Windows eating away space!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
i just downloaded the win vista RC1 ....now before installing it the size of the windows forlder in the root drive was 2.3 GB...now when i tried installing vista from windows it kept hanging at the cd key screen (did this 5-6 times)..then i tried installing it after bootin it from the DVD(burned the doenloaded image to DVD) everything went good ..vista intalled ..used..deleted...older windows back on track...but the sixe of the windows Xp folder is now 7.5GB!!!!!.....why the solid inflation..????....another thing i observed was that when i right click on the windows folder and see the size in properties it shows it to be 7.5 GB (its increasing day by day)..but when i go inside the folder and then select all files (hidden also) the total size comes out to be only 2.3 GB...i have tried disk cleanup but that also does not help....smbdy hlp..plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
1st of all usual Stuff !!

Check the PC for Virus and Spyware... :p

Did u delete all files which is on the temp folder ?? check that !!

then i tried installing it after bootin it from the DVD(burned the doenloaded image to DVD) everything went good ..vista intalled ..used..deleted...older windows back on track...

pls explain this stape... what exactly u have done?? Where did u put the vista ?? new pertition ?? or on top of XP ?? or Upgreaded the XP?? and then how u switched to XP?? Reinstalled it over the Vista Installation or just formated the Vista partition?? so pls explain...

one more thing... some time in Windows XP system restore is by default turned on... that may be eating up the Space... do check that too... :p

OP
Ambar

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
i had created a new primary partition using partition magic 8 ......size=18 GB......
i had nnot touched the virtual memory settings...and the system is clean of any viruses ot spywares....i had installed vista after booting from the DVD....coz the installtion was hanging in windows at the cd key screen..and yes the temp folder is empty

anandk

Distinguished Member
i think the problem has been created due to partition magic. system restore may not help in this case. try all; but i think it would be best for u to reformat/clean reinstalls.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Maybe Vista copied the System files during setup & didn't delete those files when
finishing installation!!

OP
Ambar

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
i cant just reinstall i have been using this installation for more than 1 and a half year without problems.....i have tried viewing all files on the partition...the problem i think is due the vista installation files...

OP
Ambar

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
EagerBeaver said:
Just reformat man...................
dude after formatting ill have to reload all progs againg (and the no. is aroung 250...) can u afford to reinstall all this ....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
can u afford to reinstall all this ....

no hard feelings bro... but in this case u shouldnt have went with a beta version OS !!

when u r tring a Beta /RC version then again that Beta/RC is a OS... u should prepair ur self for this... :(

OP
Ambar

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
then do y mean to say that this is due to the vista BETA 2....and there is no remedy to this other than reinstaling

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you are playing with fire be ready to get your hands burnt sometimes.
Just try to enable 'Show all files' as Vishal said and then check the partition size or the size of essential folders like 'Temp', 'Program Files', Windows' and 'My Document'. Then see if you find anything out of place.

OP
Ambar

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
i just enabled -show system protected files and folders..and came across about 7 ...766 MB files...dont know wht these r for..they are named i.j.k.l...etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom