Workstation Build - 1L budget

lost.thunder

Broken In
Workstation Build - 1.2L budget

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Sketchup, 3Dsmax,GPU & CPU rendering

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Upper limit - 1.2L (incl taxes)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 250 GB SSD. No other HDD needed ATM.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Dual Monitor setup. 22". Full HD IPS Panel. As budget allows

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Zotac GTX 1070 Amp
Razer Deathadder Chroma Mouse + Mouse Pad
Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: March end or April mid

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: will buy from C2C@Nehru place. Open to buying online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
I am certain of the following items:

A) Amd Ryzen 1700x
B) Asus Prime x370 Pro Mobo
C) Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
D) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32 gb (2x16GB)
E) PSU - will borrow corsair 750hx from old rig. Need a new psu for old rig that has i7 950 and gtx 580

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -97K

AMD Ryzen R7 1700X -32000,
Asus Prime X370-Pro -13000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(8GBx4) 3000Mhz -20000,
Seasonic M12II 620w Evo -7000,
Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus -5000,
Corsair SPEC ALPHA -4000,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS -9000,
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7000.
TOTAL -97,000.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You have pretty much finalized, not a lot to suggest. You have comfortable budget to fit everything including PSU for your old rig.

OP
L

lost.thunder

Broken In
I went to Nehru place today. Visited cost to cost and Smc international. Had the following issues:

1. There is a shortage of motherboards for am4 in the market. I could only find gigabyte x370 (23k) and MSI 350 tomahawk (11.7k). I needed an x370 board that falls around 13k. need your help on finalising the brand and availability
2. I finalised Nzxt phantom 410, however, both cost to cost and Smc international told me they do not sell them. Any idea which vendor to buy from?
3. I am currently confused between 1700 vs 1700x. I plan to OC, so 1700 seems more lucrative cz of 5k price difference. Is it a good idea? Will the CPU remain stable overtime if I keep it at 4ghz? If it's life is impacted then maybe I should go for 1700x?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to Nehru place today. Visited cost to cost and Smc international. Had the following issues:

1. There is a shortage of motherboards for am4 in the market. I could only find gigabyte x370 (23k) and MSI 350 tomahawk (11.7k). I needed an x370 board that falls around 13k. need your help on finalising the brand and availability
2. I finalised Nzxt phantom 410, however, both cost to cost and Smc international told me they do not sell them. Any idea which vendor to buy from?
3. I am currently confused between 1700 vs 1700x. I plan to OC, so 1700 seems more lucrative cz of 5k price difference. Is it a good idea? Will the CPU remain stable overtime if I keep it at 4ghz? If it's life is impacted then maybe I should go for 1700x?

1. Motherboard availability is a problem. Apparently desi distributors thought Ryzen will underperform and didn't import enough motherboards.

2. You will never find NZXT in Nehru Place. You'll have to order online. SMC International only deals with Cooler Master cabinets.

3. No one can comment on longevity of the Ryzen 4 Ghz overclock at the moment because it has only been two weeks. Yes, some people have overclocked 1700 to 4.0 Ghz, but for how long they have those running? I'd say be safe and get 1700X, or don't take 1700 to 4.0 Ghz. 3.7 or 3.8 Ghz and < 1.4 V should be safe.

OP
L

lost.thunder

Broken In
1. Motherboard availability is a problem. Apparently desi distributors thought Ryzen will underperform and didn't import enough motherboards.

2. You will never find NZXT in Nehru Place. You'll have to order online. SMC International only deals with Cooler Master cabinets.

3. No one can comment on longevity of the Ryzen 4 Ghz overclock at the moment because it has only been two weeks. Yes, some people have overclocked 1700 to 4.0 Ghz, but for how long they have those running? I'd say be safe and get 1700X, or don't take 1700 to 4.0 Ghz. 3.7 or 3.8 Ghz and < 1.4 V should be safe.

1. Any idea on how Asus are doing with their MOBOs? I heard they slacked in BIOS updates vs Gigabyte for x370.
2. Currently, Primeagb.com seems to have a decent availability of boards. Are they a reliable seller? A little apprehensive since i live in Gurgaon. Cost to cost seems behind availability for now.
3. Is it prudent to order only cabinet + mobo from there or all desktop parts if price is better? Are there other similar reliable online sellers?
4. I am confused among 3 Mobo choices. (1) Asus Prime x370 (2) Gigabyte Gaming 5 (3) Asus Crosshair VI. Option #1 seems like a good budget option. Option #2 has a stable BIOS and benchmarks seem similar to Option #3. Option #3 has AM3 cooler support, good out of box OC options in BIOS.
5. Which one would be better - Samsung M.2 960 EVO 250 gb (13K) vs Samsung Sata 850 evo 250gb (7k)? Apart from budget, a little worry about temp issue with m.2 ssd. Performance is ofc better. Which is a better investment?
6. Will 2400Mhz RAM be better to buy if it will be OC'ed?

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Any idea on how Asus are doing with their MOBOs? I heard they slacked in BIOS updates vs Gigabyte for x370.
2. Currently, Primeagb.com seems to have a decent availability of boards. Are they a reliable seller? A little apprehensive since i live in Gurgaon. Cost to cost seems behind availability for now.
3. Is it prudent to order only cabinet + mobo from there or all desktop parts if price is better? Are there other similar reliable online sellers?
4. I am confused among 3 Mobo choices. (1) Asus Prime x370 (2) Gigabyte Gaming 5 (3) Asus Crosshair VI. Option #1 seems like a good budget option. Option #2 has a stable BIOS and benchmarks seem similar to Option #3. Option #3 has AM3 cooler support, good out of box OC options in BIOS.
5. Which one would be better - Samsung M.2 960 EVO 250 gb (13K) vs Samsung Sata 850 evo 250gb (7k)? Apart from budget, a little worry about temp issue with m.2 ssd. Performance is ofc better. Which is a better investment?
6. Will 2400Mhz RAM be better to buy if it will be OC'ed?
1. Asus is not doing good with their BIOS at the moment. They are concentrating only on Crosshair 6 Hero, which frankly needs a new revision. The X370 Prime hasn't even seen a BIOS upgrade in a month.

2. PrimeABGB are very reliable. Fun fact: Rocket Singh movie is based on PrimeABGB's owner's story.

3. Other reliable sellers are SMC International and MD Computers. You can buy whatever you want from these sellers.

4. Buy the Gigabyte one. Also, Asrock seems to have solid Ryzen motherboards. But I don't know how their service is in India.

5. Samsung 850 Evo saves you a good amount of ₹₹₹, and IMO it is the better investment. Rather get 512 GB 850 Evo if you are spending ₹13K.

6. Better the RAM, the better for Ryzen. Check compatibility on your motherboard spec page before buying.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
For the RAM, I'd suggest you go for the G.Skill 3200c16. People have managed to hit 3200Mhz with it. I have the Vengeance LPx, 2x16GB, it only manages 2666.

Top Bottom