Windows File Protection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
I have a P-4, 40 GB HDD, 256 MB DDR config. running on Win 98 & WinXP SP2. My windows XP is giving an error message

"Wndows File Protection Error.
Files required to run windows properly are replaced by other files. Please insert Windows XP SP2 to restore the original files......."

After inserting windows CD, msg disaapears & then I m asked to restart. After restarting, as I select Windows XP OS, nothing aapears on screen (not even a boot screen). I tried to install fresh copy of win Xp again formatting that partition but after some time I got the same msg.
After that error, if i tried to restart, after restarting, as I select Windows XP OS, nothing aapears, as I told.
I googled for solution, & then use Windows Spyware Beta to scan my system but I didn't get ne solution.

OP
n2casey

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
I m using two OS, Win98 & WinXP.
I have already tried Last Known Good Configuration & Safe Mode but nothing happens.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U said that when u select Win XP, nothing appears. Afaik, it happens when ntoskrnl.exe file got corrupted or u replace it with another file having different version number.

So I think, that when u install windows, after some time automatic updates install some updates, which change ur ntoskrnl.exe file. And when u get the WFP ERROR and insert the CD, then the existing ntoskrnl.exe file get replaced with the CD one. So after restarting version conflict occurs and u can't boot in XP.

Now my suggestion is this, keep a backup of the ntoskrnl.exe file when WFP error again comes, and after restarting, if u face the same problem, then try to replace the Windows ntoskrnl.exe file with the backed up one!

Or when the WFP error comes, simply click on Cancel, it'll not appear again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom