Workstation+Server ?

I am planning to buy a workstationish server under 1 lakh, but I am sorta confused. Below are my requirements :

Processor : Xeon E3 or E5 series processor.
RAM : 4GB or 8 GB
Chipset : Intel C series, single socket is fine, if Dual socket is available, better.
GPU : None as of now.
Power Supply : Externally swappable.
Dual Ethernet controllers.

IMPORTANT : I also need something like HP iLO, as my thread title reads, I require a hybrid of server and workstation. Since I want to use my workstation for both development and deployment, offering SaaS on the same machine, I need it to be on grid 24x7x365.
I am not going for a custom machine since my project needs to be online from day 1, and I can't afford any down times(also, since the application itself is modular and will be running different instances of same problem, if my machine goes down, the whole network will be adversely affected). Personally, I prefer Dell and HP(HP, since I have used their servers before and totally love their iLO suite for remote management), but I am fine with Super Micro or Lenovo too.

Any suggestions ?

As asked in the post below : Questionnaire

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Workstation+Server. It will be running Amber, Discovery Studio, Mathmatica, Sybyl(hopefully) and custom applications. In future, they may run on there own virtual instances using Type 1 Hypervisor.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:1 Lakh, budget is negotiable to certain extent(+10K).

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows Server 2012 or SUSE

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 27" Dell Ultrasharp U2713H

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: PCIe SSD(@ 4x), Quadro K2000 (Components will be integrated by manufacturer after purchase, not me).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have, but this is going to be off the shelf machine.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Will buy it via University liaison or directly from OEM.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: All the specific requirement are at start.

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
[MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

also OP fill upthe questionnaire

I think you are better off with pre-built server for their better service and assistance. Try to communicate with HP guys again and make them understand your requirements. BTW if you need zero downtime wouldn't it be better to have a backup system available? Also, can you not user two separate systems - one as a server and other as workstation?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
as harshil said, you better ask hp guys again explaining your requirements,. under that budget, a xeon e5 is difficult to have.most probably these servers( i checked hp z230) will have xeon e3 1225 v3(4 cores without hyper threading, you may look for at-least 1230v3 which has hyper threading)

OP
S

Siddhartht

Void
[MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] , [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION], I tried to explain my situation to them, sadly their knowledge is limited to domain of CAD only. Buying two separate systems can be expensive, although I can use my Mac mini as a server, not sure if it is up for it though(but the solution itself is cost effective, as I need to buy only workstation in that case, but syncing a Linux/Windows PC with Mac for files is not so smooth with Samba, let alone syncing databases and other things, that I can say from my personal experience). As for backup, I am planning a mirrored image on Softlayer or Azure for redundancy.
Xeon E3 is completely fine, since real work will be done by GPU in most of the cases. I will ask a quote for Z230; sadly it doesn't have iLO, which I think is a big plus for HP servers for out of box management. Out of curiosity, how is Supermicro in general ?

Update : [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] , I went ahead with HPZ230 along with HP 2530 switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom