WinXp Pro trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
Hi, I am facing a strange problem with my winXp pro installation. for some time now, whenever i try to show the hidden folders and/or system files by tools--->folder options----> view and setting to show the hidden folders and system files .....the system turns to the default settings automatically and my preference does not get saved. I ran full scan with Avast home and spybot s&d but no threat detected even with the latest definitions.Please help me overcome the problem.do i need to reinstall windows?

Buddy you dont have any virus in your system, but probably you had that popular USB device virus previously, and one of the many things it does is disabling this hidden file option. I dont know the solution for it, so i guess you ask users like anand who are MVPs. they must have some info on registry setting that need to be cured. Sorry! And dont reinstall in a hurry! First try if you get some answers.

OP
D

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
Thanks buddy, i will try to find out if there's any solution out there by visiting spacialized forums.....

narangz

Web developer
Go to registry editor by typing regedit in the run box.
Go to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1.

Now you’re all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect.

See, thats what i said. The setting that narangz is telling about is same, what is changed by the Folder Options dialog. Doing it by hand will have no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom