XBOX 360 or A desktop with C2Q, 4 GB RAM, & 8800 GT ?

XBOX 360 or A desktop with C2Q, 4 GB RAM, & 8800 GT ?

• XBOX 360

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • A desktop with C2Q, 4 GB RAM, & 8800 GT

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

axxo

99.9% Idle
Theres difference between portable tv and home theater with plasma screen..
dont expect to do everything on Athlon xp 1800...

PC is better option anyday...
its like choosing between TV & PC...TV can be only for entertainment whereas PC for everything same goes for Xbbox & PC...

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
Theres difference between portable tv and home theater with plasma screen..
dont expect to do everything on Athlon xp 1800...

PC is better option anyday...
its like choosing between TV & PC...TV can be only for entertainment whereas PC for everything same goes for Xbbox & PC...

i guess that my laptop is quite good and i am running vista ultimate without any problems. i use my desktop just for downloading purposes.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
360 if you want pure gaming bliss .]

otherwise you'll wonder why you bought a 8800 GT after 2 years when it won't even be able to play games at 1024*768 at high settings ;)

The 360 will atleast last another 5 years at least and possibly more .

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Go for Console Dude
.. you already have enough PC .. Lapy-> Laptop C2D .. just good, Desk-> AthlonXP .. runs fine as of now.
So buy console. either SP3 or Xbox360. moreover you will get a decent movie experience also. and you are one hell of lucky boy.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
between whats the current price of SP3 ? it has blueray drive so it might be expensive as all the sony products are always overpriced! :x

I was planning to buy a XBOX 360 but my father told me that he would not invest 24,000 just for gaming purposes. Now yesterday my father saw an ad regarding 360 in the paper, where the pro 360's effective price was given as 15,300 something. But later we realised that since they were giving 4 free games, they subtracted the price from the 24,000 but I have to pay 24,000. Anyways, I called up one of the guys who mobile number was given beside the ad, and he told me that he can get my console modded for 2300 extra and that my warranty would not be void since he is in the company and the product would go through him if it has a defect within the one year replacement warranty period. My father called up another guy and he told that it's not possible and that the other guy is making false claims. The warranty would get void if modded whatever the circumstances are. But I saw on youtube that it's possible to take the warranty sticker out without tearing it, if heated with a hair dryer Anyways on ebay, I am getting this same console modded with 25 games and with an extra wireless controller for 26,000 which here would be 9000 more. So what should I do?

There is another question

My father is not keen to give me an 360 and is more interested in giving me a PC. Currently I have a Lenovo laptop with C2D 1.66, 100 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, GeForce Go 7400, Tv tuner, webcam. I also have a desktop purchased in 2002 with AMD ATHLON XP 1800+ @ 1.5 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, Creative 5.1 speaker and sound card. So as you can understand I am not being able to play any games right now. So should I buy a new PC or 360? Or should I wait for the new 45 nm C2Q processors, Geforce 9 series and ddr3 ram?

So it comes down to this, a computer with c2q q6600, 4 gb ddr2 ram, 8800 gt graphics card or the 360? Or should I wait?
I recomend you go for the PC, because you can always use XBox 360 emulators to play *hem hem* X Box games on the PC.

And instead of the 8800GT, I recomend you go for HD3550 CrossFire, as the latter will be more future proof.

Modding is an illegal topic, so avoid discussing it here.

PS3 is difficult to emulate, while the x360 is not. So if you are intrested in the xbox, buy a PC instead with the config you mentioned.

As for waiting for better parts, I would say go for ATI HD3xxx series graphics cards, and in the case of the Rs. 6k hd3550, keep two of them in crossfire mode and they will be better than the 8800GT and still be cheaper and play DX10.1 games.

Penryn wolfdale dual cores, like the Core2 Duo E8200/400/500/600 have already been released. They retail around 8k.

But to emulate an XBox 360, you need minimum 4 cores, because one core for each of the XBox core emulations(meaning 3 totally) and another core for running the system.

So I think you may need to wait for the Penryn Yorkfeild(or what ever its called) based cheap Quad Core processors.

And if all you want is a temporary gaming system, just get yourself a PS2, which costs 6-7k modded.

your current PC if it has a PCIe slot, can also be gifted a HD3550 as a tmporary solution.

The laptop is not old, and is rather perfect by today's standards for a notebook, but its not for gaming.

But both your PC AND Laptop can be used for things the PS2 can't be used for.

So a PS2 does make sence at 6-7k.

To sum it up, there is only one question I would like to ask before making any more statements: do you have a PCIe slot on your PC ?

For serious gaming, stick to gaming consoles like PS or Xbox. PC's..for gaming?...nah!

Go XBOX and get XBOX LIVE . Enjoy...
In your faces. Console gaming is much more expensive in the long run.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Pardon me but IMO buying the highest end hardware by paying premium for it thinking that it'll be "future-proof" (the definition varies, for me its jus 1 year!), is a foolish decision.

Pardon me but IMO buying the highest end hardware by paying premium for it thinking that it'll be "future-proof" (the definition varies, for me its jus 1 year!), is a foolish decision.
as long as it can run emulators of consoles(which are obviously future proof), any hardware can be called future proof.

But yes, highest end hardware, like core2 extreme dual/quad core cpus from intel is insane. Whats the point of paying that big a premium for a small performance boost, when you can instead invest on a dual cpu motherboard and get a couple of more vfm processors for it ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Emulators for PS3 and Xbox??!!!! What??!! Where!!????? When..!!! How??????!!!!

I recomend you go for the PC, because you can always use XBox 360 emulators to play *hem hem* X Box games on the PC.

PS3 is difficult to emulate, while the x360 is not.

But to emulate an XBox 360, you need minimum 4 cores, because one core for each of the XBox core emulations(meaning 3 totally) and another core for running the system.

I think you are horribly confused!!!

In your faces. Console gaming is much more expensive in the long run.
How?

Last edited:
Emulators for PS3 and Xbox??!!!! What??!! Where!!????? When..!!! How??????!!!!

I think you are horribly confused!!!

How?
well, I am just giving some examples about ease of emulation. And console gaming is much more expensive because you need to buy *original* games for something like 1k per game, which is not a throwaway price for most of us. While PC games can be obtained much more easily.

Emulation just needs hardware environment tweaking. But sadly, the PS3 and the Xbox360 are based on Power PC processors, which can be extremely hard to emulate for Intel/AMD processors.
As of now there is no such thing as XBOX 360 emulators dude
Just wait for it. It won't be long before it comes. There are already projects attempting it. same for Nintendo Wii. I think its taking longer than usual due to all the DRM, but don't worry. By the time you start feeling that PC games have exausted, there will be a sudden appearence of Xbox 360 emulators.

Anyway, you guys still didn't read my lines properly. When we talk of future proof, we mean ability to play the *latest* games of the future. This is not exactly nessary for PC users, because there already is a HUGE archive of PC/Xbox/PS1/PS2/GameCube games available for us to play on PCs. Whats more important is that the PC meets the general standards expected from game developers.

And let me give you an example of how "Futureproof" Consoles are. The game Raw Vs SmackDown 2007 was released for a PS2 as well as a PS3. Have you seen the gameplay on a PS2 ? I have, and I can guarentee that the PS2 can't handle it full throttle. But an Emulator can.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
And console gaming is much more expensive because you need to buy *original* games for something like 1k per game, which is not a throwaway price for most of us. While PC games can be obtained much more easily.
I'm sorry but thats a very LAME way of justifying things!!

But sadly, the PS3 and the Xbox360 are based on Power PC processors, which can be extremely hard to emulate for Intel/AMD processors.
PowerPC Emulatoin? See here: *pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

Its not hard to emulate powerPC arch. But that the arch. of those consoles are locked.

Just wait for it. It won't be long before it comes.
By the time it comes, I'm sure the present hardware would've been obsolete. The PS3 Cell proc. is an innovation! Its a very very very difficult task to emulate a PS3 yet obtain the same performance on a PC proccy.

And let me give you an example of how "Futureproof" Consoles are. The game Raw Vs SmackDown 2007 was released for a PS2 as well as a PS3. Have you seen the gameplay on a PS2 ? I have, and I can guarentee that the PS2 can't handle it full throttle. But an Emulator can.
You could haf point here :) Since I don't haf it personally I can't comment. A very valid point, if true :)

I'm sorry but thats a very LAME way of justifying things!!

PowerPC Emulatoin? See here: *pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

Its not hard to emulate powerPC arch. But that the arch. of those consoles are locked.

By the time it comes, I'm sure the present hardware would've been obsolete. The PS3 Cell proc. is an innovation! Its a very very very difficult task to emulate a PS3 yet obtain the same performance on a PC proccy.

You could haf point here :) Since I don't haf it personally I can't comment. A very valid point, if true :)
1. India hai. Kya kare ?
2. Those consoles have arch based on PowerPC. X360 has a direct PPC processor and PS3 a Mod of PPC. This means PS3 WILL be hard to emulate thanks to all those tweaks and the 8 core architecture.
3. Consoles aren't released that very often. And if you are saying "by the time that time comes..." then that means there will still be console games to play after exausting PC games. read my post. You have indirectly concluded that PC has longer life than console :lol:
4. Me and my cuz were having a match. One on One. I told him to increase the texture detail. Had a battle for 5 minutes. Then I decided to bring the console a bit closer. Did that and hand got burnt. 20 more minutes later, system hanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom