Windows installation and Visual Studio Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Hello friends
I would like to know if it is saft to install Windows 98 on a system running on Windows XP.

Also I would like to know if Windows XP supports Visual Studio 6 or not. Because when I run a form containing any options from components such as a web control, or a form containing any text fields with password charactes, I get a message saying that VB has encountered an error it has to stop.So please help me out.
*img86.imageshack.us/img86/1670/vberror8no.jpg

puja399

In the zone
I am running Visual studio 6 on WinXP without any issue since last 2 years. Did u install the service packs??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
you can install Win 98 on computer containing Win XP as long as they're in separate partitions. AFAIK, Win XP supports VB6, I had installed it and had no problems with it. Maybe VB 6 wasn't installed properly , try installing it again. Or maybe your medium maybe corrupt.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Have you installed Visual Studio.net on the same drive? I have heard that if VB.net and VB 6 are installed on same drive it can cause problems.

OP
deepak.krishnan

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Hi friends,
I had lookedinto wut you all had advised but to no result. I have tried reinstalling Visual Studio 6 fro the 6th time and still I did not get any result out of it. I heard from a friend that VS needs a file to run which is present only in Windows 98.Is that true?

Pooja didi I think you might have upgraded your OS from windows 98 to windows XP because while upgrading Windows keeps the files which are amongst sharing ones.
I installed XP on my formatted computer as a new installation.So can you suggest any other fixes for the problem?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There should be no problem in installing and using VS6 on XP.

I hv also used it in my XP w/o ne problem!

The only thing which I can suggest u is, u can try to install Java Virtual Machine (which u can find in \IE4\MSJAVX86.EXE).

May be it can solve ur problem!

ghemant

Broken In
Hi,
we have one system in our network with Win98 and VB6 more than 3 years and their's no prob running VB6 and VS .NET to gether on same system ,same partion,same os ...but you must ensure that you have installed all the current patches and sps

OP
deepak.krishnan

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Thanks for those tips.But I did not understand wut the Java Virtual Machne has to do with VS 6.Can you please tell me?
Also I would like to inform that I had both XP and windows 98 before I formatted my computer.Then VS 6 was running smoothly.But when I formatted it it stopped working even after constant reinstallations.
I think installing Windows 98 in my present system with XP.Is it? I think it wont cause any problems.

So please help me...........

ghemant

Broken In
Hi,
as said above it wont create any problem Windows 98 and Windows XP could be their on the same system and can be on same partition , it wont hurt . well JVM create Virtual Environment to run porogramms that requires Java Liberaries .
would u elabroate few more :

What is Drive formated with .?
if your windows 98 is formated with FAT32 and if your Windows XP is formated with NTFS then your Windows 98 will not see Windows XP Partition.

Regards

raval_manoj

Broken In
VB6 Problem

Install Visual Studio6 service pack 5 or 6 and then try.
If you are using VC++ also then install Service Pack 6 otherwise go for
service pack 5. I hope this'll help you.

Visual Studio6 Service Pack 5 was on PCQuest CD of APRIL 2003. And also
available at microsoft site for download, but difficult to get on slow connection
because of huge size.

I'm also using Visual Studio (VB6 only) on WinXP since last more than one year,
without any problem.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah one more thing, set the compatibility setting in the vb/vs setup to windows nt 4.0. it should install widout a hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom