Writer goes faster but reading gets slower…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
As I burn 2 700 MB (*.dat) file as VCD using nero 6.3 in 52x & in 8x speed…… in time of copying the (*.dat) file into the hard disk both CDs take same time….. then where is the speed deference between 52x & 8x????? I suggest u do it ur self……..

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
two things,

52X is the speed at which the data is read from the CD drive directly. So there is no communication with the HDD in terms of file transfer at any point of time.

Second, the speed at which the data gets copied is not dependant on the CD but rather on your HDD. Unless you have a HDD configured in a RAID or in SCSI configs ur speed is limited to either 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM. Hence 52X or 8X the speeds to copy files from a CD to the HDD will remain the same as the speed is limited by the HDD not ur CD drive.

kl_ravi

Journeyman
.... and also making illegal copies of genuine CD's is also not recommended :wink: :twisted:

PS:- Ignore this if you are backing up your original disks :D

aadipa

Padawan
saurav_cheeta said:
As I burn 2 700 MB (*.dat) file as VCD using nero 6.3 in 52x & in 8x speed……
u are writing data to cd

saurav_cheeta said:
in time of copying the (*.dat) file into the hard disk both CDs take same time…..
here u are reading data from cd.

don't get confused that cd wrote faster will get read faster.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
copy files from a CD to the HDD will remain the same as the speed is limited by the HDD

don't get confused that cd wrote faster will get read faster.

then what is the benifit of buying a faster cd writer?? & how safe it is to burn in higher speed??[/quote]

AlienTech

In the zone
VCD is mode 2 raw data. Many cdrom's and writers slow down to read raw data mode just like when reading audio Cd's they default to 1x speed. New firmware usually fixes this. Now 52x speed just means the drive hits that speed usually somewhere near the end. They start off @ 16x or so. Drives are usually CAV IE the CD spins at a constant speed and the data read increases as the head gets near the end of the disk starting @ 16x and hitting 52x near the end. CLV where the CD changes speed to keep the data rate constant. Most DVD writers use Z-CLV where data is written at a constant speed while Cd's use CAV where data is written in ever increasing speeds.

So you need to get a different drive.. Some drives wont let you read raw data fast. Liteon drives generally lets you read at max rates. I see a 2 fold increase in read speeds between my dvd rom drive adn writer even though both are supposedly the same speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom