Windows Phone 8 Unveiled: Hot New Features

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I remember M$ saying something about app compatibility and user experience when asked about if WP7.5 will get updated to WP8. I think it was when Lumia 900 got launched. I said then no update even for 900.

Microsoft is completely changing the kernel core... from WinCE to WinNT... They want good apps and games support, and make it easier for developers to reuse their code... Also, native C and C++ support, which is really awesome...

IMO, the new WP8 will go x86 Intel Medfield processors instead of ARM...

WP7 phones cannot be upgraded to WP8. Its too big a leap...

is there a minimum size one can resize the apps to? I think this should be limited depending on screen resolution as well as screen size else one may end up with 20-30 icons on a 3.7" screen and totally unusable.

Live tiles will be resizable in 3 sizes... Small, Standard and Double... How many live tiles you can fit horizontally could depend on the screen resolution...

So Tango will be WP7.8? End of road for Lumia 710/800 Omnia W & HTC Radar. I am sure HTC is pissed and Samsung is smiling.

Surely, HTC will be pissed... all their investment down the drain... and WP7 buyers will be really angry... mainly because they will never get the App support WP8 would get...

Why Sony is not in the list? :(

Sony will never make WP8 phones because XBox Live is in direct competition with Sony's Playstation platform. Don't want to use a competitor's feature. WP8 is not open, so Sony cannot swap XBox Live for its own Playstation platform... So, Sony will stick to Android... ;)

So, MicroSD card support! Finally.

Now, just a gazillion other shortcomings to sort out! :D

But I hope we can use the card to store files directly from our PC's without Zune. That would alone be called coming of a Windows Phone, a long way. :?

Still want to see how good it is... Current WP7 Notification system is not good... Multitasking is not good... Lets see how good it all could be...

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Impressed with WP8 development. Perfect time to sell iPad & iPhone. Also sad to see that not even a single WP will get WP8 update. WP fragmentation story starts here. :) This month is awesome. Apple, MS & Google announcing huge plans moving forward. This is called competition driven innovation. Big win for end users.

But now what's the guarantee that WP8 device with get WP OS9 update? This is where Apple excels.

WP8 phones will get WP 8.5 for sure and it should get WP9 too as now it has NT kernel.*just a hunch*

and about WP 7 users not getting WP 8 .. Well they are getting 7.8 which will have the features of WP8 that the CE kernel can support. So it's good enough, instead of being left out in the cold.

I don't see WP7 users missing much. When they bought into WP7 they knew what they were getting into so 7.8 is good enough.

It's better than iphone 3gs getting ios 5 and slowing down to a crawl, at least 7.8 will be optimized for current Windows Phone and they wont loose out on any performance

btw, start screen is what most people love about WP, i guess it's your opinion

Surely, HTC will be pissed... all their investment down the drain... and WP7 buyers will be really angry... mainly because they will never get the App support WP8 would get...

I dont see reason to be pissed, microsoft is updating HD7 a 2 year old phone, So HTC should be happy
and about the people who bought the radar , it's still getting 7.8 , it's better than many android phones, which never get an update

I dont understand why people are making such a hoo-haa about app support.
WP8 will be out before christmas.... so right now development wont stop cuz wp7 apps work in wp8

once wp8 is out , game engines and stuff like that which need native code will be codded for WP8 only but the developers are not stupid. They know that most of the userbase is WP7 so they will code apps for WP7 which will also work in WP8. It will be more convenient for them.

But, post 2013 , in 2014 when WP8 userbase will for sure be greater than wp 7 then there might be issues.

There are developers who support android 2.1 because 7% of their user base is still on it ... so i dont see this as a big issue

noob

Cyborg Agent
@SSK : you missed the most important point here

It was a choice not to support WP7/WP7.5 devices in Windows Phone 8. There was no technical barriers making it impossible. :) MS ****ed up another quarter for Nokia

ssk_the_gr8

Another thing is that Msoft needs to learn is to market lies like Apple.

they should have named in wp7.8 as wp 8 CE or something. marketers would be happy, stupid consumers would be happy. And like apple says that your phone gets ios5 but these features wont run because older phones dont have advanced hardware, Msoft should have done the same.

Msoft marketing guys need to learn. No point being honest.

noob

Cyborg Agent
I don't see WP7 users missing much. When they bought into WP7 they knew what they were getting into so 7.8 is good enough.

I brought Lumia 800 because i knew hardware was capable of running WP8 OS.

It's better than iphone 3gs getting ios 5 and slowing down to a crawl, at least 7.8 will be optimized for current Windows Phone and they wont loose out on any performance
just count the difference between number of years when 3GS and iOS5 was launched and same for Lumia 800/900 and WP8. This sucks.

ssk_the_gr8

@SSK : you missed the most important point here

Msoft must have told nokia before lumia launch that WP8 wont support it. WP8 is not in development for 6 months, it's been in development for more than a year, Nokia are not fools.

true it was a choice and they made the choice with WP 7.8.

WP8 was built for multicore and they didnt want to optimize/leave features etc. to support single core cpus and older gen gpus.

Getting WP8 would be the best case scenario but 7.8 is good enough, that too for 2 year old phones. They could have given everyone wp8 but i guess they didnt want to invest.

And like I said about the apple marketing strategy, Msoft were stupid to not use it

I brought Lumia 800 because i knew hardware was capable of running WP8 OS.

and where was it mentioned that it was capable of WP8?

ssk_the_gr8

Its common sense, 1.4 ghz single core CPU certainly IS capable of running WP8 OS

well its not so common
They are trying to run w8 nt kernel on arm and they decided it needed dual core at least
If it was an upgraded CE kernel you could have argued

noob

Cyborg Agent
well its not so common
They are trying to run w8 nt kernel on arm and they decided it needed dual core at least
If it was an upgraded CE kernel you could have argued

Or they might have done it purposely. It will be proved once we see single core WP8 in market :)

ssk_the_gr8

Or they might have done it purposely. It will be proved once we see single core WP8 in market :)

if they did it on purpose, you wont see a single core(current generation arm cpu - e.g.- Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 APQ8055) WP8 . Msoft will get crucified if it does this.

Empirial

Youngling
Eagerly waiting for something like Nokia Lumia 1000 with 720p AMOLED Display, 12MP Camera & Dual Core/Quad Core Processor ;)

noob

Cyborg Agent
I want to see faces of WP fanboys now who bragged that WP OS will never need dual/quad core CPU's like Android xD

Last edited:
V

V.VAIDYA

Is it true that due to the NT core it will support upto 64 core processor, and does it corrects some flaws like bluetooth file transfer , etc
Now is it comparable to ics because it is based on a desktop kernel with phone UX just my guess..
I am very exited and followed the live blog till midnight.. he ...he...

kisame

King of Heroes
No, Siri app is used to send your voice data to Apple servers, where its processed and and sent back to you, all the hard work is done by the Apple servers, your iPhone does not have to do much sh1t. So the hhardware thing is stupid, it similar to what many Android apps do , and thesse apps easily run on chepo low end Androids.

Not even apple servers have to do much.All work is done by Wolfram-Alpha.

ankit360

Journeyman
big disappointment with WP 7.8 is they can't run WP8 Apps that mean my Omni W get EOL in Q1 2013 :twisted:

Lumia 900 user r worst effected customers :evil:

Top Bottom