WinXp installation problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marulez

Broken In
Hi, i know it's a old story "xp installation problem" but i am having it right now. I have windows xp installed in my desktop, which file system is NTFS. My desktop is pentium 4 and has 1gb memory.Now i am trying to do the fresh installation so that i can get rid of old O/S(i.e xp). I have winxp cd but it's not bootable. So, i made a bootable cd from nero 7. and tried to boot it. After i booted, i tried to install the winxp by going on I386/winnt but it did not work, coz it said it could not load swap file. So, i downloaded smartdrv.exe and booted from the cd. After booting from cd, i tried to load smartdrv but it did not work. It said it has some error in himem.sys or could not load himem.sys something like that in config.sys. I tried to open config.sys but it said insufficient memory. I am having this error, is it because i am trying to load smartdrv in NTFS file system or is there something else that i am doing wrong. My floppy drive is broken and i can't use the floppy disk. So, could you guys suggest me how to install fresh xp in my desktop?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
OK...I guess you have unboatable image/Cd of windows XP and U want to install Windows XP with that.Here is how you can do:

1)Download BOOTCD from here
*freepctech.com/files/xpbootcd.zip

2)Uncompress the CD,you will find a ISO file.Burn that IS file (that is bootable)..using Nero or may be anyother.

3)Boot with the Cd you created just now.

4)You will find some options..select the first one.

5)now swith to ur Cd drive in the installation

6)There do some work..like selecting the drive,formating(as usual windows installation).

7)Execute a utility called hdsetup so all the basic system files are transferred to the C: drive. This will make C: bootable and make the CDROM recognizable from the start.

8 )Reboot ur computer....log in BIOS..and change first boot device as HARD DISK.

9)Insert the Windows XP installation CD and right click on Cd drive and select OPEN.

10)Navigate to here Go to directory D:\i386, then type “winnt” to launch the install.(I suppose your D:/ drive is ur CD ROM drive)

11)And finally ur windows XP is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.