WinXP Home Edition - Welcome Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
Just got a comp with WinXP Home Edition installed. I need to get Administrator account in the Welcome screen and remove Guest login from Welcome screen.... How can I do it?

Do Note:
1. I have Tweak UI but there is no option for admin and guest accounts in the list of welcome screen entries. This was available in WinXP Prof. Ed.
2. I need Guest account to be enabled for LAN access but dont want to have direct login access to be provided to that account...

Thanks in advance
Arun

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Do it from
Control Panel -> User Accounts if the account you've logged in from has administrative privilages.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^ Control Panel->User Accounts does not have any setting for showing/hiding user in Welcome Screen...

Arun

mehulved

From there you can disable guest user, you cannot show the administrator's account though. By the above method you can remove guest account from login screen by disabling it.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open regedit and nevigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

If the key doesnt exist, then create it and then in Right-side pane create/modify DWORD value Administrator and set its value to 1.

mehulved

Vishal he doesn't want to see administrator account forever, he just wants to remove guest account forever.
Anyway good tip. Looks like you meddle around with windows a lot?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx buddy!

But he want both the things, enable Admin account and disable guest account in Welcome screen:

sakumar79 said:
Hi,
Just got a comp with WinXP Home Edition installed. I need to get Administrator account in the Welcome screen and remove Guest login from Welcome screen.... How can I do it?

mehulved

Hmm sorry my mistake. BTW don't u consider it a bad security practise? We linux users are always told time and again to keep away from root account. It should be enforced in windows too considering the amount of security risks on the rise.

Tech&ME

Banned
tech_your_future said:
Hmm sorry my mistake. BTW don't u consider it a bad security practise? We linux users are always told time and again to keep away from root account. It should be enforced in windows too considering the amount of security risks on the rise.

I agree with you on this.

Besides, Microsoft itself recommends NOT to use the Adminstrator or the Account with Administrator previlages to use while surfing the internet.

Microsoft feels its a good practice to use the Limited Account for surfing the Internet.

NOTE: If you visit Microsoft.com you will get tips like the above from Microsoft Community members.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Please note there are 4 user accounts for various reasons on the computer:
a. Administrator
b. Arun (ie, myself)
c. ES
d. Guest

Administrator account and Arun account have administrative priviledges. ES account has Limited User priviledges. Guest account has guest priviledges...

Point 1: I have a personalized administrative account for when I need to do admin work...
Point 2: I need to have an administrator account available for when external maintenance staff need to check stuff...
Point 3: Regular usage is under ES account. Surfing also is done in ES account only...
Point 4: Guest account is to allow people on LAN to access the system...

MAIN POINT: I am not talking about enabling or disabling the accounts. I am talking about showing/hiding them from the Welcome Screen.

I want to have Guest account enabled but not shown in welcome screen (logging into this account is only through network)

I want to have Administrator account shown in welcome screen. This I can do without because I just will have to create a secondary admin account named ADMIN or ROOT and give maintenance staff that account to work with...

Finally, Vishal, thanks for the regedit info. Will try it on Monday and get back to you if it works... BTW, if I add the value "Guest" and set it to 0, will it hide the Guest account from coming on the welcome screen?

Arun

Tech&ME

Banned
Vishal Gupta said:
@Tech&ME

Can u puleaseeeee give the URL of that community? :wink:

I never heard about Microsoft community/Forum......

So hear it now, here is the link. Enjoy!

*www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

Besides its on there Home page itself , wonder how you didn't see it.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx for the link!

Its bcoz I never visit Microsoft Homepage, everything I need is available in many other sites, u can understand what I mean :wink:

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
OK, I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList and set up Administrator as 1 and Guest as 0. Guest account no longer appears on welcome screen, but Admin is still not coming up... As I mentioned earlier, I am working around this by creating an extra admin account...

Thanks anyway for all your help and especially to Vishal...

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom