someone not as audio crazy as me, you win all... :D

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Got 2 year warranty extended for 16k
its complete cover + accidental warranty.

w/o accidental warranty it was some 12k for 2 years.

VD17

Journeyman
BAD NEWS:
My laptop:
Optical drive failed.
Motherboard dead.

After I got my optical drive replaced, my motherboard dead after a few weeks (unrelated to the drive replacement). The computer now does not even start up most of the times. POST appears rarely, and the power goes off half way through the loading bar. A technician is coming tomorrow.

Because of this problem, my HDD developed bad sectors and now that needs replacement as well.

My girlfriend's laptop:
Motherboard stopped recognizing the a/c adapter. Adapter and motherboard, both replaced.

BTW... both laptops are XPS M1530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom