Windows software on a Mac. W00t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)
Now, this is just plain incredible. I installed a software called Crossover which allows you to run Windows software directly on Mac OS X without paying for and installing Windows. When I had installed it, I had tested it using Opera and Tally. Opera had worked and Tally hadn't.
Recently, I started getting 'Unregistered torrent' errors for some of the torrents I wished to download. I searched for a solution and the only one seemed to be that I had to use µTorrent, which does not have a Mac version.
I had forgotten that I had Crossover so I was dejected till now. Today I suddenly remembered about Crossover and still thought that it wouldn't work because it wasn't in the list of Crossover's supported applications and seems to be a complex thing because it involves having a forwarded port and a lot of uploading and downloading to and from the internet. I decided to give it a whirl anyway.
I downloaded and ran the EXE file. It did not respond for about a minute and I thought it wouldn't work. Then suddenly, µTorrent showed up (in all of its ugly glory, being a Windows application) and I started two downloads and they successfully started downloading.
YAY!!!! I am so incredibly happy that I had to have a let-out. I thought it might be useful information for the tech geeks out here, so I posted it here. Sorry if it was unwarranted and not required.
Here is a screenshot for those that are interested:

*img83.imageshack.us/img83/4449/torrentonamacym8.th.png

Isn't this freakin' awesome? I am sincerely in love with my Mac, if such a thing is possible. YAYAYA! W00t!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Isnt Crossover a paid software? Hmm.. If you didnt know.. there is Crossover Office for linux too, but its paid.. But WINE is another emulator which is free :D And you can run most windows apps on linux too :D

If you already knew, im sorry :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, Crossover is paid software.
Yes, I know there is Crossover Office for Linux and that is also paid. Both are from the same company, of course.
Yes, WINE is great but Crossword is better IMHO. Mainly because it has an easier interface.
There is a similar, open-source, free project for Mac OS X too and the name is Darwin. It is at present in pre-alpha stage. I plan to give it a whirl when it reaches beta stage. :)

Thanks a lot to tech_mastermind for the generous rep! :)

I am sorry if this thread is useless and isn't contributing to the forum in any way. It was just a spur-of-the-moment post. I was very excited that I could run µTorrent so successfully without having to install Windows XPee.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I did not have to forward the port or anything. I just instructed the Firewall to allow traffic through that port. How I did that won't help you though because I am using Mac OS X and you are using Windows Vista. It was very simple though. :)
I am using BSNL DataOne 900UL.
No router. It is a wired connection. I am using BSNL's supplied modem.

mediator said:
What's the average speed ur getting on utorrent?
Since the torrent I am downloading only has one seed, it is not surprising that I am getting very low speeds of about 1-5 KB/s. But I am pretty sure it is not restricted in any way. :)

mediator

Technomancer
hmmmmm. Thats the problem torrents dld speed doesn't increase fast like in limewire! I have the same problem with ktorrent!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Why are you not using Tomato Torrent? It's the most incredible piece of software, and it's coded by an Indian. :p

eddie

El mooooo
ktorrent reaches to peak speed within 2-3 seconds on my system (touch wood :p ). Have you configured your port settings etc. properly?

mediator

Technomancer
Well, earlier when I had simple D-Link router provided by Mtnl, i cudn't even connect or port forward (may a faulty router) for torrent. Now, when I have setup a Wi-router in between, I'm able to connect. I Dunno how! But it gives me speed like 6KBps on a single seed. So I' m confused regarding this torrent thing. If I port forward on my main router it might not help.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mail2and said:
Why are you not using Tomato Torrent? It's the most incredible piece of software, and it's coded by an Indian. :p
I have tried it once in the past. I tried to download two torrents but both failed to start. And I've been told that µTorrent is the only client that can download unregistered torrents. :(

goobimama

 Macboy
For mac I like the Xtorrent app. It looks good and isn't that much of a resource hog. Plus it has features like live info on the dock, etc.

But otherwise all these port forwardings are pretty simple. I've installed Little Snitch app, which monitors all the outbound connections (mainly to check those apps from phoning home). Just gives me an option to Allow or Block (with various other options). Very simple.

As for crossover, which version are you using? I haven't personally tried it yet.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I use Xtorrent too but it cannot download unregistered torrents. Xtorrent has a beautiful cocoa interface. :)

I've installed Little Snitch too to prevent some applications from phoning home.

I am using Crossover Version 6.0.0b3a. It is in beta at present but works well, as do most beta software.

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
Well, earlier when I had simple D-Link router provided by Mtnl, i cudn't even connect or port forward (may a faulty router) for torrent. Now, when I have setup a Wi-router in between, I'm able to connect. I Dunno how! But it gives me speed like 6KBps on a single seed. So I' m confused regarding this torrent thing. If I port forward on my main router it might not help.
You should go to some site like *whatsmyip.org/ports/ and test whether the port you are putting in ktorrent is open or not. If it is closed, you need to forward it in your router.

mediator

Technomancer
It says "Timeout" in all the ports commonly used by P2P. Ktorrent used "6881" => "TIMEOUT"! But I can dld around @6KBps. hehe!

invisiblerohit

Right off the assembly line
aryayush said:
Hello! :)
Now, this is just plain incredible. I installed a software called Crossover which allows you to run Windows software directly on Mac OS X without

are u using a C2D based mac or power pc...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
aryayush said:
I have tried it once in the past. I tried to download two torrents but both failed to start. And I've been told that µTorrent is the only client that can download unregistered torrents. :(

Unregistered torrents? I download stuff from demonoid, mininova etc without any problem.

Azureus is the most feature rich client.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Some torrents from MovieX.info forums, AdmitONE releases, show this 'Unregistered torrent' problem.

invisiblerohit, I have a 17-inch Core Duo (2.16 GHz) MacBook Pro. :)
Do you have a Mac too?

*img83.imageshack.us/img83/1787/torrentspeedgl5.th.png :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom