XBox 360 has shown serious probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadabra

Journeyman
One reasonable gamer says that "Between my friends and I, we bought 6 machines at the Zero Hour event. Of the 6, my machine has a dead hard drive, another machine is working but is rather flaky (seen some strange behavior - the drive may also be scratching discs, as my friend's copy of Condemned is now unplayably scratched, but we don't know if the drive caused it - the machine has also had problems booting games and being turned off...), one seems to be good, and I haven't heard yet about the status of the other three."

Is it time already for recall button to be pressed by Microsoft?

Blogs and forums around the world seem centered on one fellow's experience - a poster called "Jsgongwon" on the Xbox-Scene forums who included pictures of his crash, which apparently happened repeatedly during Project Gotham Racing 3. "So far haven't been able to play one track without crashing... also got this crashing on Xbox Live screen and on startup too..." he writes.

Another person reported thathis 360 "just turned off" during Perfect Dark Zero.

But that there are some systems experiencing real problems is not in doubt. Some of them overheated and crashed during Project Gotham Racing 3, though not as spectacularly as Jsgongwon's experience. Dan "Shoe" Hsu also reported that a very strange echo effect happened during Xbox Live play of Perfect Dark Zero - sometimes a word said over chat would endlessly repeat in a strange echo effect over and over in the headphones. Some kind of bizarre feedback loop?

Just how widespread is the scope of 360 problems, though? It's a little too early to call whether these problems are systemic or isolated bugs.

... CHECK OUT THESE PICS ...

*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65990154/
*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65990156/
*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65990158/
*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65990159/
*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65995966/
*www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65995967/
*forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=461074&st=0

picture courtesy of jsgongwon from *forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=462241

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Seriously.. what do u expect from microsoft :p

*wishes this world becomes microsoft-free*

oh btw before some one flames me.. i DON'T use any m$ product :p

Wait for a few months to let MS iron out problems with the box. It's too early to pass comments. I'd still prefer the box to the ps3 as it's closer to a PC in architecture. Heaps more options for hardware mods and tweaks.

Also, I don't understand these geeks who praise a product for 8 months before release, line up and buy on the first day of release, and then whinge about how crappy it is and how it didn't meet their expectations. Get a life you freaks. And, always wait sometime, test the waters before you jump in and buy.

Keith

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
with such a big amt of xbox360 units released , its no big deal that some units went bad, most probably due to some faulty hardware part . And the ppl who faced this prob will definitely get their xbox360 changed from MS support.

this can happen to any product , hardware malfunctions in some if the million units is inevitable. too early to speak of a recall.

some guy posted this on the forum link given by abracadabra above, and i find this absolutely true.
This happens at EVERY launch. There are always defective units, shit happens. In a perfect world, quality control would be 100%, guess what, this isn't a perfect world, shit happens.

but,some ppl enjoy cursing MS , this is how they feel happy . I personally will wait and see what happens next , its too early to comment.

Kniwor

Learner
this logic of yours actually does not make much sense... because seagate or WD or Maxtor produce much more HDD's than all Xbox 360's
AMD or INTEL produce many more processors....
MSI or ASUS produce lots more Motherboars...

and yet why is it always a problem woth M$....
their crappy policies and their crappy products....

Whatever u do or say.... u cannot justify their policies.... and they have been trouble ever since...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Kniwor said:
this logic of yours actually does not make much sense... because seagate or WD or Maxtor produce much more HDD's than all Xbox 360's

well , xbox360 is the most anticipated product of this year ,coz it covers a wide range of customers, fromm geeks to noobs , so every little news abt it whether its bad or good is going to be highlighted, so it dosen't mean that the other companies don't face such problems,
most companies face problems during product launch , your knowledge abt that depends that u got informed or not .so dont say that intel ,amd or any other big name never had such prob.

and fyi ,if u have read abt this news anywhere b4 posting here ,you wud know that in some cases malfunction of xbox 360 due to faulty hdd, and xbox360 has a samsung hdd ,
so a guy of ur kind shud blame samsung ,and throw away the samsung products u own rite now weather its monitor or a hdd or amouse , go ahed Mr. hater ...

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
Kniwor said:

Whatever u do or say.... u cannot justify their policies.... and they have been trouble ever since...

You must be misinformed if you think that these companies you mentioned are perfect. Seagate and WD both make HDDs that have problems, whether with individual drives or with entire product ranges. I use a Seagate HDD, and I really hate it. It hangs and makes weird noises all the time. Two other friends who have it have the same problems. WD has made products in the past that were total lemons. I remember that they had huge problem with their 10k drives when introduced.

And hasn't Intel issued recalls with its products? The P3 ones that didn't boot the first time they were started.

I don't recall particular instances for MSI or ASUS, but you can bet that they have had problems too, especially with new technologies being introduced.

Even the great Apple, which in my opinion is one of the better companies, had to recall iPods, due to major problems.

RAM manufacturers have to replace brand new individual items.

If you know anything about quality control, you will know that it is specified as a ratio of failed products to products shipped (1 part per thousand, or 1 part per million etc.).

XBOX 360 uses completely new and even experimental technology. The fabrication process has not been tweaked, and the short comings have not been found out. No matter how thoroughly you check a product in the lab, you can never catch problems which are only seen in the real world.
Why do you think that experts recommend waiting when a new product has been launched, whether in cars or computers. It is always advised that you wait for the next revision so that problems found can be ironed out. If you buy a new product as soon as it's out you are taking a risk.

XBOX 360 has been such a highly anticipated product that any short comings are going to blown out of proportion and spotlighted. All you people are pointing out the problems, ignoring the fact that the majority of user are not having a problem with their product. A few problems out of millions shipped is not so surprising.

And, people, Microsoft bashing went out of fashion a long time ago.

bala4digit

Journeyman
Nothig can stop many crazy gamers from buying these xbox360s ......even if there are probs they are gonna buy it....just like i pod nano problems were blown out of proportion!!!

BYE!!!

-MOJOJOJO-

Kniwor

Learner
@AlphaOmega,
@tarey_g

I never said these companiess are perfect........ no product is flawless...
but i dont think the Xbox problems have been overhyped
and what i was telling is these companies have much higher manufacture but lower defect rates.

but i dont understand u guys fascination for M$.
I've never liked it's policies....
and i dont intend an arguement here......
I dont have nothing to do with M$.....
So if u think it's the best company out there and it's products are worth go on and get them...
afterall u're not spending my money..

Have a nice day and let there be no flaming....

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@kniwor, i don't have any fascination for ms, i like their products as i do of other companies . but it is hard for me to find that why most ppl hate ms for no valid good reason .
ppl are using their products(for example windows) on a very large large scale , so obviously ms products are prime target of hackers/coders, so maximum damage can be done by their code . that's becoz we have all these spywares/virus attacks on windows os . if any other os was so popular as windows, this wud be the same problem it wud face .

i want to enjoy everything windows/mac xbox360/ps3 ati/nvidia coz there is no reason to hate the other , the only thing i hate are fanboyz.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
"We have received some isolated reports and calls of consoles not operating as expected. The call rate is well below what you'd expect of a consumer electronics product of this complexity."-- Molly O'Donnell, senior manager of global Xbox public relations.

As was the case in the days following the launch of the PSP, reports have begun to surface about problems with the Xbox 360 hardware. Some people complained of games freezing. Some complained of systems overheating. Some complained of hard drives not working. Some complained of disk drives that scratched games.

There is little doubt that some of these things happened. It's a new console launch, after all, and historically problems happen at console launches, especially when there's a shortage of systems and the manufacturer is rushing to deliver them to retail. It's as predictable as people getting robbed for new systems.

- www.GAMESPOT.com

Kniwor

Learner
@tarey_g
cm'on dont tell me something "Senior manager of Xbox said."

anyways... Microsoft does make good products.....
Actually it did make grat products in the past ("Win 95 was a revolution")

I agree to you that it's the prime target of all hackers(windows).... and hence i never said anything about windows..
It's a good product.... but i think because it is the company standarad right now microsoft it charging more than what it deserves...
and that's nothing pleasent....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Ok now since we are on the subject of launch problems for consoles, I wonder why no one bothered to point out the sort of problems Sony had with their US luanch of the PS2. Some wouldn't boot up, others froze, some overheated, etc. etc. And given the fact that the PS2 was released in Japan long before it did in the US, Sony had no excuse. And yeah, the launch titles were pathetic too. And like tarey posted, the PSP wasn't trouble free either.

This is not an argument for or against any company. When you lauch a new product such as a gaming console or a portable MP3 player or a computer or whatever, there are always bound to be hardware/software issues in the first batch. There's new technolgy or old technology implemented in new ways and so these things are not perfect at launch. If hundreds of thousands of people buy it and a few hundred report problems, it constitutes a very small ratio. And like MS said, they will repair/replace all faulty systems so I don't see any problems there.

I think it is stupid to go out and buy consoles on launch day. It makes sense to wait until initial problems have been sorted out to buy them. Let those freaks line up on launch day to get their copies of the consoles and then whine about problems. I think Keith echoes my sentiments here.

If you think that MS is overcharging, then maybe you should read this.

OP
A

abracadabra

Journeyman
prices have shot up like anything on xbox

if you guyz think microsoft made a mistake i think well not. people on ebay have gone on to sell their xbox 360 at twice or thrice the price they brought it and there are well huge people on the take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom