Windows bootloader doesn't show up

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Hi, now this is my problem -

I formatted the partition containing Ubuntu 11.04. So now I had to restore the bootloader via the recovery console [simple]. But Me The Great by mistake made the CD to install Windows on another partition.
So I force restarted the PC as soon as I saw the installation take place and now every time I boot up my PC, I see the Windows logo booting and then the Windows XP setup comes up. I tried using fixboot and fixmbr and also repairing but no avail.
The C: [Original Windows] is still intact with all it's files. Can someone tell me how do I make my original Windows booting?

PS - I don't want to re-install Windows again, although I've already spent close to 3 hours fixing it...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post gParted Live screenshot. :)

This is how you take: Saving screenshots from GParted LiveCD? (Page 1) - Live Media - GParted forum

I need to know the partition to which the boot flag is assigned.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
when you go to your recovery console, you get to select which windows installation u want to operate on, so you should get the option to select your previous windows installation. fixboot and fixmbr on that installation.
then through a LIVE CD, restore the GRUB
How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd. - Ubuntu Forums

OP
nisargshah95

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
when you go to your recovery console, you get to select which windows installation u want to operate on, so you should get the option to select your previous windows installation. fixboot and fixmbr on that installation.
then through a LIVE CD, restore the GRUB
How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd. - Ubuntu Forums

The thing is, now I formatted the partition on which I mistakenly tried to install Windows and created another partition and re-installed Ubuntu 11.04. So now whenever I select Windows [original] from the GRUB I am directed to the Windows setup. I am sure that I didn't try to install Windows on that partition same as original Windows...
It's totally messed up...and during this process I mistakenly formatted my drive which contained all my important files and folders.

Post gParted Live screenshot. :)

This is how you take: Saving screenshots from GParted LiveCD? (Page 1) - Live Media - GParted forum

I need to know the partition to which the boot flag is assigned.

I did exactly that. In fact when I opened the recovery console, I only got one option which was the original Windows installation. I did fixmbr and fixboot. Now I've installed Ubuntu on another partition and the GRUB is back. But choosing Windows from GRUB still leads me to the setup.

But the important thing is, all the files (ie programs files, WINDOWS, etc) are still intact on my C:. So why isn't it letting me access my original Windows...?

*img62.imageshack.us/img62/4893/screenshotjac.png

The link you gave was to restore GRUB. I've said before that I formatted the drive containing Ubuntu...

Here's the gparted screenshot -

*img841.imageshack.us/img841/6291/screenshotdevsdagpartedo.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom