can i know from where u came to know abt it
any source that i7-2630QM has HD 3000

yaaa
every one has neglected
1600 mhz ram in i7-2720QM
wat do u think that will it be a trend to use 1600mhz
within years to come

n can i use 1 1333mhz ram n the other 1600 mhz ram at once

Will it give me more boost with 1600 Mhz ram?

coz i personally think that as processing power has increased
so application demanding more processing power will also increase with time
im sayin it for next 4 years

tkin

Back to school!!
but in HD 3000 all IGP have clock frequency of 1.3 ghz

I doubted the IGP of i7-2630QM coz it has a clock frequency of 1.1ghz
can i know from where u came to know abt it
any source that i7-2630QM has HD 3000

yaaa
every one has neglected
1600 mhz ram in i7-2720QM
wat do u think that will it be a trend to use 1600mhz
within years to come

Will it give me more boost with 1600 Mhz ram?

Does the laptop have graphic card? If yes then what will you do with onboard graphics?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yes. It'll run at the speeds of 1333MHz. Therefore there is no point buying 1600. Buy 1333 and save a few bucks.

Both CPU will be outdated at the same time.

Check this out
Test System Fairly similar to your Dell XPS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M 1GB
4 GB DDR3-RAM (1333 MHz)
Crucial RealSSD C300 256 GB
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/cc5363aec1.gif
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/8eda1b1cb3.gif
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/ffe1b1907d.gif
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/bae92de163.gif

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gaming performance in a laptop will be determined by the discrete GPU not the processor. There isn't much practical performance difference between i7-2630QM and i7-2720QM. You are better off investing 10k somewhere else.

I have absolutely no idea why you are running after clock frequencies of Intel HD 3000 when you will be absolutely not using those for gaming. It will be only used for general desktop applications, Aero and when you are on battery. Both are good enough for this. Lastly, every Intel Sandy Bridge mobile processor has HD 3000 according to wikipedia. No HD 2000. :)

aytus

The Boss
Dude, listen to what these guys say.
First get your mind clear on the fact that its almost next to impossible to upgrade anything on a laptop (barring ur RAM, HDD and CD-ROM.
Secondly, as of now the games are bottlenecked by the GPU and even an i3 will give u a comparable performance. Even then if ur workload demands u can get a i7 and its also a prerequisite to 540M which gives roughly 20% performance bump.
Thirdly u should look out at other options, like u can get a better performing lappy, except the screen in that 6017tx. And if ur thinking about pumping in the cash then m14x with 555 is a lot better VFM, (Well not exactly VFM) at @84k.
and stop thinking about integrated graphics.. they dont matter much cos u will switch to discreet one when the demand arises.

Cilus

laborare est orare
kishor_s, since you've provided the price in $, I'm assuming that you are purchasing it from abroad. THen why Dell XPS bro, they are not the best quality gaming laptops....I used to have one in 2007-2008 time period and I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Opt for companies like Asus, MSI etc as they have special set of gaming laptops.
Here is my suggestion for you

MSI GT683R-242US @ $1500 in newegg

The configs are:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
12 GB DDR3 ram
nVidia GTX 560M 1.5 GB GDDR5
15.6" display with 1080P resolution
2X500GB 7200 rpm HDD
DVD Super Multi
2 USB 3.0
2 USB 2.0
720P HD webcam
Dynaudio Tech Speakers x 4

This config is fare better than the XPS model you've mentioned. The GTX 560M 1.5 GB 192 bit GDDR5 is very highly ahead of GT 540M. In gaming GPU is the most important thing and even a higher speed dual core core i5 will do the gaming job but 540M, it is just a beginners choice...not a high end product.

randomuser111

Technomancer
Dude, If you are hell bent on getting XPS 15, do NOT get i7 2720qm. Not worth it.
But I suggest you look at new XPS 17 3D. For 84k you are getting both i7 2720qm AND Bluray + 3D Full HD screen and a much better Nvidia GT 555M GPU.
So decide between this and XPS 15 with i7 2630qm.
Don't get i7 2720qm, as you would have noticed from the above posted graphs it will not get you more fps in games or noticeable gain in application performance.

tkin

Back to school!!
kishor_s, since you've provided the price in $, I'm assuming that you are purchasing it from abroad. THen why Dell XPS bro, they are not the best quality gaming laptops....I used to have one in 2007-2008 time period and I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Opt for companies like Asus, MSI etc as they have special set of gaming laptops.
Here is my suggestion for you

MSI GT683R-242US @ $1500 in newegg

The configs are:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
12 GB DDR3 ram
nVidia GTX 560M 1.5 GB GDDR5
15.6" display with 1080P resolution
2X500GB 7200 rpm HDD
DVD Super Multi
2 USB 3.0
2 USB 2.0
720P HD webcam
Dynaudio Tech Speakers x 4

This config is fare better than the XPS model you've mentioned. The GTX 560M 1.5 GB 192 bit GDDR5 is very highly ahead of GT 540M. In gaming GPU is the most important thing and even a higher speed dual core core i5 will do the gaming job but 540M, it is just a beginners choice...not a high end product.
Didn't asus also launch a new laptop with GTX560M? A review is posted here by the sorcerer, forgot model name, something like G74x or something.

OP
K

kishor_s

Broken In
I have absolutely no idea why you are running after clock frequencies of Intel HD 3000

Dude i was saying it coz IGP processor is amazingly fast in video transcoding n encoding
it has hardware acceleration for those things

that is if a really fast nvidia gpu will take 3:00 to complete conversion of a video
Intel IGP will take around 10-15 secs
n trust me it works really well for day to day tasks
this is what intel displayed in CES 2011

n trust me it also performs really well in terms of redering frame per sec as compared to the clock frequency at which it operates

nvidia isnt that fast in video encoding n other things
coz it was made to handle games in a better not for video encoding
n other stuff

Install "Battery bar".

It has a battery meter on the battery

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude i was saying it coz IGP processor is amazingly fast in video transcoding n encoding
it has hardware acceleration for those things

that is if a really fast nvidia gpu will take 3:00 to complete conversion of a video
Intel IGP will take around 10-15 secs
this is what intel displayed in CES 2011

n trust me it also performs really well in terms of redering frame per sec as compared to the clock frequency at which it operates

nvidia isnt that fast in video encoding n other things
coz it was made to handle games in a better not for video encoding
n other
yes, that's called Quick Sync and only works with H.264 encoding as of now. Main difference will be between Intel HD 2000 and 3000. HD 3000 will be faster. None of Intel mobile processors have HD 2000. Slightly higher clock speed between the HD 3000 IGPs of two i7 models would save you only a handful of seconds.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Slightly higher clock speed between the HD 3000 IGPs of two i7 models would save you only a handful of seconds.

Under quick sync mode, no seconds.

Under software mode, maybe 5 seconds.

OP
K

kishor_s

Broken In
kishor_s, since you've provided the price in $, I'm assuming that you are purchasing it from abroad.

No im buying from india only
But thanks for suggestion

I was just afraid to buy a laptop online
n i cudnt find free shipping on any laptop
My cousins in USA wont be coming now
So i will hav to buy it from india only

ss max

Broken In
It will not be a good choice as both processors have a narrow gap in between them though its true that i7-2720QM performs better but it then it also costs 10k and it will be much wiser to stay with 2630QM as its also very powerfull . As far as gaming is concerned better gpu matter i.e. you should opt for better gpu this will make a good choice.

Top Bottom