Write Protected USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavtek

Make a write Protected USB Drive

Today USB drive also known as keychain drive is becoming the most popular removable storage device to move data to different locations. USB drives are available in the market with different features, for example password protected, compatible with all windows versions and extra storage capacity (up to 65 GB).

A common security issue at organizations is how to prevent their workers to write data onto USB drives using their PCs, because a user can easily move confidential data for other location.

*www.imgx.org/files/12577_zzo0i/usb_write_protected.gif

If you have windows XP with SP2, then you can disable the writing option to USB drives.

Follow the given steps to disable the USB writing option:-
1. To edit the computer registry, first you should log onto your computer with administrative rights.
First click on Start button and type "Regedit" in Run option.

*www.imgx.org/files/12576_kkoej/regedit%29_usb.gif

2. Here locate the location to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Here in right side panel, click right to create a key with the name "StorageDevicePolicies".

*www.imgx.org/files/12573_6ojqw/creat_key.gif

3. Now in left side panel, select "StorageDevicePolicies" key, again right click to create new DWORD value then label it "WriteProtect".

*www.imgx.org/files/12575_gtbvk/dword_create.gif

4. Set its value to "1". But again enable this option set its values "0".

*www.imgx.org/files/12574_guka6/dword_1.gif

5. Now close the registry editor and restart your computer after any changes to go into effect.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Count Dracula

Journeyman
Keep it up,Vaibhav.Keep contributing and posting sensible things and you will be highly respected.And thankyou,it was very helpful.

OP
V

vaibhavtek

Thanks buddy for repling and appretiang my share with u.

Waiting for more comments from senior members as well as Fresh Stock members of this forum...!!!

redhat

Mad and Furious
Hey Vaibhav,
1) Thanks for learning to post the source:D
2) This info was usefull
3) Your title is wrong, this does not teach write-protecting a USB Drive, it shows how to prevent writing TO a USB Drive

yet another mistaken post. You told how to STOP people from writing to a pendrive ON the Computer. This hardly has any advantage, as the employers can't go and lock every single employee's computer only to realise that the employee can set it back.

A better methord will be to make the pendrive use an encrypted filesystem that needs either a password, or some critical system data thats unique to each system, to read/write data on it.

OP
V

vaibhavtek

Your title is wrong, this does not teach write-protecting a USB Drive, it shows how to prevent writing TO a USB Drive

Mods plz do the this.

This info was usefull

Thanks.

yet another mistaken post. You told how to STOP people from writing to a pendrive ON the Computer. This hardly has any advantage, as the employers can't go and lock every single employee's computer only to realise that the employee can set it back.

Correctly said this is the only disadvantage of this process.

A better methord will be to make the pendrive use an encrypted filesystem that needs either a password, or some critical system data thats unique to each system, to read/write data on it.

Can it be possible using any software or registry trick or anything.
If possible.
Plz make a tutorial.
I need that.

Hey Vaibhav,
Thanks for learning to post the source:D

correctly said :)) :)) ;)

Waiting for some more comments.

viruss

Atarangi Keeda
you made registry hack. but it will prevent PC from writing on USB...
but is it possible to make USB write protected as floppy?
As there are virus problems coming via USB

if you need to prevent access, try NTFS Encrypted partition. I am not sure how it works, but apparently only the OS install that creates this partition has ability to access this partition. Even a reinstall will make the drive unreadable.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude he has hasn't made this registry trick.

Anyways, there are pen drives which cannot be accessed until we enter a password. If you get those then it will be well and good. And also when you insert a pendrive, don't open it through the dialog box. I mean to say cancel that dialog box. Then have a scan. Open the drive after the scan.

---------------
if you need to prevent access, try NTFS Encrypted partition. I am not sure how it works, but apparently only the OS install that creates this partition has ability to access this partition. Even a reinstall will make the drive unreadable.
NTFS is not good for Flash drives as it is a journaling file system. It will wear out the flash chip and decrease its life. FAT and FAT32 are the best for them.

Last edited:
Dude he has hasn't made this registry trick.

Anyways, there are pen drives which cannot be accessed until we enter a password. If you get those then it will be well and good. And also when you insert a pendrive, don't open it through the dialog box. I mean to say cancel that dialog box. Then have a scan. Open the drive after the scan.

---------------

NTFS is not good for Flash drives as it is a journaling file system. It will wear out the flash chip and decrease its life. FAT and FAT32 are the best for them.
if you think FAT or FAT32 is the only solution for you, you must be from the '80s. Try the follosing pro setup if you need max security:

1. YAFFS2 file system as base

the world's best flash file system, and increases the life span of your pen drive a lot

2. eCryptFS file system running overhead

a cryptographic file system that can encrypt data on the fly while adding files.
this baby can offer maximum levels of reliable security for your data

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you think FAT or FAT32 is the only solution for you, you must be from the '80s. Try the follosing pro setup if you need max security:

1. YAFFS2 file system as base

the world's best flash file system, and increases the life span of your pen drive a lot

2. eCryptFS file system running overhead

a cryptographic file system that can encrypt data on the fly while adding files.
this baby can offer maximum levels of reliable security for your data
Who says that I think that FAT & FAT32 are the only solutions.....:rolleyes: I had meant if he wants full accessibility wherever he goes....

If he has to take his pen drive to his office, then he'll have to install 3rd party utilities for accessing his YAFFS2 file system.

I've just opposed you because you said him to use NTFS. NTFS is a journaling file system. So, it is going to write very frequently to the pen drive and thus will wear out flash.

OP
V

vaibhavtek

OMG!! Vaibav has put the source!!!! :shock:

Nividia stop pulling my leg.

U are in my messenger list as friend then why are u always against me in this forum...!!

Anyways did u like this tutorial....???

A floppy disk can be maked write-protected when the plastic tab at the top has been moved to reveal a "hole" in the disk.

But it can be still access if user do move the hole opposite.

I think is not possible using Registry Hack.

But still wait for VG > Vishal Gupta > Vis(hal Gup)ta > Mr. Regisrty
^^
He is very good in registry.

P.S. No one use floopy disk these day all use either a CD or USB drive.. :D

PraKs

Youngling
@infra_red_dude

Can anyone please post how to do in Truecrypt ?

I have USB & want people just to read the data.. Dont have hardware lock switch.. Please share..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@infra_red_dude

Can anyone please post how to do in Truecrypt ?

I have USB & want people just to read the data.. Dont have hardware lock switch.. Please share..
Not enuf time to post the whole thing first hand but I'm sure these will help:

1) Guide on official site: *www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial
2) Guide for use on Linux: *www.howtoforge.com/truecrypt_data_encryption
3) Another good step by step guide: *www.juand.ca/how-to-secure-your-usb-thumbdrive/

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Nividia stop pulling my leg.
U are in my messenger list as friend then why are u always against me in this forum...!!
There is no such thing that if someone is there in your messenger list, then they have to be your friend.:mad: Btw, it was you who added me into your messenger list not me.:mad:

Btw, stop posting the same lines in other threads where I've posted something against you:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom