Work/Gaming PC for 65k

akhilc47

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Casual gaming, some of the new titles like Tomb Raider, Hitman, but I mostly play League of Legends. I'll be running some virtual machine setup which I think is somewhat CPU+RAM hungry

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 65k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes. I'd like to see some "K" cpu config options.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Just an SSD 128/256GB will do.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Need a FHD 22-24" monitor. Please suggest a pretty good one as I watch a lot of movies/videos and stuff.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No need of HDD (Magnetic)/ speakers/ Keyboard and mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month at max.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I'll be building this.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Living at bangalore. Please suggest any good local shop. Open to both online/local whichever is cheaper.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I was thinking of going with the following config

i5 6600k
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4
z710 motherboard?
GTX960
Seasonic s12ii 520W

GTX970 seems out of budget and overkill for my 1080p gaming. So I went for 6600k and 16Gigs RAM. Will any older generation CPU be better than 6600k, say 3770k?

What do you guys think??... Thanks for reading!!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 67.5k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Xeon E3 1246 v3
MotherboardMSI H97M-G43
MemoryCorsair Vengeance 16GB(8GBx2) 1600Mhz
Graphics CardZotac GTX960 4GB DDR5
SSDSamsung 850 Evo 120GB4,500
CabinetCorsair SPEC-013,500
MonitorDell S2216H 22" LED IPS9,000
Total67,500

Since you already have Seasonic S12II 520w PSU in your present build so re-use it.
All component prices in the table are based on Golchhait.com which is in Opp:Amar Radio Corporation, SP Road, Bangalore. You could also visit Ashirwad Computers in SP Road itself for better prices. Okay.

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
You could try to cut down on expensive motherboard, try to find cheaper one that can overclock.
And you need 16gb ram, running on 8gb the machine will crawl after a week of Virtualization.

And yeah i7 or xeon is better when you run virtual machines all day. HyperThreading works great for Virtual setups

i5 is flat out bad for heavy multi-tasking, when you have VMs running in the background.

If you buy i7 it can get expensive. Xeon no overclocking.
Are you really sure you want to overclock a work machine which you expect to run 24x7 reliably ? this is a bad idea.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You could try to cut down on expensive motherboard, try to find cheaper one that can overclock.
And you need 16gb ram, running on 8gb the machine will crawl after a week of Virtualization.

And yeah i7 or xeon is better when you run virtual machines all day. HyperThreading works great for Virtual setups

i5 is flat out bad for heavy multi-tasking, when you have VMs running in the background.

If you buy i7 it can get expensive. Xeon no overclocking.
Are you really sure you want to overclock a work machine which you expect to run 24x7 reliably ? this is a bad idea.

Yes, For running VM's & heavy multi-tasking Xeon processor is best and OP needs to sacrifice Overclocking for getting an all round machine. So changed the table accordingly.
Going for a Overclocked i7 will drastically increase the budget along with a Z series Mobo & compatible high frequency RAM.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Let me see if I got this right

i5 not great for multitasking/VMs
i7 expensive but can overclock and multitask/VM
xeon can multitask/VM but not overclock

1. Can xeon easily handle 1080p gaming? I just know that it's more of a server kind of CPU. And I won't be running VMs 24x7, just couple of hours whenever required.

2. Another doubt is, Can this xeon run without GPU, ie does it have some sort of integrated graphics? This is important since it's easier to troubleshoot or work when my primary GPU is down.

3. Apart from motherboard, other components are compatible with this CPU? I mean does it have to be ECC type memory? or will it support normal memory as well. The 16GB u mentioned is DDR3 right?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Let me see if I got this right

i5 not great for multitasking/VMs
i7 expensive but can overclock and multitask/VM
xeon can multitask/VM but not overclock

1. Can xeon easily handle 1080p gaming? I just know that it's more of a server kind of CPU. And I won't be running VMs 24x7, just couple of hours whenever required.

2. Another doubt is, Can this xeon run without GPU, ie does it have some sort of integrated graphics? This is important since it's easier to troubleshoot or work when my primary GPU is down.

3. Apart from motherboard, other components are compatible with this CPU? I mean does it have to be ECC type memory? or will it support normal memory as well. The 16GB u mentioned is DDR3 right?

1. Xeon easily can handle 1080p gaming as it is just an non-k i7 Processor.

2. E3 Xeon 1246 v3 has an inbuilt iGPU. Check Here:Intel Xeon Processor E3-1246 v3 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz) Specification

3. Yes all other components are compatible with each other in this build. No ECC type memory not required as any type of gaming memory is compatible with the specified motherboard. Yes 16GB mentioned memory is DDR3.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
And how about going with a lower priced xeon with GTX970? Or do you think GTX960 will be good enough for 1080p with high settings?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
And how about going with a lower priced xeon with GTX970? Or do you think GTX960 will be good enough for 1080p with high settings?

Yes you can go with Intel Xeon 1231 v3 @ 17k so that you can accommodate Zotac GTX 970 4GB @ 24k but the this Xeon 1231 v3 does not have an inbuilt iGPU.Check Here:Intel Xeon Processor E3-1231 v3 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz) Specification GTX970 is overkill for 1080p but it will with stand 3 more years of gaming. So more future proof than GTX 960.

Budget - 70k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Xeon E3 1231 v317,000
MotherboardMSI H97M-G437,000
MemoryCorsair Vengeance 16GB(8GBx2) 1600Mhz5,000
Graphics CardZotac GTX970 4GB DDR524,000
SSDSamsung 850 Evo 120GB4,500
CabinetCorsair SPEC-013,500
MonitorDell S2216H 22" LED IPS9,000
Total70,000

Since you already have Seasonic S12II 520w PSU in your present build so re-use it.
All component prices in the table are based on Golchhait.com which is in Opp:Amar Radio Corporation, SP Road, Bangalore. You could also visit Ashirwad Computers in SP Road itself for better prices. Okay.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Thanks a lot... Could you also suggest a good motherboard for both i5 6500 and i5 6600k? I just wanna keep my options open

Top Bottom