windows 7 ready htpc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Dual core is out-dated now. You will be better of with a C2D. The Intel E5200 suggested by desii is a C2D. From the 9500GT and the 9400GT, 9500GT is a better performer but for a HTPC, 9500GT is a little too much. Get the Galaxy 9400GT 512MB which passively cooled and performs decently. It hardly costs 1.8k now :).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^true.

@nihu, if you can increase your budget, go for Core2Quad+P45 chipsetbased rig. cheapest Quad I think is Q8200 (for 8.2k).

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^Already told you.. a 9400GT is a best bet. Galaxy 9400GT 512MB or the Sparkle one. Even the MSI N9400GT is good. If you plan on doing some casual gaming then go for the Zotac 9500GT.

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
Thanks psychosocial & desibond.
Now as per both members suggestion for quadcore I am rethinking for upgrading my budget too!

For reducing my budet I will buy GPU in future.

But now as I am going from entrylevel pc to higher configured PC, I wish my valued pc should not become obselate when DDR3 RAM comes in main stream.I can also remember hype created when RD RAM was introduced, but in few months later it has became flop show.Considering all facts & my inncreased budget too I would like to go for Mother Board which supports both DDR2 & DDR3.At present I will like to go with DDR2 & after reduction of DDR3 price I may upgrade my RAM.

Coment pl.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if you want to buy GPU in the future, you may have to go for AMD setup and onboard GPUs in Intel are really bad. for Intel, atleast get G43/G45.

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
What aboute my query above for combo mother board?
If any member can suggest me DDR2 & DDR3 both supported for quadcore I can finalised.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
mobos accepting DDR2 & DDR3 were kind of failure as they were having too many issues. It's your call whether to go for DDR2 or DDR3. But DDR3 mobos price starts at around 9k for AMD and above 10k for Intel and performance DDR3 is still costly.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Actually you cant call a PC with a quad core, DDR3 RAM and a high-end mobo a HTPC.

HTPC's are supposed to be compact, light, small, power efficient and silent.

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
Now I given up Idea for higher config.Also given up ddr3 idea.
Now I will go for pentium dualcore & 31 chipset mobo.In the same price will I get better config with any AMD processor?I really do not know about AMD processor,but heard that AMD dualcore is better perfoming than intel pentium dualcore.I know that C2D from intel is better perfoing.

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
intel g31 original board do come in mini or micro atx form factor?
If I use smallest of above,any pci e card will go with any form factor?

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
I have found Lenova desktop 5855 FQ at 28.5k with 2 gb ddr3.I WILL meet Local Dealer for spec.

Last edited:

dpuk

teh 479
Hi!
Well, I read the whole thread and it appears to me that the thread starter is just looking for a good pc which is future proof(in layman's terms) and could play everything that he throws at it.

So, Nihu, let me suggest you something good for you. I understand that you want the latest stuff like ddr3 ram, 4 core processor and graphics card and all. But let me tell you buddy, these all things are overkill for your purpose of watching multimedia content on your HDTV(assuming that you're gonna use the htpc on a HDTV).

Get an AMD 7750 processor for rs 3100, an Asus or gigabyte motherboard(with HDMI, DVI, VGA, optical audio out, 7.1 analog audio out, embedded ati 3200 graphics) for around rs.4000.
2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 ram at 800fsb of any good brand like kingston, corsair or transcend...whichever is available to you easily in your locality.
get 1 TB hard disk because HTPCs are supposed to be stuffed with media. You can store all your songs, images, high def movies, DVD movies, etc etc etc.
A branded cabinet(with smps) like iball, zebronics, cooler master, etc etc...
a dvd writer or a blueray reader cum dvd writer(if you wish to play blu ray discs on hard copies instead of the downloaded ones)
a wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse of a good company(be sure that the mouse you're getting has good battery backup else you'll be bugged up by having to change batteries in every few days)

Now, this dual core processor is enough for playing and occasionally encoding all the movies/video/files you throw at it. The graphics chipsets have advanced to a very modern stage and ATi 3200 is a real champ for HTPC's and light gaming like counter strike, NFS, etc, etc on mid settings. Ram 2gb in enough, and btw if you buy 4gb then you wont be able to use more than 3.37gb because the 32bit operating systems can only address this much. Rest will go waste unless you choose to install a 64bit OS which is highly unlikely because the compatibility issues are deal breaker. And be sure that you buy 2 sticks of 1 gb ram coz it will give you DUAL CHANNEL performance, if you just get a single stick of 2gb then it wont do the same.

here you have a good config for an HTPC, light gaming and a general purpose pc.

Item Cost Warranty
Processor rs 3100 3 yrs
mobo rs 4000 3 yrs
Ram(2*1gb) rs 1400 3 yrs
HDD 1TB rs 4500 5 yrs
Cab+smps rs 1500 1 yr
DVD writer rs 1100 3 yrs
keyb+mse rs 1200 3 yrs
card reader rs 200 0 yrs
HDMI Cable rs 500 0 yrs
===================
rs 17,500

Approx Rs 18000 and you have yourself a very nice HTPC(excluding a bluray drive) with all the modern emenities and huge storage capacity.
You can deduct the price of the components which you already have, but in my opinion it's always good to have new stuff which compliments your new setup.

And let me be clear, if you get that Lenovo desktop, or another branded desktop then you will be paying anywhere from 30-50% extra for the same stuff which you can assemble. And not to mention the warranty, which is only 1 year standard. You can extend it, but it will again cost you a bomb. It's always better to build your own thing.

I didn't suggest an intel config because intel boards dont have decent graphics chipset for a reasonable price. AMD is a good choice, don't be bothered by foolish people who say that AMD is not good, AMD is slow or AMD heats up too much...all's crap, I am using AMD in my main desktop, HTPC and my laptop. It rocks!

Hope it helps.
:)
Deepak

OP
nihu

nihu

Broken In
wow! Good config!
No need for add on graphics card for HDTV video & vista aero theme?

dpuk

teh 479
no need of the graphics card at all, this chipset is sufficient for all the HD video you need. I have an amd 3600+(1.9ghz) and an asus motherboard with ati 1200 chipset, 1 gb local dynet ram....and my setup plays HD videos smooth as butter. Don't think too much dude, just get it...
Just buy the pc and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom