windows xp reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Dear Friends,

i need to reinstall my windows xp. The problem is that i have windows 2003 in my d:/ drive, If i format my c: drive and reinstall windows xp then windows 2003 will not boot. Is there a way to reinstall windows xp without affecting windows 2003.

Regards,
B.Shivaranjan

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Install XP and then after complete nstallation, boot into Win 2003 install disk and FIXBOOT and FIXMBR in repair section of the boot cd...

OP
S

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
Install XP and then after complete nstallation, boot into Win 2003 install disk and FIXBOOT and FIXMBR in repair section of the boot cd...

i donot have a bootable disk of windows 2003 it is my hard disk. how to make that into bootable disk?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@shivaranjan.b

do u have the ISO of windows server 2003?? then just burn in useing nero a image burning...

or try this...

Creating bootable Windows 2000/XP/2003 Disc (Nero 6)

& for ur 1st question take a look at this...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
try this too

Add a line to ur boot.ini file of XP

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2003 Server" /fastdetect

Thats one line...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@QwertyManiac

dude try to read the posts more carefully... that shivaranjan.b guy asked how to cr8 a bootable disk... thats what i replyed...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I m tellin an alternate way and no offence dude ...
If u r talkin bout reportin , i repoted coz u got 2 posts accidently...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
shivaranjan.b said:
Dear Friends,

i need to reinstall my windows xp. The problem is that i have windows 2003 in my d:/ drive, If i format my c: drive and reinstall windows xp then windows 2003 will not boot. Is there a way to reinstall windows xp without affecting windows 2003.

Regards,
B.Shivaranjan

No need to do anything! Just boot from the XP CD and do a format from the setup itself. The setup will automatically detect and install the correct line into the boot.ini file. So win 2003 will still remain bootable!

OP
S

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
kalpik said:
No need to do anything! Just boot from the XP CD and do a format from the setup itself. The setup will automatically detect and install the correct line into the boot.ini file. So win 2003 will still remain bootable!

I have now reinstalled xp. i copied the old boot ini file and put it again, now the windows 2003 refuses to boot. how can i boot into it?

OP
S

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
kalpik said:

I have now reinstalled xp. i copied the old boot ini file and put it again, now the windows 2003 refuses to boot. how can i boot into it?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There was no need to replace Boot.ini file with the old one...
Now u can boot from XP bootable CD and choose option to repair the windows, it'll automatically correct the problem...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
U should not have replaced the old boot.ini. Windows does what is required itself!

OP
S

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
saurav_cheeta said:
why dont u check this out??

I tried to the repair console of win 2003 and when i was about to exceute the fixmbr command it warned me that all my partition detail will be lost. If i do fixmbr will it remove my partition table from the harddisk and will i lose all my data?

OP
S

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Hi guys i have solved the problem. What i did was i booted using win 2003 and went for an fresh install, when the system files were copied i removed the cd. In the boot menu i selected win 2003 (previously installed) and it started booting. In windows 2003 i removed windows 2003 setup from boot.ini and deleted the copied files. And now my pc is working fine.

Thank you guys for your timely help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom