Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I m using the Original XP Home Edition with the system with which it was
bundled so It doesn't need activation even if I format my HDD :D

But If I upgrade my whole system does it also work in the new system
I mean 2 say do I have 2 again activate it or not....:confused:

legolas

Padawan
even if you format it, to my knowledge, it requires activation.
I don't think XP OS comes for specific hardware. So, it should not ask for activation due to change in hardware. But, if you have the windows XP home edition CD & key, you shouldn't have problems?

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

even if you format it, to my knowledge, it requires activation.

No.....I m using & Formatting XP for abt 4 years & it never asked me 4
activation:D

I don't think XP OS comes for specific hardware. So, it should not ask for activation due to change in hardware.
Dats y I opened this thread :D

But, if you have the windows XP home edition CD & key, you shouldn't have problems?

I have CD but dont have CD Key & I dont need it bcoz it never
asked me 4 a CD KEY while installing....:p

legolas

Padawan
^ ^ exactly my point. I think then what you use is a pre-activated version of windows Home, which unfortunately doesn't come from MS. It just is not possible for XP to not ask for activation after formatting!! you don't have the key, but you have the CD??? You must be kidding me... You don't have the original version which comes along with the 25 digit key written on the back of the cover??
As for your question, i am not sure, but I would assume it shouldn't ask for activation, only because, i think your system is already activated, how ever it may be. (wait, well that makes me think, changing the hardware should ask for activation)... I am confused!!

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^ ^ exactly my point. I think then what you use is a pre-activated version of windows Home, which unfortunately doesn't come from MS. It just is not possible for XP to not ask for activation after formatting!!
As for your question, it shouldn't ask. you can upgrade.

It is genuine XP dude & what do u mean by "pre-activated version" do u mean 2 say dat MS has pre-activated in the CD itself..........:D:eek:

Btw I got my answer if I change my whole system then It will remind me of
activation (a msg balloon pops under taskbar saying dat "activate within 30days"):cool:

legolas

Padawan
duh.... so what? anyway, i don't want to have this discussion here. I hope you have yourself answered your question that it will need an activation in the event of change of hardware. so, yes, you will need the product key to activate or contact ms customer care and ask them how is that you have the cd but no product key!! you are the first I have ever seen in about 12 years.

clmlbx

Technomancer
yes, it (os) can be genuine. oem version do not need activation...and about the key..........it never asks him to enter the key means his copy of windows is customized............ means serial is pre entered in setup.......... so it may be legal ..............to confirm it tell your brand (like dell ,hp)of pc...if it is branded then it may be genuine .....otherwise not........

and about the topic ............if you upgrade your system it might not need to activate it.......... becoz your system will be pre activated as it is oem version.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
btw, your OEM XP , e.g. supplied with HP, is customized for a particular h/w:p

it wont work(wont install) when you upgrade the h/w (assuming its the motherboard you're changing).

you'll have to buy a new copy of XP:p, as many have said OEM XP keys dont work with non-OEM copies:p:p

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^^ I too have oem copy .......and I have upgraded my system (mb,proxy,ram)with no problems.......and yes even I don't need to activate my os. using perfectly...........

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
hmmm

what brand is yours?

mines HP Pavilion, which had ASUS 915g m/b, & HP came with 2 set DVD.

i upgraded the m/b to 965wh, tried the HP supplied XP Home, it gave some error (forgot:oops:) & exited the install process.

reason that OEM XP didnt install - coz the onboard gfx. & audio h/w are completely diff.
this 965wh m/b has gma x3000 & Sigmatel audio; & that hp m/b had gma 900 & Realtek audio.

clmlbx

Technomancer
WAS HP..............

full system changed ....................now assembeled...........

then upgraded motherboard,proxy and ram

the simple solution to confirm before buying try installing from that disk to any of your friends computer..........I guess even on vmware will do but on different computer (on your friend's pc).......

Last edited:

aadipa

Padawan
You can find out CD-Key used for installtion by using Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder.

Also if you can customized Windows XP installation disk, chances are that it is pre-activated for perticular hardware (mostly motherboard).

In such case, Product key is kept in answer file so you are not prompted fo rthe same. Just check for \i386\winnt.sif on installtion disk. Open that file in text editor like notepad. And search for 'ProductKey'. Your 25 char product key is written there.

clmlbx

Technomancer
if we buy branded pc ..........and os is included in it so don't we pay for os too so we use it on any hardware rather then on a specific hardware........

so on worst cond. he has activate it using key and online activation system.....

am I missing something ..................

@ karanth85 and best is before buying try installing from that disk to any of your friends computer..........I guess even on vmware will do but on different computer (on your friend's pc).......

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

yes, it (os) can be genuine. oem version do not need activation...and about the key..........it never asks him to enter the key means his copy of windows is customized............ means serial is pre entered in setup.......... so it may be legal ..............to confirm it tell your brand (like dell ,hp)of pc...if it is branded then it may be genuine .....otherwise not........

Ya U r ryt...........& I've seen the CD-Key using Tweak-XP but never entered it myself :rolleyes:

But when I installed it in my frnd PC(pentium III) it reminded him of activation so it detected the change in h/w

but when I checked in my system using "oobe/msoobe /a" it always
shows "Already Activated"....

I think it detects my mobo id or somethin like dat....:smile:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
XP OEM PCs use a SLM for activation in a similar way where Vista OEM pc's use SLIC for activation. This information is present in the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom