Windows software on a Mac. W00t!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
It says "Timeout" in all the ports commonly used by P2P. Ktorrent used "6881" => "TIMEOUT"! But I can dld around @6KBps. hehe!
That 6KBps is because of you making outgoing connections. To get incoming P2P connections working, you HAVE to have open ports. You need to open ports in your router and use those ports in your P2P programs like KTorrent. Until you do that...you can't expect to get good speeds in torrent applications.

mediator

Technomancer
Nope! See the downloaded section, average speed, dld speed
*img400.imageshack.us/img400/8938/screenshot10gu7.th.png

invisiblerohit

Right off the assembly line
aryayush said:
Some torrents from MovieX.info forums, AdmitONE releases, show this 'Unregistered torrent' problem.

invisiblerohit, I have a 17-inch Core Duo (2.16 GHz) MacBook Pro. :)
Do you have a Mac too?

yes, i too am a mac freek n i own a ibook. my baby is a year old now. i was lookin at options to get it connected to the reliance netconnect. but, as the drivers for the DKU 5 cable is not available i thot probably using some virtual os software i should be able use it...

goobimama

 Macboy
My local apple guys made that reliance internet thing to work. Don't know how they have done it, but I could sure ask them if you want...

invisiblerohit

Right off the assembly line
hey thanx...
please do ask them..i hav a ibook g4. n i have a reliance phone wwhich is a nokia 3105..
i tried these guyz here but, they just plainly said not chance.. the way out is probably if u generate a script for the modem and the connecting cable..

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
Nope! See the downloaded section, average speed, dld speed
My dear friend..that is what I am saying. Your download speed is an indication that your ports are blocked and you yourself mentioned that the results from whatismyip came as "Timed out". Until you open ports in your router...your speed cannot improve.

mediator

Technomancer
^But then, How am I able to download if the ports r blocked? :confused: I shudn't be getting any dld speed at all if corresponding port was blocked!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Nope.. torrents dont work that way.. If your ports are blocked, others cant connect to you.. And if you cannot upload, your download speed is limited automatically..

mediator

Technomancer
^^I know that. Actually I can upload n download both. But the speed is low and I can't port forward thru my main router for some obscure reasons!

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
^But then, How am I able to download if the ports r blocked? :confused: I shudn't be getting any dld speed at all if corresponding port was blocked!
You are able to download because your torrent client is initiating outgoing connections and downloading through those connections. None of the other peers are able to initiate connection to your system. Until that happens...you'll not see increase in speed because you are invisible to everyone out there.

Understand it like this...you are like an invisible person in a group of people...they are all sharing things with each other but will not give you anything until they see you. You can reach everyone and take something but there is a limit to how many people you reach and thus a limit to the amount of "stuff" you get. I hope it is clearer now :)

kalpik

Hmm.. Well if you trust me ( :D ) enable remote administration from your router and gimme your IP address.. Ill try and forward ports for you :)

mediator

Technomancer
eddie said:
You are able to download because your torrent client is initiating outgoing connections and downloading through those connections. None of the other peers are able to initiate connection to your system. Until that happens...you'll not see increase in speed because you are invisible to everyone out there.

Understand it like this...you are like an invisible person in a group of people...they are all sharing things with each other but will not give you anything until they see you. You can reach everyone and take something but there is a limit to how many people you reach and thus a limit to the amount of "stuff" you get. I hope it is clearer now :)
I understand. But I find it hard to accept that both outgoing n incoming packets r travelling from same port coz its against the fundamentals of Networks coz that will certainly coz a lotta congestion and collision of the packets! Also, if that was the case then why was I not able to download when I didn't have a Wi-router connected in between my main router and PC? Something is very fishy! :D

@kalpik : forwarding port is of no use. I guess my main router is faulty in that regard!

eddie

El mooooo
mediator said:
...when I didn't have a Wi-router connected in between my main router and PC?
Your main router would have been causing problems then and as far as I know outgoing connections don't need any ports open on your system (I could be wrong as I have very limited knowledge in this regards). Its just the incoming connections that need a particular port open for proper function. I don't have any ports open, yet I can surf internet without problems. I don't need an open port 21 or 80 to perform outgoing FTP or HTTP connections.

kalpik

^^ Exactly.. Only incoming ports are blocked by router.. ALL outgoing ports are open by default.. You can restrict outgoing ports by installing firewall software :)

mediator

Technomancer
eddie said:
Your main router would have been causing problems then and as far as I know outgoing connections don't need any ports open on your system (I could be wrong as I have very limited knowledge in this regards). Its just the incoming connections that need a particular port open for proper function. I don't have any ports open, yet I can surf internet without problems. I don't need an open port 21 or 80 to perform outgoing FTP or HTTP connections.
I know. But its strange! Neways, outgoing connections r to initiate control connections. Incoming data is on a different port (if I remember well) called ephemeral port. U can't surf the net if u don't have any of the ports open. For proper function, u need to have both outgoing port(server port) and incoming port(client port) open. And thats right u don't really need 21 or 80 for ftp and http connections, but they r the standard ports set by ICANN (If i remember well). Ports r as important as IP addresses.
I'll try to get my main router replaced by mtnl after my exams and then I'll try to port forward on my main router. Neways, thanx for showing concerns! :)

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Hey fellows go to *www.portforward.com & check out ur modem or router & they have given how to allow the ports...Its very easy just try it out...And after allowing ports in my BSNL modem,I have been getting speeds of 30-32 KBps speed for my 256 kbps connection...It feels so gud that now I dont have to turn on my comp for weeks together for a download to complete

P.S.----The above site has also given how to configure software firewalls too..Also with that they have given how to configure particular softwares too..Just try it out & all ur forwarding worries will be over!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom