Windows Could Use a Rush of Fresh Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Whatever microsoft does, I seriously doubt that they would be able to match upto the performance of the Linux Kernel in so short a span of time. :|
What span of time are you talking about? Do you have any inside info about since when MS research has been working any new Kernel?

What span of time are you talking about? Do you have any inside info about since when MS research has been working any new Kernel?
I was comparing this 2012 time you guys were talking about. Do you honestly think this can match 21 years of hard work (by that time) by a million developers ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I was comparing this 2012 time you guys were talking about. Do you honestly think this can match 21 years of hard work (by that time) by a million developers ?
Yes, why not. What you don't understand is that we are talking about a new kernel which will be made from lessons learnt from the past 3 decades. And, hard work, MS has it easy? Does Santa come and drop technology to MS?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, why not. What you don't understand is that we are talking about a new kernel which will be made from lessons learnt from the past 3 decades. And, hard work, MS has it easy? Does Santa come and drop technology to MS?
+1. When you talk about FOSS, everything is free and open. MS Engineers are not so dumb that they don't even understand the open code they see! Computing - whether hardware or software - moves at lightening speed.

Secondly, since the kernel is not open I think its not correct to comment on it since we don't know anything about it.

+1. When you talk about FOSS, everything is free and open. MS Engineers are not so dumb that they don't even understand the open code they see! Computing - whether hardware or software - moves at lightening speed.

Secondly, since the kernel is not open I think its not correct to comment on it since we don't know anything about it.
whatever it is, the future is not exactly clear. its dull and foggy and anything may happen.

So I wish all the best to MS, and hope for their sake that everything turns out well.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^future should be open or else we all succumb to the competition.

Last edited:
^^future is should be open or else we all succumb to the competition.
I know. But that doesn't give me any right to stop M$ from developing $$$ app$.

As a FOSS user, I shall do my part whenever I can to ensure that the world does not ask what OS you use, rather, they start asking what Distro® you use.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I remember this video
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTM5cDIESrY
and the monopoly in "V"

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ 95% of the OS' out there use open source kernels. I didn't point specifically to Linux kernel. I'm also not talking about copying the "whole" kernel as such. Currently it uses tcp/ip stacks from BSD. So it makes perfect sense to take what is good and incorporate it into one's own products.

^^^ 95% of the OS' out there use open source kernels. I didn't point specifically to Linux kernel. I'm also not talking about copying the "whole" kernel as such. Currently it uses tcp/ip stacks from BSD. So it makes perfect sense to take what is good and incorporate it into one's own products.
BSD is released under take what you want but you are not obliged to care about us license.

Linux is different. Its sealed within the community and M$ can have lawsuits against them by the OpenSource community.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
BSD is released under take what you want but you are not obliged to care about us license.

Linux is different. Its sealed within the community and M$ can have lawsuits against them by the OpenSource community.
Didn't get the last time.. if you are confused.. then what I meant was that.. MS doesn't need to take a part of Linux kernel as a whole.. they can look into the code and implement it in their own way...for better or for worse. How then, can you prove that there is Linux code in the kernel?

I'm not saying its copying or whatever.. this post of mine was in reply to your post about MS not catching up with the Linux kernel developed by "millions" over the years.

Didn't get the last time.. if you are confused.. then what I meant was that.. MS doesn't need to take a part of Linux kernel as a whole.. they can look into the code and implement it in their own way...for better or for worse. How then, can you prove that there is Linux code in the kernel?

I'm not saying its copying or whatever.. this post of mine was in reply to your post about MS not catching up with the Linux kernel developed by "millions" over the years.
Good point. But I think the reverse is also possible. You can study MS kernel using reverse engineering and decompiling and try to implement it in your own way too. MS can't prove anything against you.

And it was Million not Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom