Work + Minor Gaming PC. Budget: 20k-40k

Korrupt

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly Work.
Applications:
Virtualbox with upto 3 virtual machines running, 1 linux others windows 7 64bit.
Remote Desktop to se, several connections
Around 50-100 tabs open in 3 browsers(Opera, Chrome, firefox)
2-3 Excel Documents open at the same time. At certain times I'll open 1million rows Excel Documents.
Above applications are mostly running at the same time.
Others: Dropbox, WAMP, Evernote, Microsoft Office,Photoshop
Games: Mostly just Counterstrike 1.6. I MIGHT play COD, but I don't mind playing that on my laptop on which I've played it before.(Specs for laptop added at the bottom)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I should be able to pull to 50k maximum :/

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not at all.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64 bit.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have two 500 and 320GB HDDs. I'll buy another 1TB Harddisk for data backup.
I'm thinking: OS on 320GB, Pagefile and data on 500GB. Data backup on 1TB HDD.
I have an external 1TB HDD on which I keep movies etc. which I'll mirror with the above mentioned 1TB HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. 25-27". Resolution: I'm not sure. But I won't be doing much graphic designing so normal resolution is fine.
I currently have a 15" XPS L501X with 1920x1080 resolution and I think it is too much, I need to zoom in on most websites to be able to read without straining my eyes.
Preferably the monitor should be without speakers, though that's not a deal breaker.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet(I'm open to buying it however), Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers,

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before 1st April. I can get a backdated bill if required.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: A friend will be doing it. I can do the basic stuff but I've never assembled the minor things before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
I'll be buying locally from a friends contact.
I'm open to buying stuff online if I don't get it locally, or the friends contact can order them himself.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I currently have a dell XPS L501X, 6GB RAM, i7 Q740@1.73GHz CPU, with a 2GB nVidia GeForce GT 435M graphics card, and it handles my workload just fine.
And thanks ^_^

fx 8350 (11000)
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 (6900)
Corsair value select 8 GB x2 (6000)
Corsair GS500 (4000)
NZXT Gamma (2500)
MSI HD7750 (6300)
Dell s2440L 24" monitor (14000)

total: ~50000

OP
K

Korrupt

Broken In
fx 8350 (11000)
Corsair value select 8 GB x2 (6000)
Corsair GS500 (4000)
NZXT Gamma (2500)
MSI HD7750 (6300)
Dell s2440L 24" monitor (14000)

total: ~50000

Wow, awesome thanks! That's a pretty badass configuration.
I'd prefer if it was a little cheaper though, I'm 20 years old and paying for it myself completely. I'm also starting a company(NPO Charity) so don't wanna run out of cash for that..

How about these modifications?
Corsair value select 8 GB x2 (6000) 8GB RAM: -3000
NZXT Gamma (2500): Current/Cheaper/Local cabinet for now. -2500
MSI HD7750 - Cheaper graphics card, if possible. Gaming isn't a big requirement.
fx 8350 (11000) - AMD FX-8150(9300)

I will be using my laptop and desktop at the same time, but my warranty expires in November hence purchasing the PC too.

Monitor: I'm going to go to a shop and check out the monitor sizes to see their sizes.

P.S. I talked to the friend earlier(before posting the thread) and he mentioned a i5 configuration, what do you guys think about an i5 instead of AMD FX? I'll go with your choice and am just curious about why AMD is better.

^+1 . Thats the only word.
Wt abt DVD Writer , UPS and a 1 TB HDD too.
Sorry, missed them.

OP: can you compromise on monitor size? I mean a good 22" LED monitor costs ~8500 and a 24" monitor will come for ~14000. 6k for 2" is not at all okay. So can you do with a 22" FHD monitor?

fx 8350 (11000)
Corsair value select 8 GB (3000)
Corsair GS500 (4000)
NZXT Gamma (2500)
HD6450 (2600)
Dell st2240L 22" LED IPS monitor (8500) considering you can go with it
Asus optical drive (1000)
WD blue 1 TB HDD (~3800)
APC 1 kVA UPS (~3.2k?) not sure about the price.

total: 46000

@op: Please reply about the monitor.

Wow, awesome thanks! That's a pretty badass configuration.
I'd prefer if it was a little cheaper though, I'm 20 years old and paying for it myself completely. I'm also starting a company(NPO Charity) so don't wanna run out of cash for that..

How about these modifications?
Corsair value select 8 GB x2 (6000) 8GB RAM: -3000
NZXT Gamma (2500): Current/Cheaper/Local cabinet for now. -2500
MSI HD7750 - Cheaper graphics card, if possible. Gaming isn't a big requirement.
fx 8350 (11000) - AMD FX-8150(9300)

I will be using my laptop and desktop at the same time, but my warranty expires in November hence purchasing the PC too.

Monitor: I'm going to go to a shop and check out the monitor sizes to see their sizes.

P.S. I talked to the friend earlier(before posting the thread) and he mentioned a i5 configuration, what do you guys think about an i5 instead of AMD FX? I'll go with your choice and am just curious about why AMD is better.

> Did some corrections, check them out.

> Reduced ram to 8 GB instead of 16 GB.

> Never compromise on a cabinet and PSU.

> Lowered down to HD6450

> stay with fx 8350. It's considerably better than 8150.

> AMD is the best chip under 15k for multithreaded works, highly multitasking and all sorts of heavy badass stuffs. Techniquilly, it has higher number of cores, larger cache, higher clock rate, can be overclocked to increase performance.

OP
K

Korrupt

Broken In
Thanks, the corrections look good. I just went to the local dealer(friend of my friends) and he'll get back to me with the final prices tomorrow.

I read the thread about not compromising about the PSU and you're right, I'm going to get the PSU you recommend. The cabinet was the only thing I questioned. I already have a old desktop which I upgraded 3-4 years back so that cabinet might work.

Can I ask how much difference there is in the graphics card? With the configuration you recommended, can I play COD Black Ops?

AMD - cool. AMD it is.

Yeah the 8350 is better than the 8150 for sure, but will the extra power be useful?
I checked here: PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs
Search for: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
I currently have: Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
I'm just curious about this because a cpu with a benchmark of 3254 handles my load quite easily(<10% usage), and FX 8350 has a benchmark of 9156

The monitor - I do a lot of data analysis and hence wanted a bigger monitor. The 15" one is unworkable.
I went to a lot of shops but no one had anything bigger than a 18" for me to see. I'll go take a look at some more places tomorrow. By the end of the year I'll also need to switch to two screens so that's a factor as well.
But I don't think 22" is going to cut it. I deal with a lot of graphs and charts and all.
EDIT: Or maybe I should get another 22" inch monitor later, it'll cost 3k more than a single 24" one and provide me a lot more space

P.S. Just talked to a friend, he said he can show me a 26" screen tomorrow.
I also sent the configuration to a couple of places and will get the local quote tomorrow

EDIT2:
Hey harsh, I just saw another thread you posted in:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/171786-30k-development-rig.html
and saw the alternative i5+Gigabyte B75M DH3 combo. How does it differentiate from the one you recommended for me?

And RAM can I get G.Skill ripjaws or sniper?

Last edited:
Thanks, the corrections look good. I just went to the local dealer(friend of my friends) and he'll get back to me with the final prices tomorrow.

I read the thread about not compromising about the PSU and you're right, I'm going to get the PSU you recommend. The cabinet was the only thing I questioned. I already have a old desktop which I upgraded 3-4 years back so that cabinet might work.

Can I ask how much difference there is in the graphics card? With the configuration you recommended, can I play COD Black Ops?

AMD - cool. AMD it is.

Yeah the 8350 is better than the 8150 for sure, but will the extra power be useful?
I checked here: PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs
Search for: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core
I currently have: Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73GHz
I'm just curious about this because a cpu with a benchmark of 3254 handles my load quite easily(<10% usage), and FX 8350 has a benchmark of 9156

The monitor - I do a lot of data analysis and hence wanted a bigger monitor. The 15" one is unworkable.
I went to a lot of shops but no one had anything bigger than a 18" for me to see. I'll go take a look at some more places tomorrow. By the end of the year I'll also need to switch to two screens so that's a factor as well.
But I don't think 22" is going to cut it. I deal with a lot of graphs and charts and all.
EDIT: Or maybe I should get another 22" inch monitor later, it'll cost 3k more than a single 24" one and provide me a lot more space

P.S. Just talked to a friend, he said he can show me a 26" screen tomorrow.
I also sent the configuration to a couple of places and will get the local quote tomorrow

> If your current cabinet is large enough, then okay. But if its an iball or Zebronic box, then I seriously recommend you to change it and get the NZXT Gamma.

> With HD6450, you may be able to play games but at low resolution and low settings. A graphic card is necessary i the config as FX 8350 does not have any internal graphics.

> FX 8350 is a beast of processor when ir comes to multithreaded work. Threads and FX 8350 are made for each other :p In several benchmarks, the 8350 comes very very close to the i7 3770k which costs double the price of 8350!

> I didn't get it. Are you okay with a 22" LED IPS panel (dell st2240l) or do you need something bigger necessarily?

> If you plan to get another monitor later, then you should definitely get a 22" monitor and add another one later.

OP
K

Korrupt

Broken In
Cabinet - it's certainly big. I got a big one specifically last time for upgrades.

FX8350 - Okay, cool. Sounds like great VFM.

I'm okay with 22" LED IPS Panel. I will confirm it tomorrow after checking out the sizes in person. I've never worked on anything bigger than 15" so far so I can't really say without looking.

I edited my post after you commented it, can you please clear that up too?

EDIT2:
Hey harsh, I just saw another thread you posted in:
30k Development Rig
and saw the alternative i5+Gigabyte B75M DH3 combo. How does it differentiate from the one you recommended for me?

And RAM can I get G.Skill ripjaws or sniper?

I will get an external DVD writer. I'm ok with the 22" monitor. Any better options for a graphics card?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Since OP is not going to overclock the Processor, he can opt for the normal Asus M5A97 R.20 model and save 1K. For Monitor, AOC does have an IPS panel based 21.5" Display, available around 7.8 to 8K. Check for that too as it will decrease your budget.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Since DELL is available at almost the same price. It is better to go with Dell.
I heard some bad reviews abt AOC from my friends.

Cabinet - it's certainly big. I got a big one specifically last time for upgrades.

FX8350 - Okay, cool. Sounds like great VFM.

I'm okay with 22" LED IPS Panel. I will confirm it tomorrow after checking out the sizes in person. I've never worked on anything bigger than 15" so far so I can't really say without looking.

I edited my post after you commented it, can you please clear that up too?

I will get an external DVD writer. I'm ok with the 22" monitor. Any better options for a graphics card?

> My name is Harshil Sharma, not Harsh.

> If your cabinet is big, go ahead.

> I'm glad you asked the question about my previous post. Questions like these help me realize the impact of post people here make.
In that thread, the person wanted to build a pc for his/her office and was budget restricted. the config including fx 8350 was going a little over the budget, so I suggested an Intel config which came exactly in the budget. No other reason.

OP
K

Korrupt

Broken In
Since OP is not going to overclock the Processor, he can opt for the normal Asus M5A97 R.20 model and save 1K. For Monitor, AOC does have an IPS panel based 21.5" Display, available around 7.8 to 8K. Check for that too as it will decrease your budget.
Great, that's the motherboard then.
I haven't been able to look at monitors because of the holi break, but I will be able to go see them tomorrow.

> My name is Harshil Sharma, not Harsh.

> If your cabinet is big, go ahead.

> I'm glad you asked the question about my previous post. Questions like these help me realize the impact of post people here make.
In that thread, the person wanted to build a pc for his/her office and was budget restricted. the config including fx 8350 was going a little over the budget, so I suggested an Intel config which came exactly in the budget. No other reason.

Ah cool, thanks.

I talked to a guy yesterday and he recommended a Numeric UPS. He has an APC one as well and he said it has some issues.
And he also recommended a Coolermaster PSU, what do you think? They have any good ones?

As for the graphics card, I'll go with something more powerful than HD6450, probably a MSI HD7750 as you suggested before.

Where can I buy these parts online?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Numeric UPS is also good, you can go whichever is cheaper. But Cooler Master PSU, please stay away from it.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Dont ever go wid the Cooler Master PSUs. Go and the PSU blacklist thread and you will come to know why.
Go with Corsair

Great, that's the motherboard then.
I haven't been able to look at monitors because of the holi break, but I will be able to go see them tomorrow.

Ah cool, thanks.

I talked to a guy yesterday and he recommended a Numeric UPS. He has an APC one as well and he said it has some issues.
And he also recommended a Coolermaster PSU, what do you think? They have any good ones?

As for the graphics card, I'll go with something more powerful than HD6450, probably a MSI HD7750 as you suggested before.

Where can I buy these parts online?

> Get the APC ups, they are rock solid.

> Stay away from CM PSU. Get corsair one.

> HD7750 will be good.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Workstation without a UPS ?:shock:?

APC 1.1KVA costs around RS.5200( you can consider Numeric 1KVA ~ Rs. 3000+-, but i'll say go for APC for legendary onsite service)
go with 2 x 22" monitors. Buy one now get the other when you have money.

get the FX8350 based system it's made for multithreaded applications.

Workstation without a UPS ?:shock:?

APC 1.1KVA costs around RS.5200( you can consider Numeric 1KVA ~ Rs. 3000+-, but i'll say go for APC for legendary onsite service)
go with 2 x 22" monitors. Buy one now get the other when you have money.

get the FX8350 based system it's made for multithreaded applications.
I think you didn't read the whole thread. All those things you are saying have already been talked about.

Top Bottom