Status
Not open for further replies.

fallenfromgrace

Right off the assembly line
hi
this is my problem any one who can help pls help.
me and my pal created a self uniting archive using gsplit. when it is assembled it is a winrar 2.x archive and we sealed it off using a password. the archive contains a lot of wallpapers and some digital photos. we kind of dont remember the password. is there any way other than cracking to recover the password???????
is there any possibility that we can open it some program and reveal the password????
can we use a hex editor to get the password or vb or something like that. someone told me that i should open it in vb and remove the special characters and that will remove the password. i already tried that it doesnt open in vb.

pls some one help. i posted this a while ago and no replies so i am reposting it again.
fallenfromgrace

ferrarif50

Journeyman
THe soultion is use commercially available archive password crackers. The problem is it really needs an ultra fast computer. The softwares may show the time required to crack the password anywhere b/w 3 months to a year or so. Moreover, if the password is complex and contain alphanumeric and special characters, u need atleast a year to crack them. When i tried to crack a 5 letter alphabets only password of my zip archive using Advanced Zip Password recoverer, it showed me that it requiers 90 days.

U see? It is not realistic and moreover, these softwares generally are not free.

Using hex editors may end up corrupting the archive.

If you r ready to run ur computer for months continously, then may be worth trying some of these tools.

GameAddict

In the zone
A non-techie approach ;-)

HI,

As ferrarif50 said, it may take ages to crack the password.With zip archives the app can throw thousands and even lacs of passwords/minute, but rar archives allow a few thousand max. and ace archives even less.

What you and your friend can do, 'recreate' the environment in which you created the archive and backtrack to all the steps you followed to come up with the password, like at that time what you were discussing, the time, the color of walls, the taste of canteen food ;)... anything. you got the idea, I guess?

The above way has helped me 2 times, so I think it will help you too! :)

Bye!

GA

aadipa

Padawan
If that is only for wallpapers,better download them again and dump the RAR. It is not worth running a brute force programs only for getting back wallpapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom