Windows Genuine Advantage Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajas

In the zone
I have seen many of the forum ppl having the issue with WGA failing (saying you have a pirated version of Windows XP).
On April 25th, a new version of WGA (Windows Genuine Activation) engine was released, which will overwrite the previous files, and provide a more powerful function for system validation. If the new WGA engine could not be installed, it was most likely caused by one of the following factors:

1. A permissions problem with certain registry keys WGA uses.
2. The permission settings in the System Files are inappropriate &/or the Time & Date on the system are incorrect.
3. The previous WGA engine is corrupted.
4. Incorrect Time & Date on the system
Let us take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1: Reset Time & Date on the system to ensure the correct time/date/time zone then see if you can use Windows Update

===================

Step 2: Use the WGA diagnostic tool
===================
1. Please open Internet Explorer and visit the following link to download the WGA Diagnostic Tool:

*go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. Save the WGADiag2.exe file to the Desktop, and then double click on the file to run the tool.

After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and see if the issue is resolved.

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any the third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or Web accelerators (Programs associated to boost up the Speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

However, if the issue persists, we can refer to the next step.

Step 3: Reset permissions
===================
This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take us some time, your patience is highly appreciated.

1. Please click the link below and download the tool.

*www.ecs-safe.com/Reset_subinacl.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Save the attachment to your Desktop.
3. Right click the Reset_subinacl.ZIP file and choose Extract
4. Follow the instructions and there will be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe)
5. Double click the reset.cmd file
6. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
(NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted that "Finished, press any key to continue")

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the WGA tool again. If it still cannot be installed, let's move on to the steps below to manually install it.

Step 4: Install the WGA engine manually
===========================
1. Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link and then save it to the Desktop.

*go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

Open the downloaded cab file and we will find the following two files:

LegitCheckControl.dll
LegitCheckControl.inf

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "%windir%\system32" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.dll files into the opened system32 folder.

3. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "REGSVR32 LegitCheckControl.dll" (without the quotations) and press Enter. We will see a popup message stating this process succeeded.

4. Click "Start", click "Run", type: "inf" (without quotations) and press Enter. Copy the LegitCheckControl.inf file into the opened inf folder.

5. Right click on the copied LegitCheckControl.inf file in the inf folder, and then choose Install. The WGA engine will be installed automatically.

Step 4 is very critical..dont miss the step. (This is a working solution for the WGA Failing issue)

Regards,
Raj.

T

thunderbird.117

Blah. I never care to update the windows. I dont care about exploits in my com. I dont even care who hacks in to my comp either. Well they will be wasting time if they do that.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
how ever we didnt have any issue regarding this with our all system... AutoUpdate is on and working fine as its expected...

lol.. as few of my frnds says that they has Genuinlly pirated copy of XP... they also doesnt face any problem... whats the point of making a tool as such which puts or own customer in problem.. while Genuinlly pirated copy of XP works fine... lol...

mukul

Journeyman
guys .... recently MS launched their 2nd engine for validation....
i was previously reported havin a pirated version.........
but this new engine bypassed me givin clean chit........ =))

anandk

Distinguished Member
this wga notificatiob has attracted now even a 2nd lawsuit
Microsoft WGA Attracts Copycat Worm and Second Lawsuit
"Security researchers have identified a worm virus masked to appear as Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy program, while end users have filed a second lawsuit against the software giant's use of the actual program..."
*www.thechannelinsider.com/article/...Copycat+Worm+and+Second+Lawsuit/182535_1.aspx

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I also hv a Pirated XP but sum tweaks has made my XP Legal to MS..lol :D

EDIT: Not many care abt their OS being legal or pirated, coz after all, MS Oses are not tat stable as compared to Linux.. ;)

Cheers n e-peace....

T

thunderbird.117

I heard there is OGA Office Genuine Advantage too.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
thunderbird.117 said:
Blah. I never care to update the windows. I dont care about exploits in my com. I dont even care who hacks in to my comp either. Well they will be wasting time if they do that.

Same here!!

dreams

Gracias Senor
The issue iam facing is i d/l WMP 11 and culdnt install cos it says the XP is not a orig one..

tried several WGA but nothin worked.. will try to go with this and wil revert bac whether iam able to install WMP11

Has anybody hv installed WMP 11 ??

TIA

T

thunderbird.117

dreams said:
The issue iam facing is i d/l WMP 11 and culdnt install cos it says the XP is not a orig one..

tried several WGA but nothin worked.. will try to go with this and wil revert bac whether iam able to install WMP11

Has anybody hv installed WMP 11 ??

TIA

Why dont you throw WMP 11 in dustbin and get a good old winamp, VLC and foobar. This tools are much better than WMP 11.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
people say that WMP 11 needs Genuine windows... but as i have seen thoug IE beta needs that but WMP 11 gets install without any problem to any pirated windows... :(

T

thunderbird.117

saurav_cheeta said:
people say that WMP 11 needs Genuine windows... but as i have seen thoug IE beta needs that but WMP 11 gets install without any problem to any pirated windows... :(

I think every microsoft products will have some sort of Genuine advantage program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom