www.google.com ( . = ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
someone asked this very interesting question as what does . In www.google.com or anything stands for? I tried to find my answers but dint find. Any answers appreciated.

sakumar79

Technomancer
The dot is a seperator. First, the actual IP addresses are of the form x.x.x.x where each x is 0-255. Since it is difficult for us to remember numbers like this for various websites, they are mapped into names. These names such as www.google.com are mapped onto corresponding IP address by Domain Name Servers.

Arun

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
sakumar79 said:
The dot is a seperator. First, the actual IP addresses are of the form x.x.x.x where each x is 0-255. Since it is difficult for us to remember numbers like this for various websites, they are mapped into names. These names such as www.google.com are mapped onto corresponding IP address by Domain Name Servers.

Arun

Thanks for your reply. You explained the concept of dns rather than actual question. Sure it not as simple as a separator, the q was asked to my friend while being interviewed in satyam, so there must be something.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The dot don't stand for nothing. It's just a delimiter seperating the various parts of a domain name. A domain name, as you must've noticed is made of 3 parts: the world wide web (www) specifies that the site is in the Internet, the middle part is the name of the site and the last part is the top level domain.
And because it was asked in satyam don't change it's meaning. They were probably expecting the proper terms like TLD, subdomains, etc.

jay4u

In the zone
www - name of the service
. - delimiter ( a seperating mark)
google - domain name has to be unique
. - delimiter
com - super domain denoting the type of domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom